Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Sep 5, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #1,712 of 1,998
Sep 5, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #1,714 of 1,998
So i am guessing no chance of installing this mod through a Mac?

Only via a virtual machine I guess, or if someone decides to repack the mod for the Mac installer.

Sep 5, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,716 of 1,998
Windows licenses ain’t expensive and you get to play around with a bunch of software that mac doesn’t have, I was reluctant to give a 40gb partition but at the end I actually appreciated the windows partition, now I can play with the firmwares and update my dongles (ztella and beam2)

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #1,718 of 1,998
Finally got it! Not able to try it much right now, but i had 2 questions:
- Wondering about the new additions related to artwork. Does this mean i could just save the cover art as .png/.jpg in the album folder and it will show? Or do i still need to do the embedding with another app?
- Any chance to send files from pc/mac to the device wirelessly? I know some update regarding bluetooth/nfc is present with this firmware but no idea what it means!

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #1,719 of 1,998
- Wondering about the new additions related to artwork. Does this mean i could just save the cover art as .png/.jpg in the album folder and it will show? Or do i still need to do the embedding with another app?

Normally, only baseline JPEG or non interlaced PNG images will show up as covers. With the modification, all types of JPG and PNG images will work. Feel free to search on Google about the types of JPG and PNG images.

- Any chance to send files from pc/mac to the device wirelessly? I know some update regarding bluetooth/nfc is present with this firmware but no idea what it means!

Such drastic modifications cannot be done without having access to the source code of the app, which is not made available by Sony.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #1,721 of 1,998
Perfect! Thanks very much @MrWalkman. This is outstanding work!

No problem, thanks as well :)

Regarding external image covers, you can place the image in the folder that you wish, and the image's name needs to be the same as the folder's.

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #1,722 of 1,998
@MrWalkman now that I have installed your mod on my NW-A45 (nice work, by the way), when I connect it to Sony's "Music Center For PC" the program thinks that I have a NW-ZX300 series and wants to update the firmware to a newer version. Not a problem, just an observation. I'm really enjoying your mod! Keep up the good work. Thanks!

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #1,723 of 1,998
@MrWalkman now that I have installed your mod on my NW-A45 (nice work, by the way), when I connect it to Sony's "Music Center For PC" the program thinks that I have a NW-ZX300 series and wants to update the firmware to a newer version. Not a problem, just an observation. I'm really enjoying your mod! Keep up the good work. Thanks!

Yup, the mod is based on the ZX300 firmware, this is why basically.

We could have the model as A45 instead of ZX300, but it might... sound differently. This is still a part I didn't discover how it works yet.

Maybe I will try it with the model as A45. Will see.

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #1,724 of 1,998
Yup, the mod is based on the ZX300 firmware, this is why basically.

We could have the model as A45 instead of ZX300, but it might... sound differently. This is still a part I didn't discover how it works yet.

Maybe I will try it with the model as A45. Will see.
The point that I was trying to get across is that the firmware on the mod is based on 2.0 the latest firmware for ZX300 is 2.02 (I think). Again, just observing. :wink:

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #1,725 of 1,998
The point that I was trying to get across is that the firmware on the mod is based on 2.0 the latest firmware for ZX300 is 2.02 (I think). Again, just observing. :wink:

It's based on the 2.02 version of the ZX300, but I changed to 2.00, as the latest A45 firmware is 1.xx something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back