Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Jul 17, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,576 of 1,998
How's the two official cases for the NW-A45/55? The folding one and the rubber one. Worth the $50 or so it will cost to get them over to me? The bottom of my 55 is getting a bitch scratched and I want to preserve it as I really like this DAP.

I have both a rubber and hard plastic one for my A45 . Both from Amazon. The rubber one is good but doesn't have an opening for the SD slot.though they made one for the data port.

The hard plastic one is the one I use the most. All the buttons and ports are exposed but have not had any issues or gained any scratches.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #1,577 of 1,998
Hi guys. Need some info. Could any FM radio station be played using earphones connected to A45/55 and the same music signal be routed via LDAC to any other higher-end DAP with wireless LDAC receiver in it (N8 Pro or 1Z or HiBy R8)?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #1,578 of 1,998
Due to some recent events, current (and future) firmware mods will be available shortly on my blog.

Music is :heart:, forever.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #1,579 of 1,998
Edit: If you want to post this on other forums, it would be nice to provide a link to this post, and not
a direct Google Drive link or anything like that. Thanks!

1597467291852.png

Hello people,

There is a new (unofficial) firmware for the NW-A40Series. Please welcome...

NW-A40Series Reloaded and Reloaded+

This firmware mod is based on the firmware of the NW-ZX300, and it brings the following features:
- new, improved sound
- high gain setting
- Bluetooth Receiver function
- 10 band equalizer
- DSEE HX AI (from DMP-Z1) and other 4 selectable DSEE HX modes
- DC Phase Linearizer with 6 selectable modes
- Vinyl Processor with 4 selectable modes
- Visualizers: Spectrum Analyzer/Analog VU Meter/Digital Peak Meter

- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI

There are some removed features in exchange:
- FM Radio
- Noise cancelling
- Language study

The Reloaded+ version brings a different sound than the normal version, and a slightly
improved battery life.

How to install the modified firmware
1. Connect the player to the computer using the USB cable, and enable
the Mass Storage mode.

2. Open the "Model Switcher" tool, and choose the second option.
The device will do an update, which should take around 1 minute.

1597461340476.png

3. After the device restarts, do a full factory reset.
(Settings > Device Settings > Reset/Format > Restore to Factory Configuration)

4. After the Reset is complete and the device restarted, install one of
the two firmware versions - "A40Series Reloaded" or "A40Series Reloaded+".

While in this "switched" state, you can freely switch between these two firmware versions.

How to get back to the stock firmware
the Mass Storage mode.

1597461876997.png

(Settings > Device Settings > Reset/Format > Restore to Factory Configuration).

4. After the reset is complete and the device restarted, install any version of the official Sony firmware.

Notes
Notes regarding the installation/model switching
- If (usually) Microsoft Defender detects the Model Switcher as having a virus, it does not
have a virus. Feel free to check the file with a more competent antivirus, or just don't try the mod I guess.

- You will not be able to just install the mod without switching the mod first. Please

follow all the steps!

- Do not try to install an official firmware version without switching the model back first!

- A full factory reset will erase the "Hours played" counter (if you care about it),
and it will also erase anything in the internal memory. If you use a MicroSD card,
don't worry about it, as nothing from the MicroSD card gets deleted.

- Using the switcher itself will also reset the "Hours played" counter, but it will
not erase anything from the internal memory of from the MicroSD card.

- If you switched the destination of your player to J, doing a factory reset will make
it unable to change the language. To change the language, switch the destination
to another one, change the language as desired, and then you can change the
destination back to J. If you never heard of destinations, you have nothing to worry
about. (
Rockbox destination tool)

- If you will still get any "Database issue" errors after doing the full factory reset,
just do another full factory reset. Once the error is gone, it will stay gone until you
will use the "A40Series Reloaded Switcher" tool again. The error is usually gone
after the first full factory reset.

Notes regarding the use of the mod
- Having "Direct Source" mode on while playing DSD files, will result in no sound
being played back.

Screenshots
screenshot_20170101_000400486.png screenshot_20170101_000425767.png screenshot_20170101_000436927.png screenshot_20170101_000454663.png
screenshot_20170101_000509087.png screenshot_20170101_000526776.png screenshot_20170101_000548489.png screenshot_20170101_000602618.png
screenshot_20170101_000629202.png screenshot_20170101_000709545.png screenshot_20170101_001005075.png

LINK

I hope you'll enjoy this. Feel free to give it a try and leave your feedback. :)
You beautiful son of a gun

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #1,581 of 1,998
oh man! you took my language study option!!! oh god !! whyyy @MrWalkman (said no one ever)

Haha, I thought the same 😅

I like FM radio though, but it's not such a big deal for me, especially that I'm in a country where I don't understand the language yet.

Aug 15, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,583 of 1,998
downloading the file, ive done it 2 times since the first time the connection failed... i think i havent paid my internet service and its being cut down to a 1/4 of the speed...hmmm anyways, will post asap

Good that I put everything in one archive at least, I guess.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #1,584 of 1,998
Edit: If you want to post this on other forums, it would be nice to provide a link to this post, and not

1597467291852.png

Hello people,

This firmware mod is based on the firmware of the NW-ZX300, and it brings the following features:
- new, improved sound
- high gain setting
- 10 band equalizer

This is a nice surprise! Thanks!

Aug 15, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #1,585 of 1,998
Good that I put everything is one archive at least, I guess.
3 days ago i was like "im going to get a qudelix 5k later this year" maybe ill get it since PEQ sounds like a ton of fun, nw a45 its not the wm1a... BUT!! dude... the sub bass... the rumble... and the sound quality we are getting... it feels like an earthquake... i think i can settle for a couple of years with this as my daily driver setup, seriously... you blew this one out of the park @MrWalkman

first off: BT receiver mode, second: full audio menu (as in wm1a) and third, the + version of the firmware... seriously, worth every single penny. with this, the a45 just turned into the cheapest most impressive DAP in the market right now

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #1,586 of 1,998

Hello people,

- new, improved sound
- high gain setting
- 10 band equalizer

- FM Radio
- Noise cancelling
- Language study

The Reloaded+ version brings a different sound than the normal version, and a slightly
improved battery life.

the Mass Storage mode.

2. Open the "Model Switcher" tool, and choose the first option.

While in this "switched" state, you can freely switch between these two firmware versions.

the Mass Storage mode.

4. After the reset is complete and the device restarted, install any version of the official Sony firmware.

Notes
- If (usually) Microsoft Defender detects the Model Switcher as having a virus, it does not
have a virus. Feel free to check the file with a more competent antivirus, or just don't try the mod I guess.

- You will not be able to just install the mod without switching the model first. Please

follow all the steps!

- Do not try to install an official firmware version without switching the model back first!

- A full factory reset will erase the "Hours played" counter (if you care about it),
and it will also erase anything in the internal memory. If you use a MicroSD card,

- Using the switcher itself will also reset the "Hours played" counter, but it will

- If you switched the destination of your player to J, doing a factory reset will make
it unable to change the language. To change the language, switch the destination
destination back to J. If you never heard of destinations, you have nothing to worry
about. (

- If you will still get any "Database issue" errors after doing the full factory reset,
just do another full factory reset. Once the error is gone, it will stay gone until you
will use the "A40Series Reloaded Switcher" tool again. The error is usually gone

- Having "Direct Source" mode turned on while playing DSD files, will result in no sound
being played back.

Screenshots

LINK

I hope you'll enjoy this. Feel free to give it a try and leave your feedback. :)

Nominated for Head-Fi’s most important personality! ...........ever.

6AEE0D59-5220-403E-BA3C-59A84CC2D785.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #1,587 of 1,998
3 days ago i was like "im going to get a qudelix 5k later this year" maybe ill get it since PEQ sounds like a ton of fun, nw a45 its not the wm1a... BUT!! dude... the sub bass... the rumble... and the sound quality we are getting... it feels like an earthquake... i think i can settle for a couple of years with this as my daily driver setup, seriously... you blew this one out of the park @MrWalkman

first off: BT receiver mode, second: full audio menu (as in wm1a) and third, the + version of the firmware... seriously, worth every single penny. with this, the a45 just turned into the cheapest most impressive DAP in the market right now

Yes, I'm impressed as well by this little fella! Getting a used one, or even a new one, and installing this firmware really turns it into a bargain. I put the 512GB card from the 1A into the A45 to really test how it sounds like 😁

Also, the UI is noticeable faster. The 1.10 version is similar to WM1A/Z's previous laggy firmware, while this new one is similar to the newer not-laggy ones.

Nominated for Head-Fi’s most important personality! ...........ever.

Ha, what's missing is a Walkman badge, like the Canjam ones I've seen 😅

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #1,588 of 1,998

1597467291852.png

Hello people,

- new, improved sound
- high gain setting
- 10 band equalizer

- FM Radio
- Noise cancelling
- Language study

improved battery life.

the Mass Storage mode.

2. Open the "Model Switcher" tool, and choose the first option.

1597461340476.png

the Mass Storage mode.

1597461876997.png

Notes

- You will not be able to just install the mod without switching the model first. Please

follow all the steps!

about. (

- Having "Direct Source" mode turned on while playing DSD files, will result in no sound
being played back.

Screenshots
screenshot_20170101_000400486.png screenshot_20170101_000425767.png screenshot_20170101_000436927.png screenshot_20170101_000454663.png
screenshot_20170101_000509087.png screenshot_20170101_000526776.png screenshot_20170101_000548489.png screenshot_20170101_000602618.png
screenshot_20170101_000629202.png screenshot_20170101_000709545.png screenshot_20170101_001005075.png

LINK

Unbelievable! Great stuff you are providing. Thank you so much!!!

Just one question: will the modded FW disable the VTP surround sound function? This is one sound feature I really like and I am missing on my modded WM1A cameleon. I think, ZX300 doesn't have it....

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,589 of 1,998

Just one question: will the modded FW disable the VTP surround sound function? This is one sound feature I really like and I am missing on my modded WM1A cameleon. I think, ZX300 doesn't have it....

Thanks!

Oh, indeed, no VPT surround function. Just edited the post to specify that.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #1,590 of 1,998

its worth it, the vinyl processor and the DC phase linearizer are ultra worth it

been listening to varius tunes while working, the sub bass is second to none, seriuosly can feel the rumble, power is perfect for iems, high gain does bring an extra punch into the mix, havent messed around with the EQ, lately im trying not to, but seriously can tell right away the difference, comparing the situation, this along with the ltp s1 are the perfect carry on combo, i think im done with my carry on search:

NW a45 for BT streaming (long trips, long walks... almost ANYTHING)
LTP s1 for wired streaming (work)
Hilidac audirect beam2 to carry around light weight

i dont carry out my wm1a, too much money to carry around a quite insecure city lately...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back