Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Oct 26, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #1,471 of 1,997
No worries, here are some instructions I found on another site for playlists. They must be followed otherwise playlist files will be empty on the device.

To synchronize Music and Playlists on your Walkman, with leveled sound and embedded artwork, first connected it then select: Edit \ Preferences \ Devices.

Click on your Walkman, or its internal SD card if you have one, depending on where you want to store your music and playlists.

Click on Configure.

On the default “Music” tab select the Playlists you want to synchronize; do NOT check “synchronize music.”

Click on the “Settings” tab.

Under “media storage” the “storage path” should be the drive letter of your Walkman’s storage, either internal or the SD card.

Check, “use naming template.”

The “music files” template should be: Music\<Album Artist><Album><Title>, plus any other information you want to display.

Under “on the fly conversion” check, “convert to” and select the File Format and degree of Compression you want to use, even if your files are already converted on your PC.

Select, “only convert files not already formatted as…”

Check, “level volume” and then select either Track or Album leveling.

Under “playlist storage” the “playlists path” MUST be: MUSIC\

If you don’t set the Playlist path correctly the Playlist will be created but will NOT work!!! (I missed that step a bunch of times!
cry.gif
)

Do NOT Check, “create a sub-folder for each playlist and its tracks,” IF you have tracks that appear in multiple Playlists; see Note 1.

“save as format” should be: M3U

Under “artwork storage” select, “embed artwork in the music file.”

Click, Save \ Apply \ Save, and you should be good to go!

Next go to one of your Playlists and, Right Click \ Send To \ Device \ your Walkman’s internal storage or SD card.

Once the transfer is complete go to the Sony’s main screen and click on “Playlists” and you should see the Playlist you’ve just created with the number of individual tracks it contains, then go to the Folder view, and you should see all the music that has been transferred to the device; see Notes 2 & 3.

Thanks for this, l ordered NW-A45 yesterday l was going to just use the Sony software but l will give MusicBee a go first.

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #1,472 of 1,997
After a new DAP, was considering a Hiby R5 but wouldn't use half of what it can do, was then going to stick with my phone and a USB dac, but not sure it would work with Huawei P30. Anyways, contemplating one of these and it looks like....

Gapless is perfectly fine on flac and MP3? I've also got an SD card with music already - assume that will be just plug and play?

Cheers

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,473 of 1,997
After a new DAP, was considering a Hiby R5 but wouldn't use half of what it can do, was then going to stick with my phone and a USB dac, but not sure it would work with Huawei P30. Anyways, contemplating one of these and it looks like....

Gapless is perfectly fine on flac and MP3? I've also got an SD card with music already - assume that will be just plug and play?

Cheers

Music has to be inside a Music folder in the root of the card and album art must not be progressive. I’m not sure if gapless works on mp3 as I don’t have any but it’s perfect on flac.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #1,474 of 1,997
I think the player does expect a certain file structure on the card so I'm not sure if you can just drop in your card without it matching. I'm not at a computer right but but I'm not sure.

As for gapless I just tested it with a couple albums where it matters. It worked fine with both mp3 and FLAC.

I've been really happy with this purchase since I made it a few weeks ago. It pairs really well with my Westone W40s and for traveling, which I do weekly, the battery life is such a great thing to have.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #1,476 of 1,997
Thanks all, my SD card has a music folder with the albums by folder inside - I usually play by folder browsing

Folder browsing is supported

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #1,478 of 1,997
Thanks all, now order one or wait for the 55

have not tried the 55 but am totally happy with the 45, as far as I’m aware the only feature the 55 has over the 45 is bluetooth receiver mode. I mostly use the 45 with my XM3 full size BT phones with ldac and in that role the 45 should be as good as the 55, I can not hear any difference between the 45 and my 1Z over ldac. The 45 also works fine single ended with my JH13 custom iems. The 45 supports 1TB microSD cards with no problem though it feels wierd that the memory card cost more than double of what the entire player cost. If streaming is important you might want to wait fir the new A100 but then you would loose usb dac and bt receiver as the 100 dont have them

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #1,480 of 1,997
Thanks all, just re read and spotted a comment regarding progressive album art, what does that mean?

Thanks

jpg files come in 2 basic formats, baseline and progressive and the Sony OS players only support baseline whereas the Android players support both formats. So if a picture that normally shows is just displayed as a ? It is most likely because it is progressive and has to be converted. The 2 formats has to do with how the pictures are rendered on the screen while being displayed

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #1,482 of 1,997
Thanks, think I'll order this as the EU volume cap can be removed as well

yes if you just want a simple and easy and compact and stable player for on board files I don’t think you can go wrong with it

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #1,484 of 1,997
I've read through the details to tweak the volume settings (EU model), seems OK (ish), is there a risk of bricking the device if its done wrong or messed up?

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,485 of 1,997
I've read through the details to tweak the volume settings (EU model), seems OK (ish), is there a risk of bricking the device if its done wrong or messed up?

I doubt it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back