Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Oct 17, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #301 of 1,998
It works on the ZX300 because I actually dumped my device configuration and sent it to the developer so he could add support for it.

You need to run the following commands and send the sonynwz_result.txt to the developer (see help_us in the rockbox page)

scsitool-nwz-v12 X: get_dhp >> sonynwz_result.txt

scsitool-nwz-v12 X: get_dnk_nvp_multi kas shp sps fmp pcd mid ctr fpi fur fvi ins lyr nvr prk rbt she sku ums ups clv pwd clg >> sonynwz_result.txt

Replace X by your walkman drive letter.

Make sure you use the latest version.

I sent the device information to their email address. Hopefully I can get the player changed and running soon! I took out the blah_blah from their email address. Is that right? Sorry, I’m an absolute noob. I had to dig through this forum when I found out my device was for Japan only.

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #302 of 1,998
I sent the device information to their email address. Hopefully I can get the player changed and running soon! I took out the blah_blah from their email address. Is that right? Sorry, I’m an absolute noob. I had to dig through this forum when I found out my device was for Japan only.
That's right, you had to take that out.

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #303 of 1,998
Very true but I don't only listen via bluetooth I also use headphones as well. I already have a smartphone and I am willing to bet the A45 sounds better than my smartphone via headphones. I use my smartphone for business and personal use and prefer to keep my 125 GB of music on a separate device as I need the storage space on my phone for personal and customer information.

I am merely pointing out that there are other options to buying a $800.00 DAP that provides more flexibility and in the case of a receiver better sound than the ZX300 alone and even more power on tap if needed. While I don't use equing on my DAP's I am sure if you find the A45 sound bland you can tweak it to change the sound and get it closer to the ZX300. It seems this argument just goes round and round as there is no single best option. I know that for me the A45 fits my needs and budget and pairs well with my existing audio hardware including two bluetooth speakers. LDAC bluetooth while sounding great does drain the battery faster so having the extra battery life of the A45 vs the ZX300 is another good reason to go with the A45.

No one is ever going to convince me to pony up for a ZX300 or any other $800.00 DAP especially if the battery is not user replaceable. My home receiver is going to last me a lot longer than any DAP at any price and I would rather spend $300.00 on a new DAP every few years vs $800.00.

For me to import a 64GB A45 from Amazon Japan (cheapest for me) it would cost me £317. With the 64GB ZX300 dropping recently on Amazon UK for £473, its not a massive price increase to get a quality aluminium cased player with balanced output that can drive more demanding headphones. I do have to wait a few weeks for my ZX300 to ship though.

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #304 of 1,998
For me to import a 64GB A45 from Amazon Japan (cheapest for me) it would cost me £317. With the 64GB ZX300 dropping recently on Amazon UK for £473, its not a massive price increase to get a quality aluminium cased player with balanced output that can drive more demanding headphones. I do have to wait a few weeks for my ZX300 to ship though.
1. The 64GB version is the A47
2. I only saw it for sale at £600 on Amazon.co.uk

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #305 of 1,998
1. The 64GB version is the A47
2. I only saw it for sale at £600 on Amazon.co.uk

I know, got lucky in UK for once :smile_phones: price only dropped for around 2 days.

Was mixed up with the number coding as on Japanese site just show as NW – A40 https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product..._act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AN1VRQENFRJN5

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #307 of 1,998
I’m planning on using the new Sony NW-A45 connected via USB (Windows 10 pc) in DAC mode to stream Tidal with MQA to my Sony 1000x over Bluetooth. Can someone please confirm that it’s a supported configuration? Thank you!

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #308 of 1,998
I’m planning on using the new Sony NW-A45 connected via USB (Windows 10 pc) in DAC mode to stream Tidal with MQA to my Sony 1000x over Bluetooth. Can someone please confirm that it’s a supported configuration? Thank you!

Don't know about the A40's but I think someone on the ZX300 thread mentioned that device will not work with bluetooth in USB DAC mode, so definitely verify this beforehand. If not, at least you can get USB AptX dongle (or aptx HD if newer version of 1000x IIRC)

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #309 of 1,998
Don't know about the A40's but I think someone on the ZX300 thread mentioned that device will not work with bluetooth in USB DAC mode, so definitely verify this beforehand. If not, at least you can get USB AptX dongle (or aptx HD if newer version of 1000x IIRC)

That a shame if it’s not supported. Was hoping for my office setup to go wireless.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #311 of 1,998

That is great except I live in Canada and not the UK!!. We almost never get price drops here on portable electronics. As an example I bought my A17 for $279.00 CDN October 2014. Today you can still buy it but the price is now $349.00 with lower Canadian dollar. The ZX100 is selling for the same price today as when it was released. This is the same with every Sony DAP that is currently available. The ZX300 is set at $799.00 CDN and the A45 $299.00 CDN. Chances are those prices won't drop at all even months after release. If we are lucky you might see a $20.00 drop on Boxing Day if it is even available for sale at that point. To preorder the ZX300 from bhphotovideo I am looking at just under $1000.00 CDN with tax and brokerage fees and shipping is free vs $902.00 CDN with tax. For the A45 I am looking at $310.00 total imported from bhphotovideo vs $338.00 CDN with tax.

So it would be almost $100.00 cheaper to buy the ZX300 in Canada if and when it goes on sale in Canada vs importing from the US. The A45 is cheaper to import than buy in Canada so even greater reason to get the A45 vs ZX300 as the A45 will likely be available in the US months before we get it in Canada. Also I just checked the ZX300 on amazon UK site 30 seconds ago and it is £600.00 with eta of 1 to 2 months and amazon UK will not ship the ZX300 to Canada. I am not now or ever going to consider a ZX300 unless someone gives me one which ain't going to happen.

So assuming we get the ZX300 and A45 in the US the same time as the UK it will be Black Friday or just before Christmas before you can get your hands on either one. It is starting to look like the prediction of an early 2018 release for these two DAP's outside of Asia might not be that far off the mark at least for Canada.

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #312 of 1,998
Apparently the A35 in Veridian Blue and Cinnabar Red have been discontinued at least in the US. The black is still available and I am guessing Sony delayed the release of the A45 to try and clear out the remaining A35 stock so they aren't stuck with alot of inventory. It seems you can still order the Veridian Blue and Cinnabar Red from Sony Canada (gentec site) at the full retail price of course, no deals here.

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #313 of 1,998
That a shame if it’s not supported. Was hoping for my office setup to go wireless.
I don't really get that. why not just put a BT dongle on your computer or use a cellphone for source? what's the point of using the DAP as an external DAC to then send it all through bluetooth anyway??? you remove the DAP aspect by feeding it some other source, and you remove the DAC and amp aspect by using BT. you're left with a super fancy extension cable. what am I missing here?

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #314 of 1,998
I don't really get that. why not just put a BT dongle on your computer or use a cellphone for source? what's the point of using the DAP as an external DAC to then send it all through bluetooth anyway??? you remove the DAP aspect by feeding it some other source, and you remove the DAC and amp aspect by using BT. you're left with a super fancy extension cable. what am I missing here?
One useful feature I can see is to use LDAC. AFAK neither Mac OS nor Windows supports it so using the DAP as transmitter might actually be pretty cool. Now if somebody made a IEM cable that supports LDAC (Sony has this neckband style thing)... Maybe PLUSSOUND will make one (they have AptX but not HD and no LDAC). Wish Sony made something nice with good braided cable (they have this Just Ear brand after all). Don't want the rubbery and plasticky thing.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #315 of 1,998

I want a new DAP for my on the go needs and was hoping to laverage LDAC for best quality BT at the office. I do currently use my iPhone and it sound good with the 1000x but I cannot wait to try LDAC for my FLAC collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back