Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Jul 21, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,441 of 1,997
I am planing to buy my first dedicated DAP and i am between the A45 and Cowon Plenue D. What i want mostly in a DAP, is:

1. Long battery life.
2. Lots of storage/expandable storage.
3. Attractive, easy to use UI & good and easy to use physical design.
4. Sound quality.
5. Easy to transfer music with a Mac (preferably drag-and-drop method).
6. No additional apps, features, whatever. This will be used purely to play music files (MP3 and FLAC).

Based on everything i have read, A45 easily wins on point 3, but Cowon is a winner in points 1 and 4, while both are same-ish on point 2.
Still undecided though...

Find something newer, especially, if you have a big collection of files.
They are fine as a player, but Cowon, if I good remember, format SD cards only in FAT32, which has boundaries in number of files and depth of folders, but Sony has stupid on-any-start-building-database function, so it is unusable (sometimes it finished in 2-30 min and it is unusable during that period) or finished in bootloop (bc. sometimes it finished building not).

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #1,442 of 1,997
Find something newer, especially, if you have a big collection of files.
They are fine as a player, but Cowon, if I good remember, format SD cards only in FAT32, which has boundaries in number of files and depth of folders, but Sony has stupid on-any-start-building-database function, so it is unusable (sometimes it finished in 2-30 min and it is unusable during that period) or finished in bootloop (bc. sometimes it finished building not).

Just don’t turn the unit off. I have had Sony players for 4-5 years and the only times they have been powered down or rebooted have been when I have updated fw.

Jul 22, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #1,444 of 1,997
FWIW this player is going for $149 right now on Amazon and Best Buy, I assume thanks to the A50 series being out. If you don't care for the Bluetooth receiver, smoother UI, and "vinyl processor" of the A50 series it might be worth getting. My A45 is coming in tomorrow, definitely excited to try it out in spite of the headache the album art is gonna bring.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #1,446 of 1,997
Hi,
I'm looking to buy an Nwa45, but I don't know his impedance output. I'm going to pair it an Se846, which have a really low impedance... Can anyone help me?

Sony normally don't publish this info and the designers of the 1A and 1Z are on record for saying that it is irrellevant at least for those 2 players

Jul 23, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #1,448 of 1,997
I have read somewhere that the output impedance is around 10 ohms.
That would be terrible, I think it’s 1 or below. With my low impedance IEMs (some as low as 8 ohm) I would have heard it, if it had 10 Ohm....I guess.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #1,449 of 1,997
Better later than never I'm now a proud owner of the A45 :L3000: I really like it so far with my MSR7b. The sound is slightly warm and inoffensive. Soundstage is wide with good depth as long it's in the recording. Definitely a step up from my cellphone. These are now pretty cheap so they are a great bargain.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #1,451 of 1,997
Sep 25, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,452 of 1,997
Sep 26, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #1,453 of 1,997
Thanks for the feedback. Do you feel that there would be notably better sound quality with a $100 amp or DAC? If so, does anyone know if there's another cable I can use in tandem with the FiiO L27 that ends in a USB-C male connector so I can connect the player to a FiiO K3 DAC? I would also be okay with a WM-Port to USB-C cable.

Sep 28, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #1,455 of 1,997
I have added the NW-A45 in the short list of what to buy for my first dap, however i haven’t been able to get non conflicting information on M3U playlist support. Now my music mood changes like the British weather, so do like to have a few different playlists.

Rock
Guilty Pleasures
Individual Album playlists

Am I right in thinking that I am able to create a playlist in something like Mediamonkey & then transfer it over along with the tracks to the internal storage of the NW-A45, from which I can then load up the chosen playlist whilst on the go ?.

Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back