1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by bizkid, Jul 11, 2017.
First

Back
85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94
96 97 98 99 100 101
Next

Last
  1. twd2003
    True...Sony really needs to change a lot of things about their Walkman lineup but for some reason they refuse. I guess it's 'cos they are basically the only premium brand doing Linux OS so there isn't much competition

2. twd2003
    The DAC Apple uses in their dongle is pretty rubbish...I think the best phones for audio are the new LG flagships and the Essential Phone with that USD 150 audio adapter they sell

3. twd2003
    Also @BbOO have you considered Sony's NW-A55?

4. BbOO
    Not really. I would prefer to stay on the price range of A45.
    Is there any distinct advantage of A55?

5. twd2003
    Not really...it's more of like a Samsung Galaxy S8/S9 update- incremental instead of groundbreaking. That said, build quality is supposedly significantly improved as it's all aluminium and it also has Bluetooth receiver mode.
    P.S. If you are willing to wait, it should go down to A-45 prices around September or so. Also, you should try keeping an eye out on Massdrop 'cos they have some pretty good deals on DAPs from time to time

6. nc8000 Contributor
    I use my A45 exclusively for streaming flac files to the 1000XM3 headphones over LDAC and for that use it is great

BadReligionPunk likes this.
  7. BadReligionPunk
    That's mainly what I use it for. My phone is only Android 6 and I refuse to upgrade as my phone is still good and has a nice dac in it.
    Also as a child of the 80s it feels nice to have a Walkman lol

twd2003 likes this.
  8. BadReligionPunk
    No idea. Sony keeps that info on lock. Probably not that good so secrets.

9. twd2003
    I'm Gen Z but the whole Walkman heritage thing did contribute somewhat to me choosing it over a FiiO DAP

10. twd2003
    PSA: if any of y'all bought your devices in the US, Europe, HK etc. you can switch the Japanese firmware (which has an English language option) and a few more features (e.g. removing the volume limiter present in some regions). This can also be used for all NW- and NWZ- series players. The tutorial is here: https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

11. twd2003
    Hey guys, does anyone know how to connect a Sony NW-A45 to a Schiit Modi 3, Magni 3 and Loki?

12. QsTree
    Yes, working & nice additional features (eg record function, generation of playlists). But...
    Be aware that in case of a factory reset the language get switched to Japanese. Can be changed but you need to find the correct folder (eg using the userguide).

13. Weaves
    I'm not sure, but I think it would go like this;

a45 wmport out using the Sony WMC-nwh10 cable.
    usb A-male to micro usb from SONY cable to MODI micro usb input
    MODI RCA out to LOKI RCA in
    LOKI RCA out to MAGNI RCA in

i know earlier Walkmans used the wmport as a line out. I'm not sure if you are double amping with the a45 though..

Good luck

14. twd2003
    Thanks!

15. Andreaseb
    I got the NW-A45 player yesterday. Initial impressions:
    Great UI, very fast and responsive. The player feels nice and seems to be of great quality for it's price point.
    At first I thought the sound was good, but it felt a bit too clean and sterile.
    Maybe I'm imagining but after I changed the region to Japan and deleted the volume cap it sounds better. The overall sound seems more mature and natural. Maybe something changed in the high frequencies making it sound more natural?

So if the battery life in this thing is as good as everything else this is a real winner! :)

First

Back
85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94
96 97 98 99 100 101
Next

Last