Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #601 of 1,998
This seems a bit weird. Out of excitement and impatience, I immediately inserted my 32gb micro sd card in the A45 as soon as I bought it. The card has been used and formatted in my fiio x1 2nd gen and worked instantly in the A45. Database was loaded without any problems.

Is yours a X1 or a X3. Mine is an X3, which format the SD card in FAT32. Issue is that I used Windows 10 to reformat the cards to exFat, but still they were not recognized by either the A45 or my Sony camera. Sony UI compared to Fiio is night and day, the only thing I miss is the line out to feed my Fiio headphone amp. I hope Sony will update the firmware in the future to support the WH1000XM2 as currently the DSEE HX and Equalizer functions of the A45 only work for the audio port. If they can do it for iOS, they can certainly do for the proprietary os of the A45.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #602 of 1,998
Is yours a X1 or a X3. Mine is an X3, which format the SD card in FAT32. Issue is that I used Windows 10 to reformat the cards to exFat, but still they were not recognized by either the A45 or my Sony camera. Sony UI compared to Fiio is night and day, the only thing I miss is the line out to feed my Fiio headphone amp. I hope Sony will update the firmware in the future to support the WH1000XM2 as currently the DSEE HX and Equalizer functions of the A45 only work for the audio port. If they can do it for iOS, they can certainly do for the proprietary os of the A45.
That's interesting, since my A35 has a 256GB card formatted as exFAT with 256K cluster size and formatted in Win10. I've never had an issue with it reading between it, my Cayin N3, or Fiio X1-II. I also have a set of 200GB PNY cards that are exFAT used in the players.

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #603 of 1,998
Typically, EQ can never be used directly on BT. Bluetooth is a transport, not a rendering protocol. It does nothing but move a digital stream of data from one place to another (just like WiFi/Zigbee/Ethernet). It has no idea what data it is moving; as far as it is concerned, a jpg is no different than a flac stream. Only the stream header has any info on how the endpoint should handle the incoming raw data.

The audio data is encoded directly to a digital stream in BT protocol, then sent to the receiving device. It is up to the end device to decode the data stream and render it into analog audio (the DAC). It can then have effects/eq/leveling applied. In order for a transmitter to apply EQ to *anything* going out BT, it must first decode the digital data, apply the effects, and reencode into BT - that would take a lot of processor power. Some devices have a hardware DSP chip that can do this internally, but for most SoC devices, it would be up to the SoC designer to integrate the functionality, which increases cost and power consumption. With most DAPs, the internal DAC is bypassed when sending out via BT, so no processing is handled by the DAP itself.

Wired headphones can EQ easily, as the device decodes the audio data in it's built-in DAC on it's way out to the headphones. Once the signal becomes analog beyond the DAC (or inside the DAC) EQ and effects can be applied to the analog audio stream before amplification. In the case of BT, this stream would exist not in the transmitting device, but at the endpoint (speaker, HP, or external DAC).
what you describe is right, except that bluetooth audio is almost never just a streaming protocol. I don't wish to have a debate over each and every settings and possible situations, but BT audio streaming choices usually aren't lossless. that alone should make it clear that we're not just discussing data protocol like with wifi, ethernet, or even bluetooth when used to send pure data. I don't know for AAC protocols when also using AAC files, but for other option it's safe to assume that a conversion is applied before sending the signal to the headphone.

as for why it's available or not, well it's clearly sony's decision and not a matter of design. I can use EQ on my old A15, I have a setting specifically for that, in: settings -> bluetooth settings -> sound effect preset. where I chose ON or OFF.
of course it works the way you explain, my mp3 is decoded to PCM, the EQ is applied, then the signal is converted into whatever compressed codec is used for APTX(as that's the best I can use with my combo), then the headphone will read that stuff, extract it again to PCM for the internal DAC to convert it to analog. a lot of stuff going on and it certainly makes my DAP laggy and introduces an extra delay compared to not having that option turned ON. but it just goes to show that even Sony knows how to do it when they want to.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #604 of 1,998
Hey guys you all have been a big help! Well I wanted to replace my aging iPod with the A45. 50% of my listening time is Podcasts. So needles to say finding out that the A45 does not support Podcast was a major disappointment! (But we get a useless FM receiver?). I'm still considering getting the A45 as I assumed I could just convert the Podcast into mp3's and load them into playlists. An inconvenient but workable solution. So I downloaded Sony Music Center to get everything set up and ready to go when the A45 arrives. I noticed that Music Center downloads all of my Podcast as mp3's anyway so I assumed all I would have to do is create a playlist for them and copy them to it. Nope! I can't create a playlist of Podcast mp3's Music center won't let me. I can click on music and add files from there. But when I click Podcast it boots me out of create playlist. Am I missing something? Does anyone have a work around for this. In ITunes you can right click any file and send it to any playlist.

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #605 of 1,998
Feb 12, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #608 of 1,998
Feb 13, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #609 of 1,998
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-13 at 4.06.00 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-13 at 4.06.00 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-13 at 4.06.01 PM.jpeg
Looks somehow the same(?) I can't wait for mine, because I feel really guilty putting the A45 in my pocket, naked. I feel like my pocket's gonna scratch the hell out of it.

Anyway, please do a review of the case if you can. :)
the case its really pretty, it comes with a screen protector too! (pardon my skills tried my best in putting it on) the case is not that stiff, it can stretch a bit (like phone cases) Overall i really liked the transparent ones because mine is the pale gold unit and felt that it goes better with transparent casing! However im guessing it will change colour as time passes though! side buttons still works perfectly, although there's more resistance to them and the bottom has a hole for the 3.5mm jack as well as a flap for the 22pin usb !

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #610 of 1,998
the case its really pretty, it comes with a screen protector too! (pardon my skills tried my best in putting it on) the case is not that stiff, it can stretch a bit (like phone cases) Overall i really liked the transparent ones because mine is the pale gold unit and felt that it goes better with transparent casing! However im guessing it will change colour as time passes though! side buttons still works perfectly, although there's more resistance to them and the bottom has a hole for the 3.5mm jack as well as a flap for the 22pin usb !

Looks fantastic!!!

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #612 of 1,998

That looks great! Thanks for the review and the photos. :)

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #615 of 1,998
Yes I meant these impedances. Are you replying from your own experience with the a40/a30?

I should emphasize the word *decent* that I used as I'm aware that the output level is rather low at 35mw. However, my Sansa Clip manages just 20mw and it still got the Beyerdynamic T90 loud enough and sound reasonably dynamic. But the DT880 is 6dB less sensitive at the same 250ohm impedance so it requires X4 the amount of power to bring to the same volume. So that's why I'm asking about the slightly more powerful A40.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back