Sony NOW taking pre-orders for Nano Rival. (Solid Specs / Prices)
Mar 5, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #46 of 52
what if cowon A is UMS and can browse with tags and the ipod is UMS and browses with tags? you haven't conveyed that the ipod requires software and the cowon does not.

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what if cowon A is UMS and can browse with tags and the ipod is UMS and browses with tags? you haven't conveyed that the ipod requires software and the cowon does not.

The Cowon needs an OS and a file manager so they both need software. The iPod just needs MORE software.
icon10.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #49 of 52
Ahem...zip and sparky, is it? A room for two, I presume?

Anyway, despite being and iPod/Apple guy I'm getting more and more interested in what's coming from the competition. Frankly, small screen or not on the Sony, I'd love to have one for music and/or for watching an episode of, say, Family Guy on the bus/train. The problem as I see it, be it Apple's, Sony's and most other companies offerings is that I need to transcode my videos.

What I want is a pmp that is *small* (8gb of flash is ok) but takes most common video formats "as is". That is, say I have a video in xvid vga-res. All I should need to do is to copy the file over to my pmp which would play it flawlessly - sure it has to scale to fit the screen.

In fact this is exactly what I'm already doing with my PDA, Axim x50v. Using TCPMP all I have to do is to copy the file to my memory card and play it, fullspeed and everything - it starts even quicker than my computer would with the exact same file, maybe a second or two for a 700mb xvid file! The cons are battery life (although the 2200mAh one is ok, but a tad big and heavy) and lack of storage...and the rest of the OS GUI I guess. Oh, and no line-out
biggrin.gif

Edit: Er... maybe there is such a device already? Does anyone know? Does the Cowon D2, for example, use its own format, needing transcoding?

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #51 of 52
For the SonicStage haters, download the newest version (4.3) and play around with it. I used to share your opinion (I was using Sonicstage 2.x) but the software has gotten much better over the last few years.

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the SonicStage haters, download the newest version (4.3) and play around with it. I used to share your opinion (I was using Sonicstage 2.x) but the software has gotten much better over the last few years.

Maybe stick to 4.2 which I've seen very few complaints about. 4.3 seems to be a rush job to add Vista support and there a few people having problems with it. It worked fine for me on the one machine I tried it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back