sony mz-r55 MD player
Oct 13, 2002 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ingenious28

New Head-Fier
hey all
the other day i was literally hand this Sony MD player.
Now im not up to date on portable audio at all, and i was wondering how good of a MD player this was, or if there really is a difference between quality of these players at all.

Oct 13, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 23
Hi,
The R55 was a world smallest model in 1998. The player is a standard MD player/recorder. This in not MDLP capable. It uses ATRAC4.5 chip. It was also top of the line. The bad things about this problem are: medicore battery life (4 hours on NH-14wm) and Phantom problem. Anyway, it should sound good.

Oct 13, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 23
heh, guess i luck out then
smily_headphones1.gif

thanx

Oct 14, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 23
R55 has the sound quality and line out of the R-50. The only flaw is the medicore batt life. If the Phantom problem exists, it would be on the junk yard by now. Use the attach battery to increase battery life.

Purk

Oct 14, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 23
yep, I should have defined the word....but well...I was tired of typing.
wink.gif
thanks for interpreting that.

Purk

Oct 14, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
R55 has the sound quality and line out of the R-50.
Purk

I was under the assumption the R50 is based on Atrac 4.0...at least that's what it sounds like to my ears.

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #9 of 23
Gloco,
I probably said it wrong. The headphone out of the R55 should be better, since R-50 tends to distort at high volume or bass passage. If my memory serve me correct, R55 has a dedicate line out, right?

Purk

Oct 14, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 23
A bit out of subject...

Do any of you know if the MZ-S1 has a line-out? I have read several places that it does (menu change from hphone-out), some say it does not.

Oct 14, 2002 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 23
linnem,

I checked the owner's manual on minidisc.org, and there's no mention of line out - it doesn't say anything about connecting the S1 to any kind of speakers at all
biggrin.gif

This will make me sound very, very arrogant, but several information sources make mistakes on the individual units' features, in the form of adding non-existent features that we all wish they had.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
R55 has the sound quality and line out of the R-50. The only flaw is the medicore batt life. If the Phantom problem exists, it would be on the junk yard by now. Use the attach battery to increase battery life

I have to disagree with this. When the R55 was released, everyone hated it. It has no line-out, the headphone jack isn't as good as the R50, construction isn't as good, sound isn't as good, and battery life isn't as good. (Plus it had the problem you mentioned, but as you said, this one's probably fine since it's still working
wink.gif
).

Bottom line, if you were looking to buy one, the R55 would not be one to consider. But if someone gives it to you for free, it's great
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
It has no line-out, the headphone jack isn't as good as the R50, construction isn't as good, sound isn't as good, and battery life isn't as good...
But if someone gives it to you for free, it's great
biggrin.gif

I'm looking at my MZ-R55 and it has a line-out. Although I agree with everything else. Luckily mine is still working and I didn't have to buy it either
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back