Sony MH1 R&D Story ...and discussion.
Dec 11, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #211 of 244
Quote:

Thanks for coming here to answer our questions, Sead.

I wanted to ask about the MH750. I read that it was based on the FR of the MH1. Were you involved in the MH750? How does it differ?

Yes, i was involved in MH750, and since MH1 and MH750 can be seen as relatives I will mention few words about it. MH750 is a more economical version of MH1 with somewhat slightly different signature as can be seen below...  

... most part of the midrange is similar but there are some differences at the lower and upper range. Subbass is slightly higher, while treble roll offs somewhat earlier. So compared to the MH1, overall sound signature of the MH750 can be perceived as slightly darker... further, as there is less energy at the top-end in combination with some more presence in mid-treble will lead to impression of some small treble coloration, and less overall detail compared to MH1.   

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #212 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On my computer in uLilith media player using the MH1, I reduced the bass -7dB from 100Hz to 250Hz, then increased 16kHz by 4dB.  Since then I've been listening to the same 5 songs for a few hours on repeat (CD - L'Ame Imortelle - Fallen Angel), it is pretty insanely dazzling for a smartphone bundled IEM, especially for the typical user.

Kiteki! Between the MH1 and the MH1C, which do you prefer? According to Rin and forum member Tangster who compared both, MH1C has more bass? But ClieOS and Sead said that they should be the same?

Which one should I get?

Thanks.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #213 of 244
Here is a brief bit about them in a round up review video!

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #214 of 244
I'm new to the world of quality headphones. Thanks to head fi I've been introduced to test only the ksc75 8320 so far and now the mh1c.

At first they don't sound great. So smooth I wasn't sure it sounded correct. With the bass drowning the soundscape. It's not bad in fact it makes apparent how lacking the 8320 is.

With the air vent blocked it's still a tad too much. Dropping -2 eq in bass with the mod sounds great.

I tried the treble foam mod. Found the treble noticeably clearer but at the expense of not being able to listen as loud because of an instant harshness fatigue feeling. With the foam back in an increase of 4 in treble that's recommended by some makes high vocals sound static low bit rate like. Cutting the foam in half to get the balance right works superbly. Treble is now clear rather than smooth sounding and further reaching.

At the end of it all it's become a great sounding headphone. So smooth yet pronounced, so wide and well ranged. Thanks to all involved in making this budget iem noticeable and available. :):thumbup::beer:

ߐ谟ВߐⰟҁߒ°ߒàGalaxy S3 ߙ˰ߙΰߙͰߙǰߙŰߙ̀ǰߙŰߙ̀

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #215 of 244
Quote:

Yes, i was involved in MH750, and since MH1 and MH750 can be seen as relatives I will mention few words about it. MH750 is a more economical version of MH1 with somewhat slightly different signature as can be seen below...  

Hi Sead, are you involved in developing other IEM's or is there anything else with similar sound signature as MH1? Thank you.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #216 of 244
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/stereo-headset-mh-ex300ap/specifications/#tabs]http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/produc...fications/#tabs

Stereo Headset MH-EX300AP

[@ClieOs] will u review this?

Bundle with new Sony Xperia Smartphone lineup

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #217 of 244
Quote:

Stereo Headset MH-EX300AP

[@ClieOs] will u review this?

Bundle with new Sony Xperia Smartphone lineup

Not unless Sead sent me a pair for free.

Just kidding. It looks like a regular EX300 turned into headset, I don't think I'll review it since we already has reviews on EX300 around.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #218 of 244
I'm new to the world of quality headphones. Thanks to head fi I've been introduced to test only the ksc75 8320 so far and now the mh1c.

At first they don't sound great. So smooth I wasn't sure it sounded correct. With the bass drowning the soundscape. It's not bad in fact it makes apparent how lacking the 8320 is.

With the air vent blocked it's still a tad too much. Dropping -2 eq in bass with the mod sounds great.

I tried the treble foam mod. Found the treble noticeably clearer but at the expense of not being able to listen as loud because of an instant harshness fatigue feeling. With the foam back in an increase of 4 in treble that's recommended by some makes high vocals sound static low bit rate like. Cutting the foam in half to get the balance right works superbly. Treble is now clear rather than smooth sounding and further reaching.

At the end of it all it's become a great sounding headphone. So smooth yet pronounced, so wide and well ranged. Thanks to all involved in making this budget iem noticeable and available. :):thumbup::beer:

ߐ谟ВߐⰟҁߒ°ߒàGalaxy S3 ߙ˰ߙΰߙͰߙǰߙŰߙ̀ǰߙŰߙ̀
I just tried cutting the foam in half, and the sound signature now sounds a lot more appealing to me. On bass heavy songs the bass is still prominent, but on everything else they sound brilliant.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #219 of 244
  Behold the punctured ear tips!

I very much like the results after I drilled very small holes in the supplied silicone sleeves. You may have to click on the above image to see the holes in the enlarged photo. (The story is continued from here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/594945/6-panasonic-rp-hje120-surprisingly-usable/15#post_8854187. Basically, I played with the cheaper Panasonic RP-HJE120 before deciding how to change the sound of the MH1C.)

I ended up making four tiny holes per tip--still a bit bassy, but I didn't want to overdo it. With this "mod", the bass response now more closely matches what I hear from live music. The timbre of musical notes has been improved since the proportions of the fundamental and the harmonics is in better balance. After some time with a tone generator and matching the volume, I can tell that (for my ears at least) the response above 1 kHz hasn't changed much.

I normally use a parametric EQ like Equalizer or Accudio, but many apps like Pandora, YouTube, and Netflix can't use them. The punctured tips have the potential to match the huge bass reducer filter that I use on the MH1C. They actually sound pretty good now. The time domain characteristics aren't completely independent of the magnitude response, so I would guess that the transient response has been improved also. I'd love to see impulse response and CSD measurements on these things after EQ or after using these tips.

Isolation isn't as good after the change, but I'd rather trade that for better spectral balance. Also, driver flex during insertion has been greatly reduced. The technique also worked for the HJE120, but I can see it working for any bassy IEM, e.g., UE100, Klipsch S4, etc.

If we can find a way to get controlled leakage from foam ear tips, we may be able to neutralize the sound of v-shaped IEMs.

I forgot the size of the drill bit, but I started with the smallest #80 wire gauge bit and went down from there. A #75 is still too small. With the one pictured above, it took many passes of the bit through the hole, and in both directions before I got the opening of the desired size. I had considered other ways of puncturing the sleeve, like using a needle tip with a soldering iron, but I never got to try them because the drill worked well enough.

Could you draw roughly what sort of eq curve this mod would mimick?  How much bass cut at what frequencies, etc.?  Really curious.

On another note... I'm so on the mh1 bandwagon! haha.  I got a pair for $20 just to check them out.  Completely blown away!  These things are up there with the er4s to me.  They are more bassy, but that isn't always a bad thing.  First, I simply eq the bass down with ONE single eq point.  Second, sometimes it is kind of relaxing and the bass doesn't interfere with the rest of the spectrum as much as on most other iems.

Anyhow, first thanks to clieos.  I have to admit I was in denial when I started my iem search and he recommended what I consider "bass light" iems like the pfe112 and er4s.  Now those are my absolute favorite iems (and now the mh1).  The er4s is just excellent while the pfe is more flat bass to my ears but a bit uneven treble (just barely) and a bit of distortion that I'm starting to find is audible in that it keeps me from getting a perfect eq'd flatness.  I just can only get "so far" with the eq.  The er4s eq settings I use show how amazing the er4s is.  Slight adjustments to the sub bass, but they handle it with ease.

The mh1 now is similar to the er4s.  Less distortion and works well with eq.  Like the er4s it is also a simple eq adjustment but the other direction. :p  Anyhow, I've heard some er4s user dislike the mh1, but I'm wondering if they have the mh1c or a "fake" or something else?  Coming from two very flat iems the mh1 doesn't seem far off to me.  In fact, because we tend to be less sensitive to bass frequencies and it's such a smooth "boost" by default, I find these to almost be as accurate in a way.  Where the er4s lacks bass, the mh1 has excess bass for instance.

Anyhow, these are undoubtedly the best $20 earphones I've ever heard.  I'm not going to replace my er4s or anything, but they are a very welcome addition.  If you have any other recommendations clieos, you sure as hell got my trust.  Everything you've recommended has been the best I've heard so far.  Can anything best a pfe, er4s, mh1 combo? ha.  :p

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #222 of 244
  After having the MH1C for around a year, I got myself the MH1 today to compare - after luisdent said they differed - and found them to sound exactly the same.

First, are you sure they are both the precise models?  Second the difference isn't huge.  As I said the mh1c is a bit bassier and a tad less high treble.  Only slightly though.  The biggest difference is that the mh1c is less consistent.  You had more of a chance of getting a "bass monster", where the mh1 is consistent.  I suggest doing a side by side comparison with both bassy and bass light tracks.  The difference is small, but it's definite.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #223 of 244
Yes, definitely those models (logo/no logo difference). My MH1C was never so monstrous, just pretty warm and rich. But I know there were differences between batches. Didn't ClieOs address this question a while ago too, saying that they sound the same? Edit: here we go: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1350#post_8919839

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #224 of 244
  Yes, definitely those models (logo/no logo difference). My MH1C was never so monstrous, just pretty warm and rich. But I know there were differences between batches. Didn't ClieOs address this question a while ago too, saying that they sound the same? Edit: here we go: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1350#post_8919839

It very well may just be our different variances in batches.  I don't know.  Rin measured them both and showed a slight difference between them also: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/02/sony-livesound-mh1-mh1c.html  But he also shows that the mh1c was a crap shoot in terms of bass response.  Perhaps you had a later model that was more in line with the mh1.  Perhaps you simply don't hear the difference as much.  I'm not sure.  :-o  Also, it might not be anything, but keep in mind the tips soften with use.  The fit between them may be slightly different causing you to wear them slightly differently.  Not sure.  That's too bad though.  Look on the bright side.  Now you can mod one! :p  

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #225 of 244
Wow.  I just received my second mh1 set (to mod) and it seems bassier than the last set I ordered.  Not a large difference, but I even put the tips i've been using on the new set.  I'm not a big believer in "burn-in".  But I'm going to see if it makes a difference with the mh1.  Maybe we're hearing the same thing ironically.  Weird.  I expected this set to be identical.  Again, not a big difference.  I'll run them for a while and see what happens.

UPDATE:  o.k.  I'm not sure anymore.  It may have been placebo.  I'm wearing them both around my neck connected to the same device with a y-splitter and switching between them.  I think the new ones might sound a touch bassier, but I also think the tips are a bit different being new...  Not sure yet.  Either way, the difference comparing side by side is extremely minimal if it is even different.  I'll see how they fare after listening a while.  I'm assuming it's the tips/fit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back