Sony MDRV600 These are ancient!!
Aug 13, 2006 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

doxaman

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All
This is my first post here, I've got a question regarding my old sony MDR V600 cans. I've spent many hours using these as the main part of my home theater on a budget setup (if you can call sitting close to the TV and wearing Headphones a Home Theatre!)
Over the years I've had to repair splits in the ear pieces and I think the foam has just about disintigrated in spots. Also the coating is flaking away. Is there any way to replace these ear-pieces, I can't see how the drivers come apart.
After all this time I'm reluctant to throw these things away, for a while there were comfortable and the ear-shaped cushions were a big selling point for me. Now they are uncomfortable and leave lots of small bits of black behind.
As a funny side note, my first major pair of Sony Canal phones MDR-EX71 Fontopias have developed an odd sticky coating like TAR, except the phones are white!!! I know it's been a hot summer here in Mississauga but all my Sony stuff is decomposing on me!
I hope this doesn't happen to Shure EC2s or Grado SR80s! I don't want to give up on this Hobby just yet!

Cheers

doxaman

Aug 13, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 5
Just throw them out. Your SR-80s will sound way better than those cans would ever hope to be. And the E2Cs are durable like hell too. Not to mention a great warranty service from Shure.

Aug 13, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the replies, I kind of figured these Sonys were done for, I can honestly say I got plenty of use out of them, they did block out some of the noise from the Window Air Conditioner.
In the trash they go!
I replaced them last year with a pair of Sennheiser HD570s
Eventually I'll get a better pair of Grados when I can afford them.

cheers

Doxaman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back