Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Jul 2, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #346 of 392

Most of my music is 320kbps. Would I notice a difference from AptX to LDAC?

With lossy 320kbps files, it's pretty much the same beteween AptX and LDAC.
But with lossless files (especially HiRes ones), LDAC sounds better to me.  They have better Highs, tighter Bass, sound clearer and fuller compared to AptX.

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #347 of 392
Both Apt-x and LDAC promise 'near CD-quality' BT transmission.

This is incorrect.  Only AptX promises near Redbook CD quality.  LDAC promises hi-res quality (up to 24 bit / 96 kHz).

In my experience both codecs deliver what they promise.

As far as the audible differences between the two, you won't discern it with just any material, especially with highly compressed masters.

However, having performed ABX testing (non-blind) between AptX with MDR-1RBT MK2 vs MDR-1ABT using the same high dynamic range DSD material, LDAC is clearly ahead in terms of definition and clarity of individual instruments, as well as other subtleties such as reverb decays.

You could argue that this can potentially be attributed to the differences between the two headphones, but being very familiar with the sound of each one (I still own both) I already took this into account.  Besides, while the 1ABT is undoubtedly the better sounding headphone of the two (using the same codec), anyone who has heard both will tell you that they sound very similar.  In fact, were it not for the LDAC support, I would not have been able to justify upgrading my 1RBT MK2.

TBH I don't really believe Sony's hype about LDAC. Apt-x sounds great anyway, and is a clear improvement on SBC.

LDAC is not a religion, so does not require belief :)  Thankfully, it's fairly easy to test it if you can get a hold of a compatible source (e.g. a Sony Walkman or a recent Xperia device).

I agree that AptX already sounds great and it made bluetooth music a viable option for many people (it's a shame that many car manufacturers still don't support it though).  However, LDAC is also a "clear improvement" on AptX.  Although, it may be past the point of diminishing returns for some people, especially those who don't listen to anything higher than 320 kbps MP3 or equivalent, and / or over-compressed modern recordings.

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #350 of 392
  I would like to ask.. can someone tell me which is better? Samsung level over or this Sony's MDR1abt?

The Level Overs sound good but are an older model and the MDR-1ABT along with the likes of the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, Definitive Technology Symphony 1  and one or two others set a new standard for bluetooth headphones when they were released last year.

Also check out this year's Sony h.ear on wireless (aka MDR-100ABN), which have a different sound signature to the 1ABT but are also excellent by most accounts and add noise cancellation, which the 1ABT don't have.  They may also be a better choice if you don't like 1ABT's touch controls (I rather like them myself).

Giogio, head-fi's resident bluetoth guru who used to dislike Sony, has now come around and, after comparing over 100 pairs of bluetooth headphones, has said that both 1ABT and 100ABN are two of the best sounding bluetooth headphones one can buy at the moment.  And he hasn't even tested their unique hi-res capabilities...

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #351 of 392

The Level Overs sound good but are an older model and the MDR-1ABT along with the likes of the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, Definitive Technology Symphony 1  and one or two others set a new standard for bluetooth headphones when they were released last year.

Also check out this year's Sony h.ear on wireless (aka MDR-100ABN), which have a different sound signature to the 1ABT but are also excellent by most accounts and add noise cancellation, which the 1ABT don't have.  They may also be a better choice if you don't like 1ABT's touch controls (I rather like them myself).

Giogio, head-fi's resident bluetoth guru who used to dislike Sony, has now come around and, after comparing over 100 pairs of bluetooth headphones, has said that both 1ABT and 100ABN are two of the best sounding bluetooth headphones one can buy at the moment.  And he hasn't even tested their unique hi-res capabilities...

+1 on the Momentum 2's!  

When I was auditioning headsets at B&H store here in NYC, I came across the Momentum 2's (wired) and I ALMOST bought them because they sounded excellent to my untrained ears! When I came across the 1A's though, I immediately liked them over the Momentum's because of the deeper lower end sound. The Momentum's had a beautifully pristine sound but I liked the sound signature of the Sony's much better! Word of advice, listen to them before you purchase!

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #352 of 392

+1 on the Momentum 2's!  

When I was auditioning headsets at B&H store here in NYC, I came across the Momentum 2's (wired) and I ALMOST bought them because they sounded excellent to my untrained ears! When I came across the 1A's though, I immediately liked them over the Momentum's because of the deeper lower end sound. The Momentum's had a beautifully pristine sound but I liked the sound signature of the Sony's much better! Word of advice, listen to them before you purchase!

Keep in mind that the MDR-1A (i.e. the wired version) has a slightly different frequency response than the bluetooth version and is more in the basshead territory, which you seem to prefer, than the MDR-1ABT, which has flatter / more natural lows, and is more to my liking, although there's still plenty of bass.  

Interestingly, recent psycho-acoustic research has shown that the more listening experience you have, the less you tend to go for a boosted low end.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #353 of 392

Keep in mind that the MDR-1A (i.e. the wired version) has a slightly different frequency response than the bluetooth version and is more in the basshead territory, which you seem to prefer, than the MDR-1ABT, which has flatter / more natural lows, and is more to my liking, although there's still plenty of bass.  

Interestingly, recent psycho-acoustic research has shown that the more listening experience you have, the less you tend to go for a boosted low end.

I ended up getting the 1ABT's when I read here in this thread that the sound of the 1ABT's were very close to wired. It also helped that I got them for a little under the same price as the 1A's, lol! I LOVE the sound of these 1ABT's!! ....and yes, the 1A's (wired version) are def heavier on the bass but the sound of these 1ABT's are more pleasing because of the balanced sound. 

Very interesting! I listen to bass heavy music (House/Techno/etc..) but I like my low end tight and controlled....not bloated and/or muddy. These 1ABT's have been fantastic to listen to! So glad I ended up going with them!

Jul 16, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #354 of 392

I ended up getting the 1ABT's when I read here in this thread that the sound of the 1ABT's were very close to wired. It also helped that I got them for a little under the same price as the 1A's, lol! I LOVE the sound of these 1ABT's!! ....and yes, the 1A's (wired version) are def heavier on the bass but the sound of these 1ABT's are more pleasing because of the balanced sound. 

Very interesting! I listen to bass heavy music (House/Techno/etc..) but I like my low end tight and controlled....not bloated and/or muddy. These 1ABT's have been fantastic to listen to! So glad I ended up going with them!

Glad you're enjoying them.  I'm very fond of them myself.

Because the recordings you listen to have already been bass boosted, you're right in saying that you don't need your headphones to enhance it even further.  I find that the sound signature of the 1ABT makes it better suited for such styles as acoustic jazz or classical, ultimately making it more versatile, than the 1A.  These styles in particular benefit from having an LDAC source (for flac or hi-res material only).  Having said that, listening some crazy dubstep tracks in 320kbps streamed from Google Music with these headphones does put a smile on my face.

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #355 of 392
Bought Mdr 1abt's recently. really love the sound they produce, they're great! but only a few days into buying them both cups started creaking (presumably at hinges) with even slight head turns let alone walking or jogging. is this normal? Anyway to get rid of this? I'm considering returning them and getting 100Abn's (hear.on) although the 1abt were my first choice... though the 100abn's creak too I've heard
thanks in advance!

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #356 of 392
Bought Mdr 1abt's recently. really love the sound they produce, they're great! but only a few days into buying them both cups started creaking (presumably at hinges) with even slight head turns let alone walking or jogging. is this normal? Anyway to get rid of this? I'm considering returning them and getting 100Abn's (hear.on) although the 1abt were my first choice... though the 100abn's creak too I've heard
thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear that.  I haven't experienced this issue and can't recall reading about others having it, so perhaps you just got unlucky with your pair - definitely consider getting a replacement.

Having said that, I definitely don't recommend using these headphones (or any other full-size pair for that matter) for jogging or other heavy exercise.  They have not been designed for that and there are other, much cheaper choices out there that provide much better comfort and durability (not to mention sweat resistance) under these conditions, along with decent sound quality.

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #357 of 392
thanks in advance!

I haven't experienced any creaking or read about it either. I would replace them and get something to your liking for sure!

Sorry to hear that.  I haven't experienced this issue and can't recall reading about others having it, so perhaps you just got unlucky with your pair - definitely consider getting a replacement.

Having said that, I definitely don't recommend using these headphones (or any other full-size pair for that matter) for jogging or other heavy exercise.  They have not been designed for that and there are other, much cheaper choices out there that provide much better comfort and durability (not to mention sweat resistance) under these conditions, along with decent sound quality.

You know, I've seen guys at my gym with some over the ear head phones and I'm just amazing that their ears don't melt off their heads, lol!! There is absolutely NO WAY that I could wear my 1ABT's at the gym!! To be honest with you, I haven't been using them much throughout the summer because they are simply too hot for me to wear! I use them now when I'm home, relaxed, in the comfort of my AC. When fall rolls around, I'll pick them up again for commutes to work. During the winter, they rock as ear warmers for sure! lol ......oh and yeah, please don't use some really pricey headsets for the gym! There are less expensive models made for sweaty conditions I believe. I use my IEM JVC Riptidz for gym use.....cheap, sound great, LIGHT WEIGHT (very important!!) and sweat resistant!

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #359 of 392
thanks in advance!

If it creaks it is faulty. Got my 1abt for for than 6 months now. It is rather smooth and silent even though I use them reasonably a lot - so these headphones clearly are designed and supposed to be built well enough for it not to creak. My mdr1rbt mk2 got the creaky problem so I know how annoying it is. If the headphone got it; best just to ask for a replacement/refund.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #360 of 392
The headphone cable is directional. Try swapping round, grey bit at the headphone end. Once burned in these phones sound great cabled up and they're no slouch bluetoothed from my Sony Z3 phone. When I add in my Shanlinh H3 DAC in the middle that set up works really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back