Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Jan 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #286 of 392
Kindly guys how does the Sony compare to v moda wireless and harman bt as I am on a trip and all are offered to be sold but I can't try any of those so I rely on feedback

I love bass and non fatigue sounds signature

Someone did a comparison between the V-Moda Crossfire Wireless and the Mdr-1ABT in a different thread and the verdict was that the V-moda were very good but the Sony were great.  Don't remember the detail though.  I think he ended up returning the V-Moda and keeping the Sony.

The Harman Kardon BT are considered excellent value at their price point but are not in the same league as the other two.

The Sony are definitely non-fatiguing - I listen to them for hours without a break with ease.  The bass is perhaps more personal than any other aspect of a headphone's character.  I personally think the amount bass the 1ABT puts out is just about perfect but I'm not a basshead.  It's arguably better than its wired counterpart (MDR-1A), which has slightly more present but boomier bass with a bit of bleed into the lower mids.

I haven't heard the v-moda but understand it to be more of a basshead headphone so it may suit your particular tastes better.

For me, LDAC was a big selling point with the Sony and what allowed me to rationalise a somewhat incremental upgrade from the MDR-1RBT MK2.  As I'm writing this I'm listening to a jazz SACD wirelessly using my Xperia Z5 Compact, at the maximum sound quality setting and with no drop-outs whatsoever.  The simple fact is, no other headphone can do that today.  That another manufacturer can claim to have "the most advanced wireless headphone in the world" (with not even so much as AptX support) is laughable.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #287 of 392
Kindly guys how does the Sony compare to v moda wireless and harman bt as I am on a trip and all are offered to be sold but I can't try any of those so I rely on feedback

I love bass and non fatigue sounds signature

I own both and I prefer the sony for sq. It has slightly bigger and better quality bass. But it's a little bulkier and heavier too. Battery life is much better on the abt too. Overall the Sony is more transparent sounding to me as well.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #288 of 392
I'm not sure if the wired Vmoda m100 sound like the wireless ones but they sounded very boxy and had a narrow soundstage compared to the MDR1A that I auditioned at a B&H store. I heard a lot of headsets that day but the Sonys stood out as the best for my listening needs.

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #289 of 392
Anyone use the Beyerdynamic DT250/DT280 Replacement Earpads with their ABT's??  I'm looking for some velour pads because the stock pads burn up my ears after about an hour of listening. Can anyone recommend me some velour pads that are nice and don't change/affect the sound of the cans that much?? Thanks!

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #290 of 392
Sooooo...Newb here.  Looking to choose btw V-moda crossfade wireless and Sony MDR-1abt.  I like bass, but don't want to be overwhelmed.  I will not be using an LDAC capable device.  

Suggestions??

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #291 of 392
Not using an LDAC device is not going to kill you unless all your stuff is flac. If your stuff is 320 , you'll be fine. (Honestly who can tell the diff between 320 and flac with any source. Well, you can in some cases, but generally you'll struggle)

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #292 of 392
  Sooooo...Newb here.  Looking to choose btw V-moda crossfade wireless and Sony MDR-1abt.  I like bass, but don't want to be overwhelmed.  I will not be using an LDAC capable device.  

Suggestions??

I'll have both on Monday to test drive. I'll report back with details. Keep in mind i'm not an audiophile. I eq my music through poweramp on my galaxy s4 to my personal taste. I'm kind of a bass head. I prefer tight bass over bloated bass, and a headphone with sub bass response. Right now I have the crossfade wireless. Sound quality in bluetooth and wired mode is probably 95% the same. The bass is tighter than the m100 (which I also have). Build quality is solid. This is my only fear with the Sony's. I intend on using bt mode when working out at home and the all plastic construction is a bit of a concern. V-moda also have a lifetime 50% off program if anything should happen to them after the  one year warranty. With Sony I will probably have to buy an aftermarket accident proof warranty from square trade or something similar. Based on just the companies alone I'm leaning toward V-moda, however if i find the bluetooth quality and sound signature better on the Sony then I may have to make the switch. Anyway dude I'll keep you posted on my findings come Monday/Tuesday.

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #293 of 392
Hi there,

just got there from amazon.fr (guess the offer was mentioned here already, otherwise great price compared to what I can get her ein Germany). Wanted to get these as SWMBO asked for a hp to use while watching TV alone & the baby is asleep.....as 95% of what we watch comes out of a Fire TV these seemed to make sense as they can be used with the ftv, our iPhones, Macs etc.....so far only tried the pairing with the ftv (worked like a charm).....beside that I already realized that they are really comfy....

One question (for European readers here): searching for a hard case, the one mentioned here in the thread is from amazon.com, I found this (http://www.amazon.de/dp/B016KV79X8) one on amazon.de....anyone knows it or has other suggestions?

Cheers
Andreas

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #294 of 392
Hi there,

just got there from amazon.fr (guess the offer was mentioned here already, otherwise great price compared to what I can get her ein Germany). Wanted to get these as SWMBO asked for a hp to use while watching TV alone & the baby is asleep.....as 95% of what we watch comes out of a Fire TV these seemed to make sense as they can be used with the ftv, our iPhones, Macs etc.....so far only tried the pairing with the ftv (worked like a charm).....beside that I already realized that they are really comfy....

One question (for European readers here): searching for a hard case, the one mentioned here in the thread is from amazon.com, I found this (http://www.amazon.de/dp/B016KV79X8) one on amazon.de....anyone knows it or has other suggestions?

Cheers
Andreas

Also got this great French deal. Was looking for a case until I decided against getting one, but the only one that met my criteria (not bulky, fits headphones and stores them flat):

http://m.ebay.de/itm/Carrying-Case-for-Sony-MDR-1R-MDR-1RBT-MDR-10RBT-MDR-ZX750BN-MDR-XB950BT-/181860119814?nav=SEARCH

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #295 of 392
Also got this great French deal. Was looking for a case until I decided against getting one, but the only one that met my criteria (not bulky, fits headphones and stores them flat):

http://m.ebay.de/itm/Carrying-Case-for-Sony-MDR-1R-MDR-1RBT-MDR-10RBT-MDR-ZX750BN-MDR-XB950BT-/181860119814?nav=SEARCH

I got the same one through Amazon here in the states. Excellent case!

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #297 of 392
Hey, sorry I forgot about this thread. I replied over at the v-moda thread. here's what I wrote there. 
The  short of it is: i'm sticking with the v-modas. I just preferred the bass of the cfw.  The tightness of the bass and how low it extends cleanly were what did it for me as far as sound signature. Sony's seemed to have a wider soundstage. If all I had were the mdr1a I would be happy. They're a great fun sounding headphone. I listened to them for about two hours straight. Then finally put the v-modas back in and immediately said "whoah" The thickness and depth of the sound immediately grabbed me. I listen to Metallica, Tool, Pearl Jam, Animals as Leaders, Mastodon. So as you can see mainly guitar driven music. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. 

Non music related things that kept me with v-moda were the build quality and styling of the headphone. They look cooler to me on my head with my custom plates and the overall smaller size of the v-moda. Sony's build quality seem like one wrong drop or "oops I sat on them" would immediately break them, especially the swiveling ear cups. They swung freely (without creaking) if held by just the headband. Cfw can be used with other cables if need be and the boompro mic as well. The Sonys use a proprietary end on the headphone side of the plug so my boompro wouldn't fit, neither my small cables. The provided cable is downright flimsy.

two major pluses for Sony's are the battery life (30 hours) and the comfort. Because the earcups swivel, they fit my headshape like a glove. The earpads are soft as clouds too, but I think the swivel is what allows the pressure to be evenly distributed. 

APT-X...I have no idea, They both sounded extremely good to my ears in wireless mode. Either my phone wasn't pumping out aptx (galaxy s4 active) or it was and cfw sounds just as good without it. I'm using 320kbps files from poweramp. 

Sony cleverly hide their hiss by it being on all the time, since it never stops there's never a feeling of what it would be like to have no hiss at all. It is also relatively quiet compared to the v-moda's hiss. It takes less volume to drown it out than the cfw. Lucky for me I only use wireless outdoors or working out, two instances that require louder volume. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #298 of 392
1) I am planning to let go my MDR1A BT for like $210 (pp included) + shipping. anyone interested can pm me for details.

2) I found MDR1A BT to be considerably different than 1A with new generation Sony Walkman's like A25, ZX100 and ZX2.

1A is more portable with slightly lower profile, less weight and it has a more intimate presentation with good bass and mids. * However, with the mentioned Walkman's, treble section can become uncontrolled and harsh sometimes especially with higher volumes.

1A BT on the other hand is heavier and bigger. Yet it's thicker profile affects the sound presentation.

Soundstage on 1ABT is deeper with a more 3D shape. It is more laid-back compared to 1A, especially in mids, resulting in a more relaxed sound signature.

At first listen, 1A may come more exciting, but in a longer trial, it came quite obvious to me that (with the above Walkman's) 1A BT is pretty superior in refinement and control.

Contrary to 1A, 1A BT does not have that "control issue" in the treble region. Instead, even some painfully mastered recordings (like Chris Rea's song On The Beach which has a sharp treble peak) sounds quite smooth with 1A BT.

In its sound characteristics, I believe 1A BT is like a closed Sennheiser HD600 with its warmish sound, good bass, laid-back mids, smooth, slightly rolled-off treble AND ALSO ITS PRICE !!

I especially recommend 1A BT with Sony ZX100 which has quite forward mids. They created some wow factor in the faces of the people I gave to try these duo.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #299 of 392
  1) I am planning to let go my MDR1A BT for like $210 (pp included) + shipping. anyone interested can pm me for details.

2) I found MDR1A BT to be considerably different than 1A with new generation Sony Walkman's like A25, ZX100 and ZX2.

1A is more portable with slightly lower profile, less weight and it has a more intimate presentation with good bass and mids. * However, with the mentioned Walkman's, treble section can become uncontrolled and harsh sometimes especially with higher volumes.

1A BT on the other hand is heavier and bigger. Yet it's thicker profile affects the sound presentation.

Soundstage on 1ABT is deeper with a more 3D shape. It is more laid-back compared to 1A, especially in mids, resulting in a more relaxed sound signature.

At first listen, 1A may come more exciting, but in a longer trial, it came quite obvious to me that (with the above Walkman's) 1A BT is pretty superior in refinement and control.

Contrary to 1A, 1A BT does not have that "control issue" in the treble region. Instead, even some painfully mastered recordings (like Chris Rea's song On The Beach which has a sharp treble peak) sounds quite smooth with 1A BT.

In its sound characteristics, I believe 1A BT is like a closed Sennheiser HD600 with its warmish sound, good bass, laid-back mids, smooth, slightly rolled-off treble AND ALSO ITS PRICE !!

I especially recommend 1A BT with Sony ZX100 which has quite forward mids. They created some wow factor in the faces of the people I gave to try these duo.

I loved the 1A's sound and would have gotten it had it not been sold out which is what lead me to purchase the 1ABT at about the same price. I immediately noticed that the low end sound of the 1A vs 1ABT was that the lower end of the 1A seemed to vibrate more like a ported subs low end. The 1ABT would be like the sound of a sealed sub, tight and punchy QUALITY bass!  You are absolutely right about both! Great review!

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #300 of 392

I loved the 1A's sound and would have gotten it had it not been sold out which is what lead me to purchase the 1ABT at about the same price. I immediately noticed that the low end sound of the 1A vs 1ABT was that the lower end of the 1A seemed to vibrate more like a ported subs low end. The 1ABT would be like the sound of a sealed sub, tight and punchy QUALITY bass!  You are absolutely right about both! Great review!

Yeah I definitely like the low end on the 1ABT a bit better.  Not quite as boomy...and more controlled.  If you can get either at the same price or close, the 1ABT is the way to go, even if you're only going to use it in wired mode.  That said you'll likely need to order a replacement cable as the ones w/ the regular 1A are far superior to the 1ABT cable.  The latter only comes with one short straight cable w/o a mic/remote on it whereas the regular 1A has a lot more options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back