Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Jun 4, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #48 of 392
  You are right!  I meant to say that all the files I play are lossless, many are 24 bit, and 96k sample rate or higher.

This does make more sense :)  Yes, the highest hi-res files are 24-bit 192 kHz (although there's some controversy regarding whether 192kHz actually sounds worse than 96kHz).

Thanks for sharing your impressions.  You appear to be the first with hands-on LDAC experience to go on record.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #50 of 392
I finally received my MDR-1ABT.  How fantastic it is!  The best Sony Bluetooth headphones!

I was hesitating to decide which one, MDR-1RBTMK2 or MDR-1ABT.  The former is about $100 cheaper than the latter, and I didn't know whether the extra $100 would be justified.  I think it is.  The pair is so comfortable and sounds beautiful.  The price seems to decline, but I don't regret having purchased it earlier with the premium.  I am enjoying this pair earlier than potential late adopters.

In any case, I plan to purchase a device with LDAC transmitter.  So far, I see the following candidates:

NW-ZX2
NWZA17
NWZA15
Xperia Z4
Xperia Z4 Tablet

I don't know which to buy yet, but I wish they provide a Bluetooth transmitter with LDAC support.  I wish Sony could improve Hwsbta2w with LDAC.

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #51 of 392
  I finally received my MDR-1ABT.  How fantastic it is!

In any case, I plan to purchase a device with LDAC transmitter.  So far, I see the following candidates:

NW-ZX2
NWZA17
NWZA15
Xperia Z4
Xperia Z4 Tablet

Do not buy Xperia Phones EVER. One single little minimal crack line on the GLASS (only on the glass, not affecting the display below) and you will not be able to use the phone ever again.
I have seen people using Samsung, iPhone and HTC with totally destroyed Glass, and a friend using a Samsung with even broken Display (I have no idea how he manages to do that, it is scary, the display is almost all black but he can read through it and in the little good spaces. Really scary guy).
But when my Xperia got a line, I had to buy another phone. Luckily I could take my stuff out of it using it with a mouse.
A friend of mine had the same problem.
And internet is full of these reports.
But if you decide to buy one, put a really really really really good tempered glass display protector on it, the thickest you can find.
You WILL need it.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #53 of 392

Thank you for the information.  To me, then, Xperia is out of my consideration.

Well, let me be 100% honest. For the use which most people will do, with a GOOD tempered glass protector it will be fine.
I had it with a protector and for long time it was all ok. It fell many times, the protector was finally full of cracks and the phone worked with no problems.
Than one day I decided to take the protector away before buying a new one.
It was not a lucky choice. The phone fell and got one line and bye bye.
So, in case you feel that you would not like to go around with a phone and a player, you may still buy an Xperia.
Although I wonder, if people are willing to buy such expensive Sony player, they must sound much much much better than an Xperia, right?
If so, maybe you want to give them a try :)

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #55 of 392
Recently got these, quick question to anyone else out there that have these; 

The headphone socket requires Sony's 'special recessed' cable. Not an immediate problem, but does anyone know how to buy replacement cables or any other alternatives? 

Obviously they are great bluetooth headphones but if I ever wanted to plug them in and I've either lost the cable or the cable has got damaged over time....I can't. I've tried looking for a cable that will fit, but so far any that I have tried won't. To me it looks like the 'premium' mdr-1a audio cable might fit but that seems to be discontinued in the US / no where to be found here in the UK. 

Anyone have any solutions or is the only answer DIY 'cable shaving'...

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #56 of 392
Recently got these, quick question to anyone else out there that have these; 

The headphone socket requires Sony's 'special recessed' cable. Not an immediate problem, but does anyone know how to buy replacement cables or any other alternatives? 

Obviously they are great bluetooth headphones but if I ever wanted to plug them in and I've either lost the cable or the cable has got damaged over time....I can't. I've tried looking for a cable that will fit, but so far any that I have tried won't. To me it looks like the 'premium' mdr-1a audio cable might fit but that seems to be discontinued in the US / no where to be found here in the UK. 

Anyone have any solutions or is the only answer DIY 'cable shaving'...

Any plug with a lip as you see in this picture will work.

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #57 of 392
I finally bought A15 for LDAC usage
blink.gif

At first, I barely noticed any difference at all (coming from Xperia Z2+aptx).
But after listening more carefully and thoroughly, I found that LDAC (at "Sound Quality" 990kbps) gave even more detailed, smoother and crispier sound.  The bass also sounds more controlled.
With aptx the sound felt more compressed, especially at louder volume (although it still sounds great
wink.gif
).

Overall, I'm happy with A15+1ABT combo
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #58 of 392
  But after listening more carefully and thoroughly, I found that LDAC (at "Sound Quality" 990kbps) gave even more detailed, smoother and crispier sound.  The bass also sounds more controlled.
With aptx the sound felt more compressed, especially at louder volume (although it still sounds great
wink.gif
).

Thanks for sharing - I think this is the first long-awaited comparison of the 1ABT over LDAC vs AptX, albeit a brief one.

Have you tried comparing LDAC vs wired??

Can you please clarify what source format / bitrate you were using for this comparison?  In theory at least you should only be able to discern the difference with hi-res material, so it could possibly be the placebo effect at work.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #59 of 392
Sorry for the brief explanation, because I'm no expert at this
redface.gif

I used standard FLAC 16bit/44.1KHz (around 800-1100kbps) and Hi-Res FLAC 24bit/96KHz (4600kbps) for testing.

I haven't tried wired yet, because I bought it specially for LDAC... lol

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #60 of 392

I haven't tried wired yet, because I bought it specially for LDAC... lol

I hear you!  I guess many of us are curious whether LDAC lives up to it's promise of the sound quality on par with wired, especially for hi-res material, since, arguably, AptX already came pretty close for covering CD-quality FLAC.  I just thought you might be a little curious yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back