Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions
Mar 28, 2015 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 392

smilemantts

100+ Head-Fier
Some early reviews are starting to come in so wondering if any Head-Fiers have tried these out yet?

I am especially curious about how they perform with another LDAC device as compared to just aptX? For example, would love to hear about a head-to-head comparison to the $100 more expensive Sennheiser Momentum Wireless.

Thanks.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 392
  Some early reviews are starting to come in so wondering if any Head-Fiers have tried these out yet?

I am especially curious about how they perform with another LDAC device as compared to just aptX? For example, would love to hear about a head-to-head comparison to the $100 more expensive Sennheiser Momentum Wireless.

Thanks.

You are not by yourself for wanting the answer to that comparison..The only ones that I see have them are people that got them off Ebay from Japan.  Not going that route.. Right now, IMO, the Senn M2 Wireless is top dog.. A lot of peeps are having bt issues, but almost all agree the Senn M2 has the best bluetooth SQ..

Do you think that Sony did some testing and found out that the 1ABT up against the Senn M2, the 1ABT came up lacking? That is the reason for the delayed release?

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 392
Well, I just pre-ordered a pair. Due to be delivered between 6th-7th May. I am looking forward to it. I will be using them mostly with my HTC One M8, wirelessly. Ill see how the hold up but I am assuming it'll be something similar to the MDR1A range except with of course, wireless functionality.

May 1, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 392
  Well, I just pre-ordered a pair. Due to be delivered between 6th-7th May. I am looking forward to it. I will be using them mostly with my HTC One M8, wirelessly. Ill see how the hold up but I am assuming it'll be something similar to the MDR1A range except with of course, wireless functionality.

Where did you order the 1ABT from and how much?

I see them now  on Amazon for north of $514,  The 1ABT  were supposed to have a msrp of  $399

May 3, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 392
I got them from Sony UK (I live in the UK) for £299 GBP which translates to $452.64 USD. Electronics always see more expensive here in the UK.

Here you go: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-1abt

If that doesn't load for you, try a VPN like Hola.

I think part of the reason prices seem higher in Europe is that stores don't include tax in the listed price in the US. It's different from state to state, but that is only a little more than what we would end up paying.

May 6, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 392
I've had my pair for about three weeks now.  My only BT headphone previous to these were the Audio Technica S700BT.  Really liked those except for the loose bass.  The difference between wired and wireless was drastic.  With the Sony not so much.  I find the Sony to sound almost as good wireless.  Big improvement over the MDR-1R's sound.  Bass is pretty good.  Could be tighter but I like the improvement of the sub-bass performance and no ridiculous mid-bass issues from the 1R.  Voices sound good and treble is relaxed but not too much.  I find the pads almost too soft and my ears touch the driver and fatigue sets in after about an hour.  I have only used it with my iphone and I find the overall sound quite good for BT.  I'd recommend them.  I got mine from Amazon Japan for $380 plus Tenso fees were around $30 I believe. 

May 7, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #11 of 392
  I've had my pair for about three weeks now.  My only BT headphone previous to these were the Audio Technica S700BT.  Really liked those except for the loose bass.

WHat I do not like in Tenso is that you have to provide a Photocopy of your ID, with photo, name, address.
No way.
I know that in US you have no rights anymore coming to Privacy, but in EU the rules for protection of the privacy are much stronger and I am surely not willing to give the copy of my ID to anybody ever.
That's why I have imported my ATH-WS99BT from Rakuten Global, choosing somebody who was shipping to EU.

Anyway, would you consider posting a comparison between the 1ABT and the S700BT in my Comparison thread (see signature)?
It would surely help people (somebody lately just asked me about the S700BT) and I am also very curious to know more of this S700, considering that the WS99BT is my favourite BT Headphone.

May 7, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 392
  WHat I do not like in Tenso is that you have to provide a Photocopy of your ID, with photo, name, address.
No way.
I know that in US you have no rights anymore coming to Privacy, but in EU the rules for protection of the privacy are much stronger and I am surely not willing to give the copy of my ID to anybody ever.
That's why I have imported my ATH-WS99BT from Rakuten Global, choosing somebody who was shipping to EU.

Anyway, would you consider posting a comparison between the 1ABT and the S700BT in my Comparison thread (see signature)?
It would surely help people (somebody lately just asked me about the S700BT) and I am also very curious to know more of this S700, considering that the WS99BT is my favourite BT Headphone.

I understand about Tenso but I buy so much from Amazon Japan that it had to be done.  Don't care for it one bit though.  I'll post in your thread on the comparison.  I've read over your thread before and great job.  I would have purchased the WS99BT over the S700 if I would have known about it.  Even over the MDR1ABT but I didn't realize it existed until your thread.  I loved the WS99.  

May 8, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 392
I didn't try the ws99 but i like the ws99bt for their excellent overall sound quality with very good detail, clarity, transparence, their loudness potential (no other bt headphone can get so loud), their wonderful presence, their "fresh warmth", and the way they can at same time be almost bass neutral out of the box while reaching amazing bass impact with EQ (and if you have foobar there is a plugin called real bass exciter, which makes the bass denser, which is the only thing i was missing in the sub bass of the ws99bt compared to my ex favorite Fidelio m2bt. So, generally speaking,eq+Bass boost is the best).
Only negative, the soundstage is not so deep, and the earpads are little small (but can be replaced).

May 16, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 392
Amazon UK is now shipping (not merely taking orders for) the MDR-1ABT, which is not yet on sale from Amazon US (other than import models), at 299 pounds. (US price is $399)

http://amzn.to/1JnwwTV (Black)
http://amzn.to/1JnwH1E (Silver)

My question is...do you think these will be different in any way from the US models?  Any volume limiting, in particular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back