Sony MDR-ZX700, anyone has it?
Feb 10, 2011 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
Anyone here heard or own it? How does it compares to MDR-7506/7509?

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 14

i do

its a step down from my senn 598

its sounds good and has a very fast neutral sound sig to it

good for recording

Can you please post a picture of yours? I want to see if it has the "for digital" sticker on the cups.

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the picture. I've seen some on the web that has the sticker.

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 14
I have them and like them A LOT.

On certain songs I can hear more details than with my Shure SE530s.  Shure SE530's are, of course, way better with rock songs and with noise isolation, but there's no surprise there.

The ear pads are very soft, very comfortable.  

I'm rapidly becoming a Sony-phile.  Everything of theirs that I own is built beautifully and well and lasts forever.  I still have a slide-loading CD Walkman that I bought in 1999 that, last time I checked, still runs.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 14
Sony has quite a share of bad headphones but they also have their gems and now even lowcost more serious price/performance offerings, XB series for bassheads, ZX for more flat listeners.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 14
I'm waiting for the Z1000 to hit the streets of U.S. before I get the ZX700

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 14
Has any1 tried ZX500 yet? With Sony you never know how the different models even in the same series sounds like, XB500, XB700 and XB1000 for example are all very different sounding headphones despite similar design and probably somewhat similar drivers etc. It seems to be rarely the case that the expensier model simply does what the other one does but "better"... more like trying to appeal with different sound to different customers...

In this case ZX700 offer one major advantage over ZX500 design wise though and that's the pads, the ZX500 feature typical $50 headphone pleather pads, the ZX700 looks far more soft/comfortable/high quality, more like the Z1000.

What it sounds like if you simply read by the info on sony sites it states ZX500 as being more "dynamic"/forward sounding like sitting in the front row of a concert while ZX700 is being marketed as a "studio" headphone, what they probably mean is a bit more laid-back sounding which often results in greater soundstage too but perhaps not necessarily as engaging or "fun" to listen to. Simply those words further enhance my suspection about very different sounding pair of headphones which would be interesting to know more about how they compare. If I'd have to make a guess the ZX700 is probably more flat than ZX500 and ZX500 may have a bit stronger bass and probably slightly rolled off highs. Also would be typical if ZX500 was a lot more easy driven and would run pretty much near full potential ampless based on the maximum input power handle specs.

Maybe I should ask headphone.com if they could review ZX700 and ZX500..

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 14
i tried these at the sony store and thought they were good. but i still prefer my shure srh840 over these. but for the asking price i think these are worth it.

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 14
Just got them and love it. Have to say a big improvement over my XB 300 and JVC. 

Waiting for the SR-60i, that would tell me if I ever end up switching away from Sony.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 14
Congrats!  They are great headphones for the money.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:DjAmTraX
Thanks for the picture. I've seen some on the web that has the sticker.

The ones you might be talking about with the sticker might be the picture below. If you did not know they are called Sony MDR-7510 or its upgraded version mdr 7520. However the "sticker" says "Professional" not "for digital". 

41vBszbroNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Has any1 tried ZX500 yet? With Sony you never know how the different models even in the same series sounds like, XB500, XB700 and XB1000 for example are all very different sounding headphones despite similar design and probably somewhat similar drivers etc. It seems to be rarely the case that the expensier model simply does what the other one does but "better"... more like trying to appeal with different sound to different customers...

In this case ZX700 offer one major advantage over ZX500 design wise though and that's the pads, the ZX500 feature typical $50 headphone pleather pads, the ZX700 looks far more soft/comfortable/high quality, more like the Z1000.

What it sounds like if you simply read by the info on sony sites it states ZX500 as being more "dynamic"/forward sounding like sitting in the front row of a concert while ZX700 is being marketed as a "studio" headphone, what they probably mean is a bit more laid-back sounding which often results in greater soundstage too but perhaps not necessarily as engaging or "fun" to listen to. Simply those words further enhance my suspection about very different sounding pair of headphones which would be interesting to know more about how they compare. If I'd have to make a guess the ZX700 is probably more flat than ZX500 and ZX500 may have a bit stronger bass and probably slightly rolled off highs. Also would be typical if ZX500 was a lot more easy driven and would run pretty much near full potential ampless based on the maximum input power handle specs.

Maybe I should ask headphone.com if they could review ZX700 and ZX500..

I have the zx500. Check the review at  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5lWeZZh-I. They are basically crisp and clear for all three bass mids and highs. bass is lacking some what but still clear and crisp. They are 70 ohms and I don't have an amp. Will be getting one soon the fiio e11. Will see how they sound after with an amplifier. BTW the earpads on these sucks!!! hurts your ears after an hour.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back