Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Oct 22, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,936 of 2,440
thanks, would say the Z1R and Z7M2 isolate about the same amount then? when i had the Z1R briefly, i imagine that would be more then enough for my gpu fan issue

and in terms of how they sound, would you say the 2 headphones are greatly different from each other?

You'd think it's enough for a GPU fan, but not really - it doesn't block high frequency noises like fans. If you have low-frequency hums, works a bit better.

In terms of sound, it's more similar than different - you still have the same characteristic peaks, but the Z1R is a bit darker. Somewhat more 'soundstage-y' than the Z7M2, but not much.

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,937 of 2,440
ok thanks, i dont have any high frequency noises as far as i cant tell ( no coil whine like some older gpu's used to have) its just the whooshing of the fan when it ramps up, even with my open backs when action is intense i don't notice it as much but when a game is in a quite scene its more noticeable (some games are more quite more often like assassins creed compared to gears of war were its guns blazing 24/7 lol)

and that's good to hear in terms of how they sound compared to each other, i think it will be just what i want then, they will be arriving tomorrow and ill post back when i get them for my thoughts on how they are and how they compare from my memory to the z1r

also since it has more ports then the z1r i wonder if it will isolate slightly less which i kind of am hoping for since my family did not like how i could not hear them with the z1r and i just need a bit of isolation for the fan noise, ill find out tomorrow

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #1,938 of 2,440
You'd think it's enough for a GPU fan, but not really - it doesn't block high frequency noises like fans. If you have low-frequency hums, works a bit better.

In terms of sound, it's more similar than different - you still have the same characteristic peaks, but the Z1R is a bit darker. Somewhat more 'soundstage-y' than the Z7M2, but not much.
What about detail and voices? I recently acquired the Z7M2 and so far I like it, just missing the great detail of HPs as D9200 or any of the ATH lineup. Do you think the Z1r improves on these aspects and also in comfort?

Thanks

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #1,940 of 2,440
Is the wma1 good for z7m2 or is there other dac/dap better at a similar range?

500-800 dollars used.

I have both, the WM1A can drive the Z7M2s to unbearably loud levels but i wouldn't consider the WM1A as having enough power to make them sing. Given your budget, and considering that the Z7M2s aren't designed to be portable in the first place, better buy a proper desktop DAC/amp combo (pretty sure you can find a lot with your budget).

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,941 of 2,440
I have both, the WM1A can drive the Z7M2s to unbearably loud levels but i wouldn't consider the WM1A as having enough power to make them sing. Given your budget, and considering that the Z7M2s aren't designed to be portable in the first place, better buy a proper desktop DAC/amp combo (pretty sure you can find a lot with your budget).

Any in mind?

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #1,942 of 2,440
Any in mind?

I currently use a Rupert Neve Designs RNHP amp (USD500) and a Steinberg UR22 Mk2 audio interface (USD165). I get great sound from this combo. :)

(As much as I'd like to recommend other brands/models, I can't since I don't have any experience with such. Hopefully the other regulars in the thread can offer their take on your USD500-USD800 budget for a DAC/amp combo.)

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #1,943 of 2,440
Is the wma1 good for z7m2 or is there other dac/dap better at a similar range?

500-800 dollars used.

I use both of them and IER-Z1R too... the WM1A is amazing, but with there is big step in musicality (in term of powerful and clear impacts in low frequencies with a lot of details) when the WM1A is connected to an external Amp between both (Z7M2 and IER-Z1R).
Though the WM1A can give some acceptable results, I use a small Oriolus BA300S when travelling, otherwise a THX887 at home does the job perfectly.
I am not sure the new Fiio Q3Thx can manage the Z7M2 as there is no balanced 4.4mm input and the DAC of the M3 won't reach the WM1A results (with MrWalkman Firmware DMP-WM1 II)
I also own a Fiio M11 with 2 micro SD and a R6Pro, but both can't give same musical results as the WM1A+Oriolus with the Z7M2/IER-Z1R

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #1,946 of 2,440
Hello,

I cant find this z7m2 in EU anymore?

regards,
Simon
I doubt that the MDR-Z7M2 will be discontinued anytime soon. It is relatively young, after all - it is only 2 years old, at this present time. In contrast, the MDR-Z1R is twice its age.

I don't live in Europe, but taking a gander at the UK site, the MDR-Z7M2 is still marketed as 'available'. Ditto for the Japanese and the US sites.

Interestingly, in the UK, the MDR-Z7M2 costs £750.00; this is $979 in USD. The price in Japan is ¥74,880, which is about $716. However, the price of the headphone in the US is a mere $599. Ouch.

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,947 of 2,440
I doubt that the MDR-Z7M2 will be discontinued anytime soon. It is relatively young, after all - it is only 2 years old, at this present time. In contrast, the MDR-Z1R is twice its age.

I don't live in Europe, but taking a gander at the UK site, the MDR-Z7M2 is still marketed as 'available'. Ditto for the Japanese and the US sites.

Interestingly, in the UK, the MDR-Z7M2 costs £750.00; this is $979 in USD. The price in Japan is ¥74,880, which is about $716. However, the price of the headphone in the US is a mere $599. Ouch.
Thanks for that. But this price is a little high. Hmm...

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #1,948 of 2,440
Here you have an offer for the Z7M2, but is a spanish web. The Z1R is the headphone that is imposible for me to find at a good price in Europe. Was at 1600 pounds in amazon.uk but with a delay of 1-2 months.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,949 of 2,440
well, what a read all 130 pages of this thread were. From the hype train at the outset, to the trickling stream of early adopter reviews, meandering to the crazy AUD prices and not to mention the B&H and adorama sales (you lucky so and so's over the the pond), leading to the EQ phase and now to the 'is it discontinued phase?' (which I fall apart of). Its had it all. Truly a rollercoaster.

Seems us British folk are getting a bit of a shafting with the prices compared with others. My question, we know these don't have the earth-shattering skull-crushing bass rumble that some masochists wish for (I jest) but how are these with electronic music? I listen to electronic flavours 80% of the time and want to know if anyone has felt short-changed in that department with this genre? noting one chap said when in doubt whack on electronic (I tip my hat to you, sir)

I want a comfy, accurate, laid back closed pair for work and when the gf is sleeping - this pair seems to tick the boxes for me as well as it looking very sharp and pairing nicely with my Sony Xperia 5ii.

I intend to use them with a Topping A50s/D50s stack at work to properly drive them! If not these then maybe the Aeon Flow 2 closed? or Beyer 177x Go's.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,950 of 2,440
Electronic music based bass is oh so satisfying with these. I've had a rough time trying to figure out if I hate or love them on a lot of my music and some they absolutely just slays -- but whenever in doubt, I'll just have an electronic music session and man, so pleasurable that I feel my bedroom shake.
of all comments on this thread, this might be the one that makes me buy them. Thank you !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back