Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Jan 29, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #1,232 of 2,440
I wanted to thank everyone with their help, with all the cable suggestions. I think I am getting that sorted out, thanks to a member here, and through another cable source. Now I am on to Dac/Amps.

Right now I am playing Qobuz through a Macbook Pro (USB-C), and a 2018 iPad Pro (USB-C) as my sources at work. Of course I am using the Z7m2 headphones. For now, I am using a Chord Mojo as a DAC/Amp. It sounds pretty nice, but I am wondering... If I wanted to improve the DAC/AMP, is there anything under $400 (new or used) that beats the Mojo with the Z7m2? A desktop amp is fine. It doesn't have to be portable like the Mojo.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #1,233 of 2,440
I wanted to thank everyone with their help, with all the cable suggestions. I think I am getting that sorted out, thanks to a member here, and through another cable source. Now I am on to Dac/Amps.

Right now I am playing Qobuz through a Macbook Pro (USB-C), and a 2018 iPad Pro (USB-C) as my sources at work. Of course I am using the Z7m2 headphones. For now, I am using a Chord Mojo as a DAC amp. It sounds pretty nice, but I am wondering... If I wanted to improve the DAC/AMP, is there anything under $400 (new or used) that beats the Mojo with the Z7m2? A desktop amp is fine. It doesn't have to be portable like the Mojo.

i highly recommended the Gilmore Lite MK2.

Jan 30, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #1,234 of 2,440
Also recommend the Gilmore Lite MK2. Used from $350 to about $380. There were 2 in the classifieds here recently and may still be available. Burson Audio FUN also very nice. FUN can be a little more energetic depending on opamps used; Gilmore Lite MK2 is a little warm and so smooth and still very detailed. I have both and plan on keeping both.

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,235 of 2,440
i highly recommended the Gilmore Lite MK2.
Also recommend the Gilmore Lite MK2. Used from $350 to about $380. There were 2 in the classifieds here recently and may still be available. Burson Audio FUN also very nice. FUN can be a little more energetic depending on opamps used; Gilmore Lite MK2 is a little warm and so smooth and still very detailed. I have both and plan on keeping both.

Thanks for the recommendations. The Gilmore looks like a Amp, not a DAC/Amp. Would this mean my Macbook or iPad would do the D/A conversion?

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #1,236 of 2,440
Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #1,237 of 2,440
Jan 31, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,242 of 2,440
Awesome news! Wonder how much is their margin selling it at that price.

Jan 31, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,244 of 2,440
From what I can see, their cheapest z7m2 cable is $698. That is way out of my budget. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I bought a used Kimber for my Z7M2 used from the forums for less than $150 and it was the best thing I've done to my Z7M2. For some reason, the Z7M2 seems to be very responsive to cables, as you've found out. I noticed a big difference when switching from the stock Sony 4.4 cable to the Kimber from my Jotunheim amp/DAC. So much so that I'm certain I could pick it out in a blind test, if it were possible, because it does add creaking and microphonics compared to the stock cable. Nothing so bad that I would consider not using it though. I wasn't even a believer in cables before this purchase.

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #1,245 of 2,440
I bought a used Kimber for my Z7M2 used from the forums for less than $150 and it was the best thing I've done to my Z7M2. For some reason, the Z7M2 seems to be very responsive to cables, as you've found out. I noticed a big difference when switching from the stock Sony 4.4 cable to the Kimber from my Jotunheim amp/DAC. So much so that I'm certain I could pick it out in a blind test, if it were possible, because it does add creaking and microphonics compared to the stock cable. Nothing so bad that I would consider not using it though. I wasn't even a believer in cables before this purchase.

I don’t believe you on the cable man! (J/k). The Z7 MKII is very solving headphones and I experience similar improvements from upgrade cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back