Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Oct 29, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #916 of 2,440
Does anyone else feel that the build of the Z7M2 is actually better than the Z7? I do! Maybe it's just the Z7 I bought? It was used. But the Z7M2 just feels more solid and its joints are just tighter. My Z7 is VERY loose.
I've gotten some hands on time with the Z7 while traveling about a year ago, which to my memory had a nice build. Never held the Z7M2s (yet!), but based on how they look alone I'd say build and overall design seems better
I honestly can't believe I prefferred the 1AM2 over the Z7M2 a year ago...have my ears just evolved or was my previous Z7M2 a dud? What the hell man...
I was thinking the same thing as well, I was rather surprised to see you liking them again after what you've said previously lol

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #917 of 2,440
Please do tell us what you think of them!
Mine are coming in tomorrow actually- Can't wait to get my hands on these too!

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #918 of 2,440
Please do tell us what you think of them...

:k701smile: I bought them for my collection & will only get around to them later down the road... I'm actually located here in the US & paid for them myself, but had the package sent to my brother who lives over there & he was the one that signed for it earlier & forwarded me the photo as proof.
This was part of a bigger order, but I decided to split it up & get just this pair first... wanted to see how things play out as it's my 1st time ordering from OZ, before going all in with the rest of them - I'm quite patient, I can wait :beyersmile:

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #919 of 2,440
Does anyone know of a good case for the Z7M2? I know it's not exactly designed to be a portable pair of cans but a case still seems nice to have for the occasional event where I'd like to take it out somewhere

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #920 of 2,440
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #921 of 2,440
I found the Z7M2's tone isn't sensitive to amp output impedance. On my Loxjie with 47R balanced out they sound "correct"

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #922 of 2,440
Finally got my hands on these bad boys! Guess I'll share some first impressions:
Build quality/Comfort- Definitely a step up compared to my 1As, and more comfortable with those large earcups.
Sound- Also an improvement as well. I'm not quite how to describe it as I'm not good with describing tonality, but there's something about it's sound signature that feels off when compared to the 1A. It sounds less crisp, I think...? It'll likely grow on me though.
20191030_223823.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #923 of 2,440
Finally got my hands on these bad boys! Guess I'll share some first impressions:
Build quality/Comfort- Definitely a step up compared to my 1As, and more comfortable with those large earcups.
Sound- Also an improvement as well. I'm not quite how to describe it as I'm not good with describing tonality, but there's something about it's sound signature that feels off when compared to the 1A. It sounds less crisp, I think...? It'll likely grow on me though.
I find them fairly track dependent. They are amazing with Tool, probably my favorite headphne for Tool at the moment. I don't get that same magic with Radiohead though.

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #924 of 2,440

Just harder to drive IMO. It sounds more reference than the 1A that has more in your face sound with head pounding bass. Listen to sense of space between each instrument and the size of staging including hidden details and u will appreciate it. The 1A is more 2-D sounding albeit very fun sound. Have u try 1A with 4.4 mm out?

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #925 of 2,440
Just harder to drive IMO. It sounds more reference than the 1A that has more in your face sound with head pounding bass. Listen to sense of space between each instrument and the size of staging including hidden details and u will appreciate it. The 1A is more 2-D sounding albeit very fun sound. Have u try 1A with 4.4 mm out?
Yea, it definitely is harder to drive. With my 1As on balanced I usually have volume levels around 30-40, but with the Z7M2s I have to bump it up to around 50 or so. I also agree with the sound being more reference, with the relatively more controlled bass.
How rolled off are the highs on this pair, by the way? I think the relaxed sound may have been what felt "off" to me. Adding some treble in the EQ helped a bit, but sometimes it would feel a tad harsh and unnatural. Not sure if I should keep EQ enabled, or just leave the sound unaltered and try to get used to it

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #926 of 2,440
All new audio device (including changing a new set of cable) require burn-in time, can be 50-200 hrs. This is not a myth but it is audio industry standard practice not to be ignore by anyone in anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #927 of 2,440
All new audio device (including changing a new set of cable) require burn-in time, can be 50-200 hrs. This is not a myth but it is audio industry standard practice not to be ignore by anyone in anyway.
How much of the Z7M2's sound is changed after burn in, and what changes are there from your experience?

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #928 of 2,440
I believe in burn in but not in the sense that anything actually changes about the product itself. Just in the sense that it sounds different to YOU over time. Brain burn in.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #929 of 2,440
I believe in burn in but not in the sense that anything actually changes about the product itself. Just in the sense that it sounds different to YOU over time. Brain burn in.
You're not wrong, regardless of whether burn in actually exists your ears' adjustment to a new pair of headphones will more likely be a bigger factor in how it sounds to you

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #930 of 2,440
I think both types of burning in are real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back