Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Apr 5, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #676 of 2,440
Curious if Z7 different from Z7M2 in this regards.
Several people noticed the same.

Also some people say that Z7M2 provide more instrumental details, like finger snapping etc, I suspect it may be partially because vocals are recessed and other sounds are more noticeable.

I really can’t stand a stock Z7. It is too bassy in the bass region and I never enjoy it that much. I come from a highend electrostats rig and I can listen to the Z7 M2 all day. To my ears, the M2 has more details and more even frequency response from top to bottom. It is more analytical but more refined sounding than the original Z7. Better Separation and definitely airier sounding than the M1 for sure. Bass is a lot less boomy but is still there when the materials call for it. I also have the 1A and find them boomy and not neutral at all. I still don’t find the vocal to be an issue for M2. To each his own.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #677 of 2,440
btw, maybe somebody could recommend EQ settings for z7m2?
Main thing is turn the 3.0k down by -3db. I like to adjust 8khz and 14khz up to +2.5db. Bass is a matter of preference. They're source sensitive, in my estimation - and also cable sensitive. I run through ADI-2 DAC, which has excellent DSP EQ. The more modifiable your EQ, the better. BTW, I have probably a thousand albums on DSD and SACD, they all benefit from some minor EQ to my ears. The idea that a perfect pair of headphones requires no EQ is misguided.

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #679 of 2,440
Main thing is turn the 3.0k down by -3db. I like to adjust 8khz and 14khz up to +2.5db. Bass is a matter of preference. They're source sensitive, in my estimation - and also cable sensitive. I run through ADI-2 DAC, which has excellent DSP EQ. The more modifiable your EQ, the better. BTW, I have probably a thousand albums on DSD and SACD, they all benefit from some minor EQ to my ears. The idea that a perfect pair of headphones requires no EQ is misguided.
How do you adjust 3k, bro? You must have a 20-band EQ.. :)

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #681 of 2,440
Thanks for your review on Z7M2.. I was considering of getting one later (not immediately).. But since you mentioned about recessed mids (vocals), that's quite a low point, a disappointment, I must admit.. In my humble opinion, good headphones should never be EQed especially when playing DSD files.. I would rate how good a headphone is based on how it comes out of factory, not with DSP adjustments..

I beg to differ. The vocal on my Z7 is fine by me. I don't use stock cable so that may explain why. I still love this phones. It pairs quite great with the CMA600i.

Curious if Z7 different from Z7M2 in this regards.
Several people noticed the same.

Also some people say that Z7M2 provide more instrumental details, like finger snapping etc, I suspect it may be partially because vocals are recessed and other sounds are more noticeable.

I don't agree at all with the recessed mids comment. I switched from the Z7 to the Z7M2 precisely because I find the mids are not recessed in the M2. I use the new model with no equalization, not just for music but also videos with speech and all other sound.

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #682 of 2,440
The Z7M2 is u shaped but it's not a big dip in the mids. It might fool someone since it got elevated low end and some sparkle in the highs. It's just that perfect shape in sound for me, too much mids can be very tirering.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #683 of 2,440
Agree, it isn't really recessed in the mids, tho it's hard to calling it V shaped Ala TH900, it's a very slight U shape.

Lachlan's video is a good reference tune in at 10:40 for his explanation of Sony's "House Sound"

Apr 7, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #684 of 2,440
Agree, it isn't really recessed in the mids, tho it's hard to calling it V shaped Ala TH900, it's a very slight U shape.

Lachlan's video is a good reference tune in at 10:40 for his explanation of Sony's "House Sound"

I wonder if he has tried better amplification with the Z7 M2. The ZX300 can drive the Z7 M2 okay but a full-size desktop amp such as the CMA600I can drive it much better. This is a primary reason why everyone should audition it for themselves in their own system and each setup will not sound quite the same.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #685 of 2,440
I wonder if he has tried better amplification with the Z7 M2. The ZX300 can drive the Z7 M2 okay but a full-size desktop amp such as the CMA600I can drive it much better. This is a primary reason why everyone should audition it for themselves in their own system and each setup will not sound quite the same.
I think Lachlan clearly said it all in there @ 17:25 to 17:55 that i) Z7M2 is hollow, ii) he likes it when there are no vocals and iii) when there are vocals, they sound like voices coming from a well..

We can say that's just his opinion or taste but knowing this guy for few years already, there's solid substance to what he said.. What I mean is that by virtue of working in a headphone store, he must have tested & compared this headphone against so many other headphones, not just Sony's...That's my just 2 cents simple conclusion - the Z7M2 is just not for vocals...

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #686 of 2,440
I think Lachlan clearly said it all in there @ 17:25 to 17:55 that i) Z7M2 is hollow, ii) he likes it when there are no vocals and iii) when there are vocals, they sound like voices coming from a well..

We can say that's just his opinion or taste but knowing this guy for few years already, there's solid substance to what he said.. What I mean is that by virtue of working in a headphone store, he must have tested & compared this headphone against so many other headphones, not just Sony's...That's my just 2 cents simple conclusion - the Z7M2 is just not for vocals...[/uQUOTE]

I really don’t think you should draw any absolute conclusion from an internet or YouTube reviewers or anyone who happen to just got a job at a headphones store. Use your own set of ears period. Lachlan once said he doesn’t believe in cable upgrades and his Objective O2 stack is all anyone need to drive any pair of headphones optimally. My experience is quite an opposite of those two statements. I don’t work at the headphones store though, but buy all of my system using my own money and also have multiple amps at my arsenal to match with different headphones.

I agree with his Z7 MkI review but not so much with the Z7 M2. I don’t agree with the Z Reviewer dude either. I really want to see these two guys review the Stax SR-009 with either the BHSE or KGSSHV Carbon. Steve Guttenburg recently said that the Z1R is his go to choice for a true monitor headphones even more so than the Focal Utopia....really?!?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #687 of 2,440
I really don’t think you should draw any absolute conclusion from an internet or YouTube reviewers or anyone who happen to just got a job at a headphones store. Use your own set of ears period. Lachlan once said he doesn’t believe in cable upgrades and his Objective O2 stack is all anyone need to drive any pair of headphones optimally. My experience is quite an opposite of those two statements. I don’t work at the headphones store though, but buy all of my system using my own money and also have multiple amps at my arsenal to match with different headphones.

I agree with his Z7 MkI review but not so much with the Z7 M2. I don’t agree with the Z Reviewer dude either. I really want to see these two guys review the Stax SR-009 with either the BHSE or KGSSHV Carbon. Steve Guttenburg recently said that the Z1R is his go to choice for a true monitor headphones even more so than the Focal Utopia....really?!?
BTW I did my own testing of Z7M2 on my own a few times at Sony stores here against Z1R and 1AM2 on ZX300 and WM1A daps..I like the overall design, nice padding, cushioning around the ears, build quality etc..But when it comes to sound quality,it's not that impressive to my ears...I was tempted to buy one myself when they dropped the price to ~USD600 during CNY promotion (from ~USD750) but I don't think it's worth it..

Perhaps for someone who already owned original Z7 before, you would say the improvements (eg.Fibonacci grill,etc) can justify for slight price increase... Well, different people have got different tastes & preferences... As for me, the key traits in sound signature that I look for (other than a wide soundstage) are clarity in mid frequencies (especially vocals) apart from good, punchy bass with slight rolled-off in treble (for a long, enjoyable & relaxing listening).. :)

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #688 of 2,440
BTW I did my own testing of Z7M2 on my own a few times at Sony stores here against Z1R and 1AM2 on ZX300 and WM1A daps..I like the overall design, nice padding, cushioning around the ears, build quality etc..But when it comes to sound quality,it's not that impressive to my ears...I was tempted to buy one myself when they dropped the price to ~USD600 during CNY promotion (from ~USD750) but I don't think it's worth it..

Perhaps for someone who already owned original Z7 before, you would say the improvements (eg.Fibonacci grill,etc) can justify for slight price increase... Well, different people have got different tastes & preferences... As for me, the key traits in sound signature that I look for (other than a wide soundstage) are clarity in mid frequencies (especially vocals) apart from good, punchy bass with slight rolled-off in treble (for a long, enjoyable & relaxing listening).. :)

Glad u get to try them. I have to say though that the Z7 M2 sounds quite a bit better with beefier amplification. The zx300 is hardly cutting it for the Z7 M2. The 1Z does a better job, but it still fell short at driving the Z7 M2 compared to the PHA-2A &3. I paid $500 for mine so I am really happy with my purchase. I run an upgrade cable on them and and don’t use the stock cable. I still own the Z7 m1 and used to own the Z1R for over a year. Have u tried them out of the TA-ZH1ES at the store? That amp does a really good job on them as well.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #689 of 2,440
Glad u get to try them. I have to say though that the Z7 M2 sounds quite a bit better with beefier amplification. The zx300 is hardly cutting it for the Z7 M2. The 1Z does better a better job, but it still feel short at driving the Z7 M2 compared to the PHA-2A &3. I paid $500 for mine so I am really happy with my purchase. I run an upgrade cable on them and and don’t use the stock cable. I still own the Z7 m1 and used to own the Z1R for over a year. Have u tried them out of the TA-ZH1ES at the store? That amp does a really good job on them as well.
Yeap..Agree, Z7M2 requires bigger amplifier to benefit from its full potential..I tried TA-ZH1ES few times @ Sony store - didn't really test it on Z7M2 though because it is always attached to NW-WM1Z and Z1R...But no doubt, it sounds great... :)

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #690 of 2,440
The Z7M2 need an amp with enough power to sound full, it sound much thinner straight from the phone or laptop. When im not too warm and I need a little sound isolation I go straight for the Z7M2. Right now listening to In the clearing Into the Cavern by Eple Trio trough CMA400i balanced, clearly beautiful.
IMG_20190408_162414.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back