Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Mar 4, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #631 of 2,440
Yeah i remember, i cant demo the sonys in my city since no shop carrys them. However later this month an audio convention is gonna show up and if sony is there ill def give them a listen. My above question is more concerning pads as i hopped they were replaceable if damaged over time. But it looks like thats not a possibility. Ive narrowed my choice between the z7m2 and focal elegia. Ive reread all the old quotes mentioned by people on this thread and im trying to find even more sources of comparison. Its good to do some research before dropping a lot of money into it. The resell audio community in my city is almost non-existent.

I have Elegia's and still am interested in the Z7M2's. I hope to read more reviews of the Sony's.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #632 of 2,440
I've tried the Z7M2 and Elegia side-by-side.

For me, the Elegia's tuning sounds unnatural, with vocals on the metallic side. They also sound relatively recessed.

I very much prefer the Z7M2's tuning.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #633 of 2,440
[Deleted--Double post]

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #634 of 2,440
Yeah i remember, i cant demo the sonys in my city since no shop carrys them. However later this month an audio convention is gonna show up and if sony is there ill def give them a listen. My above question is more concerning pads as i hopped they were replaceable if damaged over time. But it looks like thats not a possibility. Ive narrowed my choice between the z7m2 and focal elegia. Ive reread all the old quotes mentioned by people on this thread and im trying to find even more sources of comparison. Its good to do some research before dropping a lot of money into it. The resell audio community in my city is almost non-existent.
I tried to Focal myself; it's a very different tuning. Not my cup of tea, but evidently quite popular. If you can try the Campfire Cascade, I'd try those. They are also excellent, detailed, and very engaging. I wouldn't want to give either those of the Sony's up.

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #635 of 2,440
I tried to Focal myself; it's a very different tuning. Not my cup of tea, but evidently quite popular. If you can try the Campfire Cascade, I'd try those. They are also excellent, detailed, and very engaging. I wouldn't want to give either those of the Sony's up.
Yeah im kinda leaning towards the Z7M2 because i hear the seal is better for people who wear glasses than the Focal headphones which A) cost more and B) dont seal as well for glasses wearing people.

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #636 of 2,440
Yeah im kinda leaning towards the Z7M2 because i hear the seal is better for people who wear glasses than the Focal headphones which A) cost more and B) dont seal as well for glasses wearing people.
I wear glasses and have no issues with comfort or seal at all. They also isolate very well (I have a two month old baby and often am blissfully oblivious to the fact he's having a tantrum in the same room as me).

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #637 of 2,440
I wear glasses and have no issues with comfort or seal at all. They also isolate very well (I have a two month old baby and often am blissfully oblivious to the fact he's having a tantrum in the same room as me).
Yeah i'm pretty excited to order a pair of Sony Z7m2, i just need to wait. paying off my A&K SR15 still :p

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #638 of 2,440
Yeah, the pads is replaceable, it has a proprietary ring system tho, it uses similar one from the Z1R I think, you twist the pads for it to come off.
You can order Original pads From Sony.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #639 of 2,440
how would you say they stack up against other similar closed back cans? i know people say these cans are more for relaxing and not really mastering/mixing/analytical listening. but im a bit curious about these cans as im looking for a pair of closed backs i can just relax in. currently the only closed backs i have are my B&O H6 which i use for outside/transit/travel.
I was also looking at the Focal Elegia and Audeze LCD2Closed. not sure if you've tried thoes as well ?

I've now had the Z7M2 for a month now and I'm now sure I made the right choice when I went with them over the Elegia. The combination of price and sound put it over the top for me. To be fair, I also own the Elear so I had slightly different expectations for the Elegia and it just wasn't as 'fun' of an experience as I would have hoped. I actually do think the Elegia wins out on comfort, but it's not like the Z7M2 are super uncomfortable or anything -- nowhere near Audeze, which I just can't seem to use for more than half an hour at a time without being bothered. Honestly I have not seen anywhere that was selling the Z7M2 new for <$500 like a couple people have been saying and no one's posted a link so I'm skeptical about that. All in all, I'm really loving them and it's really an excellent pairing with the Micro iDSD Black Label.

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #640 of 2,440
To those passing through Singapore's Changi Airport's Terminal 3 Departure area, you can get a Sony Kimber cable (MUC-B12SM1) for only ~USD99 (they're 50% off SRP). There's also a few more MUC-B30UM1 (also using Kimber cables but terminated with a 6.3mm plug) for around the same price. :darthsmile:

I had no plans to get an extra pair of cables but when i saw the price I knew i had to get one.

33433932688_3db5d4bbe2_c.jpg

Mar 18, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #641 of 2,440
Can anyone share inside cup diameters with pads? Just curious as i cant find measurements anywhere online of the inside of the cup where the ears go.

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #642 of 2,440
Can anyone share inside cup diameters with pads? Just curious as i cant find measurements anywhere online of the inside of the cup where the ears go.
Size is around 7x5cm inside the cups, still they are very soft on the pads and deep. Usually having problems with cans on the size, this is just barely big enough if I position it right.

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #643 of 2,440
Size is around 7x5cm inside the cups, still they are very soft on the pads and deep. Usually having problems with cans on the size, this is just barely big enough if I position it right.
the pads arent able to be changed correct? they're glued in ? :S

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #644 of 2,440
Can anyone tell me the size of the drivers in the Sony MDR Z7 MK2? are they 70mm? i'm just looking for clarification.

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #645 of 2,440

Users who are viewing this thread

Back