Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
May 28, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #1,561 of 2,440
I'm curious if anyone has used their MDR-Z7M2 with the Sonar Works software. Though the sodtware doesn't have a headphone profile for the Z7M2, it does have one for the Z7 model. I tried it briefly the other day, without much of an expectation that the sound quality would change much, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed what I was hearing.

May 28, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #1,563 of 2,440
@Vitaly2017 I've always wanted to ask, why do they need another amp, if they have wm1z? Can't they just use that in non-battery mode? I really really wish Sony made a competitor to the iFi Zen amp/dac. If only they made an affordable desktop walkman.

1a/1z only have 250 mw output at 16 ohms thats why.

1a/1z is best use for iems . Using headphones is getting inefficient. Moving that massive 70mm driver need lot of juice no matter the ohm and sensitivity.

Only headphone that easy to drive is denon 9200 or final audio sonorous X 🙃😊

May 28, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,564 of 2,440
Hi guys. What are the opinions of the MDR-Z1R versus this? Are the Z7M2 really that amazing? I'm wondering if the 1AM2 and WH-1000XM3 are enough closed back headphones.
The small 1am2 is a good portables.
There are better.

The top Sony MDR-Z1R, vs the Z7M2: the z7m2 sounds more normal or cohesive.

Yet regardless how opinions are of the MDR-Z1R, it is still above the z7m2, and also most other closed headphones, in respect to it's resolve and soundstage.
It is a high resolution headphone.
Its extremely light weight for its size as well.
You just have to like it's sound.
Big bass and laid back detailed sound.

the MDR-Z1R. Just thinking the Z7M2 is almost or nearly as good for half the price?
Yes.
:)

Considering how much my dog barks
Solution:
Stay close to dog.
At every bark poke him & say "No" louder than him.
To stop him, give him "the claw" , your hand grip, with the fingers pressing on his body, which simulates a dog bite and they submit..
:yum: :yum:

Only headphone that easy to drive is denon 9200 or final audio sonorous X 🙃😊
Also this Sony z7m2 headphone.
Also The big sony z1r and the Utopia.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #1,565 of 2,440
I thought the Vrms is what matters not mW for source ability to drive headphones. But now that I think of it, it makes sense since sensitivity is db/mW.

Sony should totally make a iFi Zen competitor. They made the 4.4mm port after all, why not bring it to the masses

May 28, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #1,566 of 2,440
The small 1am2 is a good portables.
There are better.

The top Sony MDR-Z1R, vs the Z7M2: the z7m2 sounds more normal or cohesive.

Yet regardless how opinions are of the MDR-Z1R, it is still above the z7m2, and also most other closed headphones, in respect to it's resolve and soundstage.
It is a high resolution headphone.
Its extremely light weight for its size as well.
You just have to like it's sound.
Big bass and laid back detailed sound.

Yes.

Solution:
Stay close to dog.
At every bark poke him & say "No" louder than him.
To stop him, give him "the claw" , your hand grip, with the fingers pressing on his body, which simulates a dog bite and they submit..
:yum: :yum:

Also this Sony z7m2 headphone.
Also The big sony z1r and the Utopia.

Yes but 9200 and sonorous x are rated at 16 ohms so they will be the easiest to drive !

May 31, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #1,568 of 2,440
Anyone near Vienna, Austria that can send oratory1990 a pair of z7m2 to get measured and EQd?

Do you even have these headphones to begin with? If your goal is to buy it then EQ it, why not just buy a headphone you like to begin with that doesn't need EQ?

1a/1z only have 250 mw output at 16 ohms thats why.

1a/1z is best use for iems . Using headphones is getting inefficient. Moving that massive 70mm driver need lot of juice no matter the ohm and sensitivity.

Nope. In fact, with the impedance range as it is, running it off a 1A or 1Z is actually well within its limits. The Sony Walkmans suffer from high impedance headphones, which Sony's 70mm driver headphones don't seem to be.

While I don't have the figure for the Z7M2, I do have one for the MDR-Z1R:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRZ1Rsn3922.pdf

See how that impedance curve is practically flat? Means there's not a lot impedance swings. Those 70mm drivers are very efficient and don't need a lot of juice to drive.

As for the Z7M2, it's on the easier side to drive. I've had IEMs which required more voltage and current to drive.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #1,570 of 2,440
@dazzerfong not everyone's tastes or ears are the same, so that could be fixed with EQ. I figured I'd buy build quality and comfort and then then the signature could be tweaked to my liking from Harman target

Exactly, it's used to fix something. Why not buy something that doesn't require fixing to begin with? There's plenty of headphones in the wild with comparable or better combination of build quality and comfort. It's almost as if you're buying it for the Sony name alone.

For what it's worth, if you're still adamant on going on this route, here's a measurement plot between the Z1R and the Z7M2:

1590964456123.png

Compensate accordingly from the Z1R's Harman plot: mostly, decrease response at ~2.5kHz by 3dB and increase response at ~5.5 kHz by 10 dB.

Or, correspondingly, try this:

http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=21753&start=540#p687882

I thought the Vrms is what matters not mW for source ability to drive headphones. But now that I think of it, it makes sense since sensitivity is db/mW.

Sony should totally make a iFi Zen competitor. They made the 4.4mm port after all, why not bring it to the masses

It's both. Vrms and mW are tangentially related.

Also, Sony isn't interested in low-margin stuff with their audiophile offerings.

Yes but 9200 and sonorous x are rated at 16 ohms so they will be the easiest to drive !

It means that it requires less volts (easier), but more current (harder). Doesn't mean it's easier to drive in general.

You can't look at these numbers in isolation.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,571 of 2,440
It's almost as if you're buying it for the Sony name alone.

Usually bigger brands have more R&D, and no other brand ticks everything for $400 for me. I really wanted something recent, from a company that has a big R&D department, comfortable, good build, reliable, and capable of the sound signature I like. They have 3d earpads! Unfortunately not replaceable from what I heard. I was also looking for just one can that I can drive with just a macbook pro, or if I was going to get a desktop amp, one with a balanced connection.

Also the driver size is an amazing 70mm driver for a measly 56 ohms, which is also unheard of. Sony is really trying to push the envelope. So many reasons to get the z7m2, they are just not neutral, which is okay with me. So many reasons to get the xm3 / xm4 as well. XM4 or Z7m2 are both great buys around the $350-400 range, hence my name.

May 31, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #1,572 of 2,440
Usually bigger brands have more R&D, and no other brand ticks everything for $400 for me. I really wanted something recent, from a company that has a big R&D department, comfortable, good build, reliable, and capable of the sound signature I like.

Bigger brands have more marketing money, you mean............

That being said, it is a gorgeous headphone. I think it's easily the best aspect of the headphones, if not for the fact that it's so goddamn big.

They have 3d earpads! Unfortunately not replaceable from what I heard. I was also looking for just one can that I can drive with just a macbook pro, or if I was going to get a desktop amp, one with a balanced connection.

They are replaceable. The main weakness is that they're a bit on the thin side and can touch my ears.

It can, however, be driven rather easily. Get a iFi Zen or something if you're in a pinch.

Also the driver size is an amazing 70mm driver for a measly 56 ohms, which is also unheard of. Sony is really trying to push the envelope. So many reasons to get the z7m2, they are just not neutral, which is okay with me. So many reasons to get the xm3 / xm4 as well. XM4 or Z7m2 are both great buys around the $350-400 range, hence my name.

The 70mm driver is flawed: resonance at 3kHz and 5kHz. The ohm rating has nothing to do with the size: it's that low because they used thicker voice coils which are part of the reason for the resonance (poor damping).

The whole point of the large driver is to get good bass volume and sensation. Otherwise having such a large driver introduces a lot of problems. The funny thing is that Sony failed to tune the driver to take advantage of this. Luckily, if you EQ the bass, it can reach ridiculous levels with no distortion.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #1,573 of 2,440
The 70mm driver is flawed: resonance at 3kHz and 5kHz. The ohm rating has nothing to do with the size: it's that low because they used thicker voice coils which are part of the reason for the resonance (poor damping).

The whole point of the large driver is to get good bass volume and sensation. Otherwise having such a large driver introduces a lot of problems. The funny thing is that Sony failed to tune the driver to take advantage of this. Luckily, if you EQ the bass, it can reach ridiculous levels with no distortion.

Slightly off topic: so, are you not a fan of the Z1R? Asking, because I am considering a purchase and your note above is the first I've read about the problems with the 70mm driver.

May 31, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #1,574 of 2,440
Slightly off topic: so, are you not a fan of the Z1R? Asking, because I am considering a purchase and your note above is the first I've read about the problems with the 70mm driver.

Not for the RRP. At that price range, I'd take a Focal Clear any day of the week.

The problem with the 70mm driver is the same in both the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7M2. Basically, comes down to extreme ringing in 3.3 kHz and 9 kHz. If you nuke those frequencies the Z7M2 sound pretty good otherwise.

May 31, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #1,575 of 2,440
Not for the RRP. At that price range, I'd take a Focal Clear any day of the week.

The problem with the 70mm driver is the same in both the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7M2. Basically, comes down to extreme ringing in 3.3 kHz and 9 kHz. If you nuke those frequencies the Z7M2 sound pretty good otherwise.

The other set of 'phones on my list. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back