Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
May 27, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #1,546 of 2,440
for me its big none sense wide bass and super bright treble. really dont understand that tuning ier-z1r much better

He's talking about the MDR-Z1R, not the IER. You can put the pitchfork down.

That being said, it's weird they give it the same name, but has nothing similar in characteristic. I still don't know what the Sony house sound is as the M9, Z7M2, XM3 and IER/MDR-Z1R all have wildly different sound.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #1,547 of 2,440
Correct, as I already own the IER-Z1R and love them. Thanks for the clarity

May 27, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #1,548 of 2,440

That being said, it's weird they give it the same name, but has nothing similar in characteristic. I still don't know what the Sony house sound is as the M9, Z7M2, XM3 and IER/MDR-Z1R all have wildly different sound.
He was talking about the MDR-Z1R as well. But he's saying there at the end that he prefers the IER-Z1R over the MDR-Z1R.

I would advise basically anyone to give the Z7M2 a listen. It's one of my absolute favs, as I've expressed many times in this thread the last few months. It's crazy as the first time I owned the Z7m2 back in January 2019 I spent a good bit of timer in this thread **** on the Z7M2 after the honeymoon phase wore off and the fact that I still owed Amazon over $900 for them looming over me haha. But I bought them again almost a year ago at a heavily discounted used price here on the forums and it has been an entirely different experience ever since. I love them and will never part with them. Nor will I part with my MDR-Z7 and IER-M9.

May 27, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #1,549 of 2,440
He was talking about the MDR-Z1R as well. But he's saying there at the end that he prefers the IER-Z1R over the MDR-Z1R.

I would advise basically anyone to give the Z7M2 a listen. It's one of my absolute favs, as I've expressed many times in this thread the last few months. It's crazy as the first time I owned the Z7m2 back in January 2019 I spent a good bit of timer in this thread **** on the Z7M2 after the honeymoon phase wore off and the fact that I still owed Amazon over $900 for them looming over me haha. But I bought them again almost a year ago at a heavily discounted used price here on the forums and it has been an entirely different experience ever since. I love them and will never part with them. Nor will I part with my MDR-Z7 and IER-M9.
Yup I like the IER more. Doesn’t mean the MDR-Z1R. Just thinking the Z7M2 is almost or nearly as good for half the price?

May 27, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #1,550 of 2,440
If my objective is to get close to a ‘speaker like’ sound, which currently the IER-Z1R I have comes close to, for owners of both the MDR-Z1R and Z7M2, which comes closer to that same experience?

May 27, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #1,552 of 2,440
If my objective is to get close to a ‘speaker like’ sound, which currently the IER-Z1R I have comes close to, for owners of both the MDR-Z1R and Z7M2, which comes closer to that same experience?
This about sums up why I’m asking. What the experience is like as you phrased it. Good stuff

May 28, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #1,554 of 2,440

Neither - get an open headphone. Closed headphones will never approach that sensation of 'speaker sound' quote like an open headphone.

May 28, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #1,555 of 2,440
Neither - get an open headphone. Closed headphones will never approach that sensation of 'speaker sound' quote like an open headphone.
Considering how much my dog barks, the IER-Z1R has blocked her out a good amount. So open headphone is a no go for me

May 28, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #1,556 of 2,440

I was saying how mdr z1r was bad and ier-z1r better and I had heard all 3 of them

May 28, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #1,557 of 2,440
Yup I like the IER more. Doesn’t mean the MDR-Z1R. Just thinking the Z7M2 is almost or nearly as good for half the price?

2 completely different sound signature, you could own both and compliment them! Think Iez-z1r is like mdr-z1r level. Z7m2 is like a m9.... in iems

May 28, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #1,558 of 2,440
I was saying how mdr z1r was bad and ier-z1r better and I had heard all 3 of them
The MDR-Z1R I thought was solid, but perhaps my flaw for it is that I want it to use with my 1A and maybe it’s not the headphones for that player due to it needing more power to fully take advantage of its capabilities. So figured go down the next rank of the ladder. Plus being half price, never hurts to get cheaper.

And my dog doesn’t bark a whole that she bothers me. But when she does, I prefer not to be rattled while I enjoy my music. She’s trying to be “a watchdog”. So can’t blame her.

May 28, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #1,560 of 2,440
The MDR-Z1R I thought was solid, but perhaps my flaw for it is that I want it to use with my 1A and maybe it’s not the headphones for that player due to it needing more power to fully take advantage of its capabilities. So figured go down the next rank of the ladder. Plus being half price, never hurts to get cheaper.

And my dog doesn’t bark a whole that she bothers me. But when she does, I prefer not to be rattled while I enjoy my music. She’s trying to be “a watchdog”. So can’t blame her.

You can thete is enough power to drive the mdr and z7m2
Ier-z1r have 40 ohm and mdr 56 aint much of a difference but yes more amp power output will definitely be recommended here.
Many audiophiles use wm1z+wa11 in balanced. They say there is a much better sound experience that way. Music gets elevated and clearer.
With an amp you can bring more dynamics and louder sound perception of finer less easier small details to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back