Sony MDR-Z1R In classical music

IS Sony MDR-Z1R suitable for classical music

• Total voters
Aug 13, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #137 of 214
I have a SACd rip to DSD64 of Bach Four great toccatas and fugues. With E. Power Bigss (remasterd as SACD from analogue tapes) the sound is amazing from my WM1A and XBA-Z5 IEM, nice from MDR-Z7 but i find it lacking and resonant. And lie @SONYES i like the feeling of being there Big stage/hall/cathedral soundstage

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #138 of 214
After listening to the Z7M2 I actually wish there's something that could combine the open atmosphere of the Z7M2 and the Z1R sound. The Z1R atmosphere is overwhelming at times and then you face a sudden "disappearance" of the soundstage; that feeling is tricky. Also the foam inside the Z1R earpads seem too soft for me so they stick to my cheeks like I can't get rid of them.
How? is Z7M2 tricking itno small/big/small soundstage? glad i am deciding more for Z1R

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #139 of 214
How? is Z7M2 tricking itno small/big/small soundstage? glad i am deciding more for Z1R
Generally the Z1R has bigger soundstage than either the Z7 or the Z7M2. However the soundstage of z7m2 is kind of more stable, you can sense the sound occurs to you, reflects and diffuses through the chamber constantly, I regard this as an open atmosphere. For the Z1R there are times you may feel the sound propagates to you and just vanished, and the soundstage is very close to you on these occasions. I don't quite understand how this happens.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #140 of 214
Next wekk i will purchase my Z1Rs and sell my Z7 original version. Will also purchase the upcoming IER-Z1R. as for source i Have a NW-WM1A. If i find balanced is a must with Z7, what @SONYES said, then for Z1R's too, i do agree with him that these newer sony offerings are source dependant.

Now i got what you say, sometimes yeah i feel the same with Z7, the nice soundstage and then suddenly it goes poof! unde a thick cloud of sparkles :D and i get with a face of where is my soundstage?.

I do like bass with classical music, but not too exaggerated like f,e Beats by dr dre or low quality speakers, also don't like over-blwon highs, i've had this experience twice both with sony headphones and ended selling these ASAP (one was a Hi-fi D100 or so and the most recent a MDR-1R).

Contrasting to @SONYES i listen to more "classical" classical music e.g. Mozart, Beethoven, JS bach, Monteverdi, palestrina, Couperin, Telemann, Froberger, Vivaldi, Haydn etc. My library is like 1.08TB (238GB of these are High-res either 24-bit FLAC or DSF (DSD)) I value more mastering and recording quality.

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #141 of 214
Personally I think the ier-z1r is the best among those sony hi-res cans and iems, detailed resolution and pretty big soundstage for iems. They are successful in putting the 3-way drivers together, good work.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #142 of 214
Personally I think the ier-z1r is the best among those sony hi-res cans and iems, detailed resolution and pretty big soundstage for iems. They are successful in putting the 3-way drivers together, good work.
That fancy crossover overcomes multi drivers limitations :)

Z7mkii needs Z7 mods :D

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #143 of 214
That fancy crossover overcomes multi drivers limitations :)

Z7mkii needs Z7 mods :D
Hm? I don't think Sony ever used any fancy crossovers in their Multi driver design? They do have unique mounting and driver placements tho, but usually they just combine them into one chambers.
Let's see whether the Z7 Mk2 would be good enough even without mods~

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #144 of 214
Next wekk i will purchase my Z1Rs and sell my Z7 original version. Will also purchase the upcoming IER-Z1R. as for source i Have a NW-WM1A. If i find balanced is a must with Z7, what @SONYES said, then for Z1R's too, i do agree with him that these newer sony offerings are source dependant.

Now i got what you say, sometimes yeah i feel the same with Z7, the nice soundstage and then suddenly it goes poof! unde a thick cloud of sparkles :D and i get with a face of where is my soundstage?.

I do like bass with classical music, but not too exaggerated like f,e Beats by dr dre or low quality speakers, also don't like over-blwon highs, i've had this experience twice both with sony headphones and ended selling these ASAP (one was a Hi-fi D100 or so and the most recent a MDR-1R).

Contrasting to @SONYES i listen to more "classical" classical music e.g. Mozart, Beethoven, JS bach, Monteverdi, palestrina, Couperin, Telemann, Froberger, Vivaldi, Haydn etc. My library is like 1.08TB (238GB of these are High-res either 24-bit FLAC or DSF (DSD)) I value more mastering and recording quality.

Hello to you
The Z1R is with many good features and 1- not so much 3KHZ + ZING IN FEW CDS

My equipment is PHONITOR 2 amplifier
Maranz SA11CD
Cable is NEOTECH

And I also have the Sony KIMBER cable

My work mode is FULL BAL ........IN TO OUT

In order to achieve a sound balance that has improved remarkably
At the time of purchase a year ago
That way I can hear any kind of music and especially classical music
Different genres without problem

In my humble opinion the Z1R for me IS MACH ON TO HER THE JOY OF MUSIC BUT ... NOT WHAT IS through the HD800 3 IN DEFERNT NO....S I HED
And I sold the LUXMAN P-1U that did not fit

SONY Z1R IS FOR ME NOW THE BEST....
ALSO HE400I

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #145 of 214
Thank you @SONYES my main source is my Walkman WM1A which has balanced outpu
15342590413271985378454.jpg t

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #147 of 214
Thank you @SONYES my main source is my Walkman WM1A which has balanced outpu
t

The better the source TOP CD ..... AS SONY XA5400ES OR OHTER
There is no comparison to a medium-quality source

Of course you can not buy everything immediately
But slowly
You'll be able to get a good amplifier to try its compatible Sony's ES

But the Z1R is truly spectacular with a quality source.
But it costs at least a $ 2000 booster
And an excellent source
And do not forget about the cable.
The supplied is really not at the level of Aftermarket
Different in sound
BAL is the right form for achieving good sound in Z1R

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #148 of 214
Thank you @SONYES for clarifying my doubts. Like you, I was scared these z1r won't be suited for classical. I can't wait to have them on n my hands (and ears)

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #149 of 214
Thank you @SONYES for clarifying my doubts. Like you, I was scared these z1r won't be suited for classical. I can't wait to have them on n my hands (and ears)
THANK YOU
I repeat that
Z1R
They are spectacular
When connected to a high quality source
With a very high quality amplifier very fast and accurate
With the correct cable
And most importantly, in my opinion
Work form BAL
So they are spectacular in their ability
Present in front of you the orchestra instruments with the acoustics of the hall
And precise positioning of the instrument
A lot of fun in the sound
After all the conditions above will be carried out

Otherwise he will hear a reasonable

And it is very important that her sound gets from my experience
only after
300 hours of break-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back