Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Jan 15, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #526 of 644
  Thats what I was asking about more or less because from the few minutes I got to listen to the XB, before my phone batt died on me, it lacked a lot of clarity overall.  I guess Im going to go back listen to it and see if it can come anything close to the 05s or Inspirations.   Almost feels like a lot of empty hype about this set of cans, and that  even after heavy EQ'ing, and break-in period I guess anything sounds good...decent for a BT at that price.  Just really want something that can touch an Inspiration's pumping bass output etc.

Visit my thread and you can find that.
Anyway before giving up on the 950 I would try the Mods which have been proposed in this thread. I know from @Techfixation, with whom I am just in these days conversating about that in my thread, that he did the mods and was pleased with them.

Otherwise, a suggestion depends on many factors. Come and we discuss it.

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #527 of 644
  Visit my thread and you can find that.
Anyway before giving up on the 950 I would try the Mods which have been proposed in this thread. I know from @Techfixation, with whom I am just in these days conversating about that in my thread, that he did the mods and was pleased with them.

Otherwise, a suggestion depends on many factors. Come and we discuss it.

ok I will and would be very much interested in the findings that have been come up for the XB's.   I have faith in performing them and using a new pair as a test dummy for that purpose.   

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #528 of 644
  ok I will and would be very much interested in the findings that have been come up for the XB's.   I have faith in performing them and using a new pair as a test dummy for that purpose.   

specifically to the 950, this thread is the best place where to ask. There is mostly to compare them with other headphones and see which alternative options there could be for people looking for a strong bass, with good quality, in BT Headphones.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #529 of 644

I've had mine for 10 months or so now. The freedom of no strings is fantastic and can't be underestimated when you're on the go. Previously my portable rig was VMODA M-80s and double stacking my phone with a FiiO E07k. The big Sonys are so comfortable and I thought they were pretty good wireless with bass boost on. Never really used them without bass boost. Since I set up a decent home rig I've realised the bass can be a bit distorted and loose with boost engaged.

Didn't really test them in wired mode until tonight, and I have to say I'm enjoying them. Cable is too short, however I have an extension cable which doesn't seem to affect the sound (no cable woo for me thanks). Very coherent with excellent soundstage and imaging. May be a little dark and languid, bass could be a bit soft like my XB600s and the mids could be a touch hollowed out. Time will tell but I doubt they'll usurp my current favourite, the slammin' SMS Street on ear. They are more comfortable than the Streets, if not up there with the insanely light Sennheiser PX95s, which are also no slouch for SQ and bass.

The red PSB M4U1s pictured are incredibly transparent and technically the best cans I have, but lack a little bass impact, even with EQing.

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #530 of 644
I've had my MDR-XB950BT for a little over a year and use them everyday at work.

Ran into an issue though, the ear cusshion on the left ear has been slowly coming off.  Contacted Sony to see if they could repair and they said no.

Waiting on Encompass, their parts distributor to see if I can purchase a new cushion.

Anyone ran into this issue or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #531 of 644
I just got these as refurbished off eBay for $100. I have been eyeing them for a while and they did not disappoint. I would say for $100, these are probably the best headphones I have ever owned. Without the extra bass, they sound great (still a little bass heavy), and with the extra bass, it's fun, but only sometimes, depending on the music. Also, the cushion is made out of thick leather like material unlike those thin films that dry into little pieces they use on some reputed brands. 

I do tend to agree with the poster above me. Around the cushion edges these seem just a tad bit flimsy. And so do the sliders. I am going to handle them with care.

Previously, I have been using our good old Nakamichi BT304 headphones for workout and surprisingly for that price, their sound with a nice balance low and mid notes. But now they are on life support with scotch tape wrapped around the sliding parts. I fear the same will happen with Sony. 

But for now, these are enough to throw the overpriced Monster and Bose out of the water. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #532 of 644
  specifically to the 950, this thread is the best place where to ask. There is mostly to compare them with other headphones and see which alternative options there could be for people looking for a strong bass, with good quality, in BT Headphones.

Have you heard of, or tried these JVC Elation XX HA-SBT200X?  They have "Hyper Bass", a bass boost (only in wireless, not passive mode), and "dual-magnet" drivers.

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029465&page=1

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #533 of 644

Have you heard of, or tried these JVC Elation XX HA-SBT200X?  They have "Hyper Bass", a bass boost (only in wireless, not passive mode), and "dual-magnet" drivers.

Yes I had a look at their BT offerings and was intrigued by the bass.
I wish to test them. If they send them to me it will be fast, if not, it may take time.
Did you try them?

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #534 of 644
Yes, I have both the XB950BT and the JVC HA-SBT200X, but I won't have both for long as I am offering one as a gift to a friend (whichever he chooses) who really likes strong bass.  I think he will pick the Sony XB950BT because it is boomier (to my ear, at least), and has bigger ear cups (for comfort), but I have had very little head time with them and my impressions are thus not very well formed.

The JVC to my ears is much better balanced and a better overall headphone, and while it doesn't vibrate like the XB950BT, and is less boomy (even with bass boost on on the JVC), I feel like the quality of the bass is better on the JVC.  I suspect that the JVC is still less of an overall headphone than the Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT that you have talked about, but I've never heard that HP so I can't compare directly.

I've read some of yours, and I have identified you as the bluetooth HP expert here. :)  That's why I am hoping you can get some head time with these and give the community your impressions.  If my friend picks the Sony's (as I suspect he will), then I would consider sending you these JVC phones -- assuming they don't send you an eval unit themselves, which would be awesome, too, of course!

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #535 of 644
If my friend picks the Sony's (as I suspect he will), then I would consider sending you these JVC phones -- assuming they don't send you an eval unit themselves, which would be awesome, too, of course!

Indeed pretty awesome :)
Then let's hope that your friend picks the Sony (but given your description I think he should pick them, and eventually mod them).
Let's write us in PM.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #536 of 644
Hi Guys. These guys are on sale for $85 on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-XB950BT-B-Extra-Bass-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones-w-Microphone-Black-/311562068106?customid=8c91f43cf50111e58b6796aa0ec69b5f0INT&pub=5574652453&campid=5335869999&afepn=5335869999&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true

My desire is to use two of these at once from my PC. I don't want to buy two of these and then realize I can't use Bluetooth multicast.

This is my bluetooth adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/SHARKK-Bluetooth-adapter-Windows-Receiver/dp/B00F788FMA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Any info on using two bluetooth headphone devices at once? Using windows 10 here. Thanks for any info.

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #537 of 644
I purchased these and liked the sound but had to return them as they weren't comfortable on me. The pads while most go over your ear these slightly pinched my ear.

Are there any mods out there to change the ear pads?

May 5, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #538 of 644
So I've went back and forth with Sony regarding this issue and I have two choices:  Purchase another earpad for $62 or buy another headphone.  $62 for just an earpad????!!!!! is very ridiculous.  Maybe if the speaker blew and needed to replaced, but that price for just foam and pleather is crazy.  

For anyone else out there that has this headphone beware.  Sony is not the same company that allowed me to ship my MDR-V6 for them to fix a short after owning them for a few years. And for $20 I might add.  Nope they have skimped down to get through their trying times.  And this falls back on the customer.  I really expected them to not offer the earpad for sale at all or be around $20-$30.

So my next headset will be from a headphone company and not a consumer electronics company that has their hands in many things.  I'm sure Audio Technica or Shure wouldn't have prices this outrageous.

I'm pissed about the $62 because I only paid $100 at Best Buy during a Black Friday sale(original price was $199).  

Buyer Beware!!!!

May 5, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #539 of 644
Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT with the angled leatherette HM5.
This is the way to go to have quality and power.
The 950 don't reach the bottom of the feet of the WS...

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #540 of 644
So I've just had these headphones passed on to me. They seem to be a of a good build and quality and actually barely used, with the audio and USB cables still wrapped up.

The problem I have with these is in the audio balance. I have just read through most of the last 36 pages trying to see if anyone's had to deal with a similar issue, and just one person page seemed to (post #441 on Page 30) but perhaps nowhere near as bad as mine are.

There is a very significant bass imbalance. That is, most of the bass seems to be in the right ear, while the left ear does not seem to register it at all, though it seems to play all the other higher range of audio frequencies well enough, but it does make for a very odd listening experience.

So I was wondering if there is any remedy for this? I gather they have to be burned in for some amount of time before a generally improved all-round quality and balance is reached, but this issue seems to be beyond that helping with. Of course I have tested this with various audio sources, both wired and unwired, but it always remains the same. 

Perhaps there is some circuit board tinkering that might correct it, like a little potentiometer or something that can be fine tuned? Potentially quick remedies like resetting and initializing a few times has so far not made any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back