Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
May 5, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #407 of 644
Thanks for reply. Well dennons are quite for my budget, so cant buy those. Whats your opinion about ATH WS77? Are they better in overall SQ as compared to sonys?
haven't heard the ATH ws77 but according to those hear at headfi they sound good. The 950 is all about the bass whereas the 77 sounds like it may be more tonally balanced which it this is your only headphone would be a better move.

May 5, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #408 of 644
Thanks for reply. Well dennons are quite for my budget, so cant buy those. Whats your opinion about ATH WS77? Are they better in overall SQ as compared to sonys?
I had the ws99, and currently have the Sony's. If you don't mind to eq, the Sony's are great. I liked the ws99, but didn't feel the bass was deep enough. It was more about the warmth and ath vocals. Very fun, very capable, but for deep bass Sony will do just fine.

May 6, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #409 of 644
thanks, I really wanna get sonys, but here many people here say that bass is muddy and bloated. Do you think EQing can make them sound clear? Also I would be glad if you compare XB950s with XB500 and X10. Which one should I go with? 

May 6, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #410 of 644
  thanks, I really wanna get sonys, but here many people here say that bass is muddy and bloated. Do you think EQing can make them sound clear? Also I would be glad if you compare XB950s with XB500 and X10. Which one should I go with? 

Its going to cost you a fair penny to get bass that isn't a bit muddy and bloated and that has the power you seem to crave.

What kinda music do you dig? <- this is pretty important, especially for lower priced and mid-tier headphones that may perform better with certain genres.

Also, let us know how you plan on using these - on the move, at home chilling, playing games, watching movies, making music etc.

Sometimes you just need to buy and try. 

May 7, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #411 of 644
well I actually listened to all kind of music i.e. pop, dubstep and classical as well. I am gonna use headphones at home with pc for watching movies , music and not for games. I just wanna know how much these sonys gonna improve by EQing...?

May 9, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #413 of 644
Hey, HEAD-FIers, I know someone has already mentioned that everything is plastic except the top part of the headband.  How about the parts holding earcups?  Are they metal?  If not, are they strong enough to hold the cups securely, not easily breakable?

May 9, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #414 of 644
  Hey, HEAD-FIers, I know someone has already mentioned that everything is plastic except the top part of the headband.  How about the parts holding earcups?  Are they metal?  If not, are they strong enough to hold the cups securely, not easily breakable?

When I had them, the design seemed fairly well made.

May 13, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #416 of 644

EQing helps a lot, a whole lot. without EQ they will seem muddy if you compare to others.
X10 is warm, but lacking quality in bass.
xb500 is very warm, but like the 950 EQ can help a lot. without eq they sound much worse (from memory). reason why i got rid of them is because they bleed sound like open cans... they are pretty much open. They can thunder with proper EQ though.

May 14, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #417 of 644
Thank you, guys.

I have placed an order of the pair of headphones last Saturday and received it today.  My first impression is that the pair is just OK.  I like the design, but the sound is kind of cheap.  I may need to burn it in for a while.

May 15, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #418 of 644
  Thank you, guys.

I have placed an order of the pair of headphones last Saturday and received it today.  My first impression is that the pair is just OK.  I like the design, but the sound is kind of cheap.  I may need to burn it in for a while.

they should sound a lot better with the included cable.  also, be sure to activate the high quality mode by holding the up volume and the power button when turning on the device until you see 3 flashing lights.  I have had this headphone for half a year now, and they definitely sound better with age.  the only downside is that i find them extremely bulky and ugly when i put them on.  the styling just doesnt work for my head shape.

May 16, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #419 of 644
Hello everyone,
my first posting here :) . I recently got these sony headphones.
However I must say that I am not quite sure whether to keep it 
or to ask for a return.

Mainly because of 2 things (in bluetooth mode):

Minimum Volume  
by that I mean the possible control via the volume buttons on the headphone.
The minimum setting seems already very loud to me, and I am usually not
the kind of person that listens to music at very low volume. 

Buzzing Noise
There is always some low frequency buzzing noise in the background during playback.
It only disappears when the headphones switch to powersave mode.
I constantly notice it in tracks without much lows, but mids & highs. This is 
quite annoying. 

The headphones are set in high quality mode (holding down VOL+ button while switching them on, blue LED flashes 3 times), 
but as I do not have a apt-X bluetooth dongle it probably reverts to standard quality mode.
I as well did reset them, which however did not help.
All this makes me wonder a bit.

Did somebody else of you make the same observations?
Does the buzzing noise vanish in aptX playback mode?
Or are the headphones I received simply broken?

It would be great if a few of you could give me some feedback.
Thank you a lot! 

May 17, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #420 of 644
Did you let them burn in? From what I remember... and I might have written it in my review, these headphones needed a good burn in to open up. As far as frequency buzz I did not have that issue.

You can also control the volume separately with your device as the volume control on these headphones are for the headphones themselves and your source will have it's own volume level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back