Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Jan 6, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #331 of 644
To me the sony xbr950bt were just ok, at 100.00 they were a very good deal. pros massive bass, sometime too much, mediocre mids, good treble, fantastic fit for round pads I prefer oval pads better, very comfortable more than the backbeats pro, ultra light, zero fatigue. Cons way too much bass with bass boost, I had to lower volume with this setting and I can tolerate bass, battery lasts a good about of time, sounded too closed in to me not open at all, almost mono-ish, turning on high quality sound aptx was a PIA. I don't want to sound like a fan boy, but the plantronics backbeat pro are an eye opener for a bluetooth headphone. The logitec ue 9000 sounded better to me than xb950bt, more clear, more open, better quality bass, it's an oldie but a goodie, for the same price.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #332 of 644
To me the sony xbr950bt were just ok, at 100.00 they were a very good deal. pros massive bass, sometime too much, mediocre mids, good treble, fantastic fit for round pads I prefer oval pads better, very comfortable more than the backbeats pro, ultra light, zero fatigue. Cons way too much bass with bass boost, I had to lower volume with this setting and I can tolerate bass, battery lasts a good about of time, sounded too closed in to me not open at all, almost mono-ish, turning on high quality sound aptx was a PIA. I don't want to sound like a fan boy, but the plantronics backbeat pro are an eye opener for a bluetooth headphone. The logitec ue 9000 sounded better to me than xb950bt, more clear, more open, better quality bass, it's an oldie but a goodie, for the same price.

Strange, I would say they severely lack highs (the Sony XB).
Although they are a bit like the House of Marley Liberate XLBT in this: both lack highs without EQ, but respond well to EQ.
Ok, none of them ever get to the crispy detailed highs of the Plantronics backbeat Pro, yes. But it is impressive how they improve with some EQ. This make me think, what had the producers in mind? Could they not boost highs already with the internal amp/dps?

You do not sound as a fanboy to me, because I have suggested the Plantronics to you :)

Yeah, bass quality was one of the issues I wanted to address. It was underdamped, so there was not much focus or precision at stock. Modded does have better focus, but the quantity leaves much to be desired, because... well, they simply don't have a lot of bass to begin with.

Now that I have obtained a MDR-Z7, and I have regained my ATH-ES10 for portable use, I'm starting to feel the limitations of the XB950BT creeping up to the powerhouses. It's still a very nice bluetooth headphone, but I think I'm just asking for too much from it.

It's still the best bluetooth headphone I have heard, of course. Heard the MDR-1RBT, and I wasn't hearly half as impressed. I haven't heard the Fidelio M2BT... but will try that one when I get a chance.

Bill, which other BT Headphones did you try?
Btw, the MDR-1 did not impress me either.
They sounded overall better than the MDR-XB to me, with more highs, more balanced sound.
But, not so good to justify the price over the XB.
The Soundstage was definitely better than the XB though. THe XB have almost null soundstage.

I personally take the XB not so much seriously. They are cheap enough to be bought as a funny headphones for bass moments.
I would not lose too much time trying to make of them something else with 20000 Mods but I will love to read your news about other mods. If you have that passion it must be surely be funny for you to see how can you push a Headphone into territories that for some reason the manufacturer was too lazy for.

I do not know how much they can change their nature though.
Their nature is a basshead headphone of middle budget with decent overall sound quality.
And for what they cost, I think they do well what they promise to do.
I of course still wish something like the Fidelio but with bassboost. So that I can not only have lot of bass, but also good quality bass. Which I cannot say of the XB.

Maybe after CES we'll see that happen! :D

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #333 of 644
Giogio you are right you refreshed my memory they had alot of bass but not the low hertz rumble bass we like so much. You are also right you did recommend the backbeat pro, I'm glad I took your advise thank you...

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #334 of 644
Giogio you are right you refreshed my memory they had alot of bass but not the low hertz rumble bass we like so much. You are also right you did recommend the backbeat pro, I'm glad I took your advise thank you...

My mistake David! I wrote bass but I meant highs and I was talking of the Sony XB (I corrected the post now).
I meant that it is strange that you say they have good highs, because for me they lack highs very much.
I have to boost highs with the EQ at +9 to +12 DB (on MusicBee).

About the UE9000, I understand very well why you loved them so much.
I am loving them too. They are simply amazing. And you are right, they do not lack highs, they roll them off a bit making them sound not harsh but there is no lack here.
The bass is great, honestly, I am not sure the Plantronics have better bass. You do?
I think the Plantronics have more defined, precise bass, clean. But a bit more dry too. The UE are more, fat.
Unfortunately I cannot compare them side to side. Pity.
The UE sound actually pretty much like the Fidelio, but I would say the Fidelio are a middle way between UE and Plantronics. They are almost as fat as the UE, and as bright as the Plantronics.
But the frequencies are different, I am comparing them (UE and Fidelio) now and in some songs/moments the bass of the UE is "better", in other moments is better on the Fidelio.
Overall I prefer the Fidelio.
And the UE are a bit heavy on the head. Not on the ears, but the head band is somehow heavy after a while...

But this is maybe the wrong thread :D

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #338 of 644
Anyone know if the mdr-1 or mdr-10r cable will work with the recessed jack on the xb950bt?
I also would also like to know if anyone came across a reasonably priced cord with a inline mic and remote that would fit my xb950bt.
Thanks a bunch!

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #341 of 644
  Hey man how did you activate aptx high quality mode on the 950bt?? I have looked everywhere and cant find an answer.

What's up dude. To get the high quality mode you hold + volume and power button from off. You'll see two fast blue leds, followed by slow red leds (1 flash-low batt, 2 flash-med, 3 flash-full), then you'll see slow blue flashes. 1 flash - stable mode (lowest quality), 2 flash - standard mode (default), 3 flash - hiqh quality. Some say it keeps the setting from your last shutdown but it's intermittent for me, sometimes it keeps it or sometimes it resets back to stable mode or standard mode.

To lower quality, hold down volume while powering on. If you had high quality the last time it was on, it will be standard mode (two slow blue flashes after the battery life). Or a single slow blue flash if you were in standard mode.

It's nowhere to be found in the instructions.
confused.gif

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #342 of 644
Hey man how did you activate aptx high quality mode on the 950bt?? I have looked everywhere and cant find an answer.

Which device are you using to play music? And how does it get aptx?
You may need to confirm the real activation of APTX on the headphone with the notifications of pc or smartphone or with the blinking led of an adapter.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #344 of 644
Then it's simple: if the Sony is really in aptx mode you must get a notification on your phone when you connect them, saying "connected to an APTX device.
If you don't get it, then the Sony are not in APTX mode, so repeat the vol-up + On combination till you get it.

In my case they always kept the last used mode so i would return them as defect if they don't.

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #345 of 644
Guys, these have been reduced to 130 euros at my local e-tailer. Are they worth the money? I want a decent Bluetooth headphone that I can use with my PC, phone and tablet.

I currently own an AKG 240 MK II but the cable frustrates me sooo much... 130 is really the top end of what I can affort to spend on headphones at the moment. So are these worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back