Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Dec 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #200 of 644
Currently $148.99 Good deal or do you anticipate further price decreases before Christmas

Quote:
All onboard electronics is turned off when using the cable.

I tried to see how it would sound if I put a piece of electrical tape over the port and seems to have tightened up the bass. Bass button actually sounds good with EQ tweak.

Was kidding around. The Mk2's are so crisp and clear, if they do get clearer after burn in the highs might over power the lows
smily_headphones1.gif

Photos time!

Let's dissect this thing:

The left side will be exactly the same, so I'll only show you how to dissect the right side.

Step 1: pull the ear pad off. You can either start pulling at the rear or the front of the headphone. I usually go for the rear, but it doesn't matter.

Wiggle it a bit if it's being difficult. Either way, the ear pad should come sliding off. Like this:

And we have the exposed driver:

Apply dynamat (or similar material) on the inner lip like so:

And on the outer lip like this:

Alright. That's it for the outside.

Step 2: getting to the innards... unscrew the 4 screws in the spots I have highlighted:

And after that, BE CAREFUL NOT TO YANK OFF THE WIRES IN THE BACK!!

Grab the whole front enclosure (including the red ring bit) and gently lift it from the front... like so:

Once you lift it off, set it down gently as well. The wires are very very thin, and though I'm sure they won't come off that easily, please don't take any chances with them! It's a hassle having to solder wires that small.

Anyway, here you can see a bit of the other stuffs that I did: one piece of dynamat on the back of the plastic enclosure, and a square-ish sheet liner material on top.

Here's the other mod: dynamat pieces lining the enclosure close to the top, next to the bass port. Make sure you do this for both sides of the bass port.

Okay. And that's the inner enclosure. Let's get even further inside!

Step 3: getting even deeper. Unscrew the 2 screws at the spots highlighted.

The driver baffle should fall right off, but just to be sure, lift it from the front again (note: front means no wire). And here you can see a part of my mods again: piece of foam directly in the back of the driver. Any crafting foam about 2mm thick should do.

And here's the rest of the mods... in overview: dynamat circle directly on top of the plastic enclosure opposing the driver, then the same sheet liner material on top. Then more dynamat in the slot on top and one small piece of dynamat on the small square piece on the bottom.

That's not all. There's also dynamat on the top here. One piece on the extra plastic space beside the bass ports, and one piece directly blocking the square hole. You'll know what I mean by "square hole" once you open your headphone up.

Note: the piece blocking the square hole needs to be the exact same dimensions for both sides. This is important, otherwise you'll have channel imbalance. The exact dimensions are up to you. Bigger square = more treble/clarity, less bass. Smaller square = retain some bass/warmth. You may also opt to not do this part.

On the other side: you already saw the foam piece sitting on top of the back of the driver, and also... dynamat pieces lining the plastic space between the 3 screw holes

Last but not least, push a piece of foam that's cut precisely to the bass port's size, and then shove it in there like so:

And... that's it! Enjoy!

Links to purchase stuffs:

Sheet liner:
http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Premium-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-4-Feet/dp/B001AH8PLI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1418008040&sr=8-4&keywords=shelf+liner

2mm foam:
http://www.amazon.com/Foam-Sheet-X12-2mm-Black-pack/dp/B005M2Q9MO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418008087&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+sheet

Dynamat (you may get away with this much, but I'd suggest purchasing more to be sure):
http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10415-Self-Adhesive-Deadener-Speaker/dp/B00020CATC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418008111&sr=8-3&keywords=dynamat

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #201 of 644
That's $50 less than full retail so that's a decent deal!

Also, I've been letting mine burn-in for some time now. I think initially I had 50-60hrs on the headphones. The biggest difference I noticed on the highs and mids were AFTER that 50-60hrs I let it run for 4-5hrs of pink noise. IMO the pink noise took a veil off that made the phones too warm.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #202 of 644
That's $50 less than full retail so that's a decent deal!

Also, I've been letting mine burn-in for some time now. I think initially I had 50-60hrs on the headphones. The biggest difference I noticed on the highs and mids were AFTER that 50-60hrs I let it run for 4-5hrs of pink noise. IMO the pink noise took a veil off that made the phones too warm.

Yeah I bought them don't want to miss out again

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #203 of 644
Im looking for a pair of Bluetooth headphones und found two options for me:
the Sony XB950 or the Sony 10RBT.

I own the XB700 and the Sony 10RC (this is the on ear version of the Sony MDR-10R).
I really like the Sound of the 10RC (less bass but better highs than my XB700).
So should i get the 10RBT if i like the 10RC more than the XB700 or should i still give the XB950 a chance?

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #204 of 644
I suggest sticking with the 10RBT as it will sound more like what your wanting signature wise.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #205 of 644
Has anyone had any pairing issues with their XB950s?  I cannot get mine to connect with Galaxy S3 phone or Sony Tablet (oh the irony there).  Neither device even recognizes the HP as within range.  Both are 2-3 years since purchased, but I don't think they are out of date technologically Hahaha 

On the other hand, my Cowon J3 has no problem and works wonderfully (luckily that's what I primarily use).  Halp?!

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #206 of 644
To enter pairing mode on the xb950bt hold the power button for 7 secs (the light should flash blue & orange) In which your device should recognize the headphones.
I personally had no issues pairing with my devices.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #208 of 644
To enter pairing mode on the xb950bt hold the power button for 7 secs (the light should flash blue & orange) In which your device should recognize the headphones.
I personally had no issues pairing with my devices.

Hmmm I swear I did that...May be I was not patient enough?  I will try it again after work...I will probably feel like an idiot Hahaha

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #210 of 644
Make sure your other devices with bluetooth, have bluetooth feature shut off, or else the headphones will keep pairing with original device and not pair with new device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back