Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Dec 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #182 of 644
Think I found a song that is too much for these headphones haha. Go to Google Market and look for "Bossin up" by Kid Ink, Asep, French Montana. My left speaker clips at full blast with bass boost on. I personally never heard headphones clip.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #183 of 644
The sound sig is still changing, and they are very good now. Treble is much clearer aswell as the mids are coming more foward. Make sure you burn them in good before returning them if you are not crazy about the sound out of the box. One little negative I found is you cannot use bluetooth while charging, my ue 9000 were able to do this, not a big deal though with 20 hours battery life.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #184 of 644
The sound sig is still changing, and they are very good now. Treble is much aswell as the mids are coming more foward. Make sure you burn them in good before returning them if you are not crazy about the sound out of the box. One little negative I found is you cannot use bluetooth while charging, my ue 9000 were able to do this, not a big deal though with 20 hours battery life.

How long of a burn-in are you talking about?

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #185 of 644
I been listening to these since the sale, yes the mids and highs keep getting better. I never believed in burn in but these headphones proved that theory right. It does get better. You just gotta keep listening. Now I'm kinda stuck because I have listened to these much more then my Mk2's so that leads me to believe that when my Mk2's finally burn in I'm gonna be left with no bass hahaha.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #186 of 644
I have been running mine ever day since I got them about a week ago, at least 5 to 6 hour a day. It definitely changed alot from when I first got them for the better. Diablito care to explain about what you said about losing bass on the mk2?

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #187 of 644
I have been running mine ever day since I got them about a week ago, at least 5 to 6 hour a day. It definitely changed alot from when I first got them for the better. Diablito care to explain about what you said about losing bass on the mk2?

Was kidding around. The Mk2's are so crisp and clear, if they do get clearer after burn in the highs might over power the lows :)

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #189 of 644
Photos time!

Let's dissect this thing:

The left side will be exactly the same, so I'll only show you how to dissect the right side.

Step 1: pull the ear pad off. You can either start pulling at the rear or the front of the headphone. I usually go for the rear, but it doesn't matter.

Wiggle it a bit if it's being difficult. Either way, the ear pad should come sliding off. Like this:

And we have the exposed driver:

Apply dynamat (or similar material) on the inner lip like so:

And on the outer lip like this:

Alright. That's it for the outside.

Step 2: getting to the innards... unscrew the 4 screws in the spots I have highlighted:

And after that, BE CAREFUL NOT TO YANK OFF THE WIRES IN THE BACK!!

Grab the whole front enclosure (including the red ring bit) and gently lift it from the front... like so:

Once you lift it off, set it down gently as well. The wires are very very thin, and though I'm sure they won't come off that easily, please don't take any chances with them! It's a hassle having to solder wires that small.

Anyway, here you can see a bit of the other stuffs that I did: one piece of dynamat on the back of the plastic enclosure, and a square-ish sheet liner material on top.

Here's the other mod: dynamat pieces lining the enclosure close to the top, next to the bass port. Make sure you do this for both sides of the bass port.

Okay. And that's the inner enclosure. Let's get even further inside!

Step 3: getting even deeper. Unscrew the 2 screws at the spots highlighted.

The driver baffle should fall right off, but just to be sure, lift it from the front again (note: front means no wire). And here you can see a part of my mods again: piece of foam directly in the back of the driver. Any crafting foam about 2mm thick should do.

And here's the rest of the mods... in overview: dynamat circle directly on top of the plastic enclosure opposing the driver, then the same sheet liner material on top. Then more dynamat in the slot on top and one small piece of dynamat on the small square piece on the bottom.

That's not all. There's also dynamat on the top here. One piece on the extra plastic space beside the bass ports, and one piece directly blocking the square hole. You'll know what I mean by "square hole" once you open your headphone up.

Note: the piece blocking the square hole needs to be the exact same dimensions for both sides. This is important, otherwise you'll have channel imbalance. The exact dimensions are up to you. Bigger square = more treble/clarity, less bass. Smaller square = retain some bass/warmth. You may also opt to not do this part.

On the other side: you already saw the foam piece sitting on top of the back of the driver, and also... dynamat pieces lining the plastic space between the 3 screw holes

Last but not least, push a piece of foam that's cut precisely to the bass port's size, and then shove it in there like so:

And... that's it! Enjoy!

If you would like to do more, go here for stage 2 of the mod.

Links to purchase stuffs:

Sheet liner:
http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Premium-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-4-Feet/dp/B001AH8PLI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1418008040&sr=8-4&keywords=shelf+liner

2mm foam:
http://www.amazon.com/Foam-Sheet-X12-2mm-Black-pack/dp/B005M2Q9MO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418008087&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+sheet

Dynamat (you may get away with this much, but I'd suggest purchasing more to be sure):
http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10415-Self-Adhesive-Deadener-Speaker/dp/B00020CATC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418008111&sr=8-3&keywords=dynamat

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #191 of 644
Yeah, I did. I actually added the liner and foam after doing the dynamat mod.

The liner helps expand the soundstage slightly, along with adding some air and separation. Without it, the headphone can sound a bit "stuck together", for lack of a better description.

The foam is there to reduce bass boom and bring some textures. Some may prefer stock bass, but it is too blurred and bloated for me. I'm much too used to the HE-560.

Also, the tonality is a nod toward my HE-560. It's not quite there, but it's pretty close. I have been using this for a whole week, and not feeling like I'm missing anything (tonally) from the HE-560 when I'm away from the desk. Both headphones sound very similar, if not identical. The rest of the differences are more comfort, soundstage, extra separation, and so on, but all of that goes out of the window pretty quickly when I'm on a bus, and that's where the bass boost functionality will now give me that extra rumble and body instead of blurring everything like before.

The mod is specifically tuned to my preference, in other words. You may or may not like certain aspects of it, so... please do play around with things and see where your happy medium is. What works for me may not work for everyone else.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #192 of 644
That sounds like a good overall sound. Looking forward to adding some clarity to the phones, I'm using it for tv/gaming duty soon with a Bluetooth transmitter. The thought of going from neutral to having bass boost in a controlled fashion sounds like it'll be a versatile phone.

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #193 of 644
I know the xb950bt have plenty bass, too much with boost on, how much less bass does the the mk2 have, I'm on the fence to get those.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #195 of 644
I know the xb950bt have plenty bass, too much with boost on, how much less bass does the the mk2 have, I'm on the fence to get those.

Mk2's have good bass but your ears have to get use to it especially when your coming from the 950bt's. Just keep both like i did :). One day I feel like Mk2's and some days the 950bt's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back