Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Dec 5, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #167 of 644
yes the dynamat mod helps the bass tighten up and improves the midrange. you actually need to dynamat the plastic cap housing the speaker versus the cups themselves. you will see what I mean when you open up the cups.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #169 of 644
The bass is tighter and no longer boomy. The mids become a little brighter because the midbass is more controlled.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #172 of 644
It would have been nice if they had a seperate volume button for the bass instead of a just boost button to control all that power! I find these sound better at lower volumes, they can get pretty loud, with no boost, with boost its just nuts....

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #173 of 644
Initial impressions -

Amazing build quality, leaps and bounds better than the MDR-1R in that aspect. Pretty weird considering that the 1Rs were more expensive when I got them. Bass is insane, I'm listening wired while charging so this is without bass boost. Honestly I can't even begin to imagine what these would sound like with bass boost on. Pretty dark, soundstage not as good MDR-1Rs. But the bass..... it's addictive.

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #174 of 644
I dynamatted the cap and so far that is all I have changed and this has helped the bass a lot.

The paper around the driver is there to attenuate the treble versus the port in the back which helps the sound stage and bass. So either using thinner paper or possibly perforating the paper may possibly increase the treble. But I also wonder if the earpads themselves are covering up the outer edges of the driver which is impacting the treble. Looking at the design again, the angled drivers eliminate the possibility the earpads are causing treble loss. This leaves only messing with the paper around the drivers to change the treble which is definitely risky and non-reversible. So at this point I will wait and see what Bill-P comes up with and then decide on any new changes I am willing to try with these.

Sorry, I still haven't been able to settle down and do a detailed mod guide, but I think you already figured most of it out.

Probably the last step you'll want to take, I think, is to employ a piece of foam like so:

image.jpg

That's it. It'll allow bass to get that last percentile of tightness, IMO. And then it should sound like a more neutral headphone. But please be aware that this will also expose the sub bass deficiency of the original design. Engaging bass boost will now actually sound like it's giving you that extra sub bass, and the quality doesn't suffer. I think this is the best of both worlds, because otherwise, stock bass may be too much in some cases, while bass boost is simply ridiculous.

Edit: oh, and also nice side effect of better isolation since noise from bass port is mostly blocked out, but some air is still let in.

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #175 of 644
Sorry, I still haven't been able to settle down and do a detailed mod guide, but I think you already figured most of it out.

Probably the last step you'll want to take, I think, is to employ a piece of foam like so:

image.jpg

That's it. It'll allow bass to get that last percentile of tightness, IMO. And then it should sound like a more neutral headphone. But please be aware that this will also expose the sub bass deficiency of the original design. Engaging bass boost will now actually sound like it's giving you that extra sub bass, and the quality doesn't suffer. I think this is the best of both worlds, because otherwise, stock bass may be too much in some cases, while bass boost is simply ridiculous.

Edit: oh, and also nice side effect of better isolation since noise from bass port is mostly blocked out, but some air is still let in.

Cool, I was thinking about trying to block the port a bit, I forgot the headphone at the office but will try the foam in the port and report back how it works for me. I think the added isolation will be a definite bonus too.

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #177 of 644
Less wind noise I think. The 10R is similar but a smaller port

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #179 of 644
Been having a good time going over my more fun playlists on Spotify and listening with bt freedom the last few days. With the earthquake boost on of course.

Also today is the last day to sign up for the "2014 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Exchange." You can search the site for the thread or use the link on my signature to sign up!

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #180 of 644
Is it wrong that I'm completely in love with the bass boost? Yes it's boomy as hell but I've got my 1Rs for (somewhat) analytical listening so I've been thinking about keeping these stock and accepting them for the bass monsters they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back