Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Dec 2, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #121 of 644
I'm loving these headphones. They are my first pair of wireless headphones and they have far surpassed my expectations. They sound great, battery lasts forever and they're super comfy.
I had to download a Windows update with them plugged in to enable usb charging on Windows 8.1. I couldn't understand why the red light wouldn't stay on with them plugged in.
I don't have aptx on my iPhone 6 but they sound pretty great regardless. I notice a quiet, slight hum when there is no track playing but I can't detect it when music is playing (obviously)
I got them on Black Friday for $99 and I consider that a steal!
A great addition to my headphone lineup.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #123 of 644
I'm loving these headphones. They are my first pair of wireless headphones and they have far surpassed my expectations. They sound great, battery lasts forever and they're super comfy.
I had to download a Windows update with them plugged in to enable usb charging on Windows 8.1. I couldn't understand why the red light wouldn't stay on with them plugged in.
I don't have aptx on my iPhone 6 but they sound pretty great regardless. I notice a quiet, slight hum when there is no track playing but I can't detect it when music is playing (obviously)
I got them on Black Friday for $99 and I consider that a steal!
A great addition to my headphone lineup.

how is the 3.5mm cable quality ?

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #125 of 644
Do you guys know where we can get the an extra 3.5mm jack. What would i have to search to
find them or can they not be replaced at all ?

I also recently purchased a pair of mdr-xb950bt headphones and they are the best pair of bt headphones I've ever owned!!

As far as the 3.5mm cable goes the quality is just average and rather thin. The cable also seems a little short for my needs.

As for cable replacement, I've been comparing pictures of the cable of the mdr -10rbt to the Xb950bt. I've observed that the cables are similar in that they both have jacks that are recessed and have a similar slender pieces of plastic on both jacks.

Would be helpful if anyone that has both the 950bt and the 10rbt could confirm that the cables are interchangeable.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #126 of 644
You might have to contact Sony to get a replacement cable as these are so new they may not a skew for them separately. The jack itself is standard, the challenge is getting a 3rd party jack thin enough to fit the hole.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #127 of 644
You might have to contact Sony to get a replacement cable as these are so new they may not a skew for them separately. The jack itself is standard, the challenge is getting a 3rd party jack thin enough to fit the hole.

Do you guys know where we can get the an extra 3.5mm jack. What would i have to search to
find them or can they not be replaced at all ?

I also recently purchased a pair of mdr-xb950bt headphones and they are the best pair of bt headphones I've ever owned!!

As far as the 3.5mm cable goes the quality is just average and rather thin. The cable also seems a little short for my needs.

As for cable replacement, I've been comparing pictures of the cable of the mdr -10rbt to the Xb950bt. I've observed that the cables are similar in that they both have jacks that are recessed and have a similar slender pieces of plastic on both jacks.

Would be helpful if anyone that has both the 950bt and the 10rbt could confirm that the cables are interchangeable.

Thanks wow I should have just bought the headphones for $99 if the MDR10RBT is the same. I missed the deal. Hopefully they go on sale again by Christmas or I will have to pay full price.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #128 of 644
I have both headphones so will check the cables tonight. Sonically speaking the 10RBT and the 950BT do not sound the same. The 950BT has much heavier bass and has less treble than the 10RBT.

I would classify the 950 as a basshead headphone and the 10R as a bass emphasized headphone.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #129 of 644
I just got these in.  Sound really good.  Don't think I'll even bother with the cable.  On a side note anyway to disable the skip function and just use the pause button for podcasts?

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #132 of 644
Wow.... a ton of posts since I posted about the sale! Cool! Glad these things are catching on! 

Still my favorite headphones to date!

For the person asking about how they sound while using the phone. My mom could not tell I was on a headphone, when I was wearing the XB950BTs While with the 10RBT she knew right away when I was walking outside. So the mic is a LOT better with these headphones. Longer battery life too!

Someone mentioned that the 10RBT was a bass enthusiasts headphone. I couldn't disagree more. After getting my XB950BTs I felt like my 10RBTs were lifeless and slightly shrill in comparison. They also lacked the volume and oomph that the XB950BTs had. I sold mine for $110 on ebay. I still think the XB950BTs are ugly though, too much plastic and flat "face". Would have much preferred the tapered look.

I hope Bill posts the mod. I'm really curious what he did to his cans.

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #133 of 644
I suggested the 950 is a basshead headphone and the 10R is a bass emphasized headphone to be precise :). This basically means the 950 has a lot more bass and less treble according to what I am hearing.

I haven't tried the 950 outside on the phone yet, if it is a lot better for talking that would great as my wife has complained about the 10RBT.

I tried to mod the 950 but looking at the way the driver is configured when I opened up the cup I am not sure my mod actually does anything because the driver has a plastic cap over the entire driver that does appear to not be removable so putting in the dynamat inside the cup really shouldn't do anything because the plastic cap on the driver should already be blocking the sound from going anywhere else in the cup. But maybe I will try dynamatting the back of the plastic of the driver and see if that does anything...

Overall I think the 950 is way better built than the 10RBT, the buttons are better designed, it feels way more solid, and depending on needs it may be more isolating but at the expense of comfort due to added hear and a bit more pressure.

My challenge with the 950 is the sound. I am opposite to MrXiro in that I prefer the less bass and increased treble of the 10RBT. But I am liking the thicker sound of the 950 a bit. Right now I am burning in the 950 to see if that will help and trying to mod them as already discussed.

I too am hoping Bill will post some pictures of how he is modding these as well. Hopefully he is doing it completely differently than me.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #134 of 644
I got these yesterday and spent hours listening to it.
It seems to me that the mid/treble sounds terribly hollow. It almost lacks air or something. 
I also own the xb300 and xb700. I hated how the xb700 sounded. So far, call me crazy, but the xb300 still sounds the best to me. Anyone agree??

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #135 of 644
Avantree Saturn Pro Bluetooth Audio Adapter Transmitter and Receiver 2-In-1 with aptX Low Latency Codec, Titanium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LAZ6RTW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_L-2Fub1J81R69

I was thinking of getting an aptx compatible transmitter to get wireless bt to this headset from my TV's line out. Would this pro version with low latency be worth the extra in price or would the standard $34 model work fine? Maybe another recommendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back