Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Nov 27, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #91 of 644
  3) Modding can somewhat fix the slight nasal tonality with vocals, and improve soundstaging ever so slightly. But I have also found that making bass tighter (more accurate) would also mean a decreased bass quantity. This makes sense because the extra bass was just excess ringing. But still, this would be a downside for some, so I thought I'd mention it. The upside to this is that vocals are more forward, yet not necessarily shouty or sibilant, and there is more clarity without adding more treble.

Well, me and my big mouth. I found out how to do it without decreasing bass after all.

Now this headphone just flat out sounds like a better LFF Enigma to me (far less sibilance).

I'll see if I can extract any extra treble by doing any reflection trick with the driver enclosure before releasing the mods.

This headphone honestly sounds... ludicrous after modding. I can't even believe what I'm hearing! It's probably 80% of my HE-560 already, and that extra 20% is for soundstaging and treble clarity, but... really, who am I kidding? This thing is easily less than 14 times the cost of my whole HE-560 setup. And it's WIRELESS!

In fact, talking about which, I have gotten as far as across the street, with 4-5 walls between me and my phone, and the sound coming across from an internet streaming radio is still clean, clear, and uninterrupted.

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #92 of 644
I've got em coming in by your mini-review but now i need to mod it as well. Care to share?
Well, me and my big mouth. I found out how to do it without decreasing bass after all.

Now this headphone just flat out sounds like a better LFF Enigma to me (far less sibilance).

I'll see if I can extract any extra treble by doing any reflection trick with the driver enclosure before releasing the mods.

This headphone honestly sounds... ludicrous after modding. I can't even believe what I'm hearing! It's probably 80% of my HE-560 already, and that extra 20% is for soundstaging and treble clarity, but... really, who am I kidding? This thing is easily less than 14 times the cost of my whole HE-560 setup. And it's WIRELESS!

In fact, talking about which, I have gotten as far as across the street, with 4-5 walls between me and my phone, and the sound coming across from an internet streaming radio is still clean, clear, and uninterrupted.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #93 of 644
I've got em coming in by your mini-review but now i need to mod it as well. Care to share?

Well, I'd say... review it before you mod it, and then you'll get to appreciate all that it can do.

The mod is really simple. Get some dynamat, and anywhere where there is a big plastic space, you just slap a piece of dynamat on it.

If I ever post detailed instructions, it'll mostly be on how to dissect the headphone.

There is also a way to improve sub bass response in bluetooth mode, but I'll have to experiment around with it for a bit longer before I post instructions on that. Plus that one will be a more elaborate mod than the dynamat one since I don't think there's any way around it other than direct intervention with the amplifier circuitry inside...

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #95 of 644

Well, I'd say... review it before you mod it, and then you'll get to appreciate all that it can do.

The mod is really simple. Get some dynamat, and anywhere where there is a big plastic space, you just slap a piece of dynamat on it.

If I ever post detailed instructions, it'll mostly be on how to dissect the headphone.

There is also a way to improve sub bass response in bluetooth mode, but I'll have to experiment around with it for a bit longer before I post instructions on that. Plus that one will be a more elaborate mod than the dynamat one since I don't think there's any way around it other than direct intervention with the amplifier circuitry inside...

They'll come in next Tuesday for me. I'll give them a listen intially then a 72hr burn-in. After that I will most likely open them up as I enjoy a controlled bass (even if it's almost elevated to bass-head levels). The bluetooth and quality is really what I'm after and after seeing the display at BestBuy (they were sold out at the sale price) I can say they're definitely built very well.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #97 of 644
How do these sound compare to the logitec ue 9000? The ue 9000 have very sweet bass for electronic music that I listen to. I'm hoping these might be better for less money, was looking into the Sony mdr 1r bt mk2. I played with sony mdr10bt for a day, took them back bass didn't go deep enough, I also had the phiaton ms,sounded really good, but just not loud enough.

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #98 of 644
How do these sound compare to the logitec ue 9000? The ue 9000 have very sweet bass for electronic music that I listen to. I'm hoping these might be better for less money, was looking into the Sony mdr 1r bt mk2. I played with sony mdr10bt for a day, took them back bass didn't go deep enough, I also had the phiaton ms,sounded really good, but just not loud enough.
get the sony pulse , is the king of sub bass trust me , the bass impact will shake your head so bad is almost unbelivable , v moda m100 is a joke in comparison

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #99 of 644
  They'll come in next Tuesday for me. I'll give them a listen intially then a 72hr burn-in. After that I will most likely open them up as I enjoy a controlled bass (even if it's almost elevated to bass-head levels). The bluetooth and quality is really what I'm after and after seeing the display at BestBuy (they were sold out at the sale price) I can say they're definitely built very well.

This isn't really a basshead headphone in my opinions. Its actual bass quantity is probably somewhere between neutral and a bit shy if you were to actually graph it out. I think it just has a lot of bass sustain, so bass lingers after every hit.

Impact is not particularly weighty, nor is sub bass anything to cry about. Or maybe I'm just too spoiled by my HE-560, but sometimes it sounds like there should be some extra rumble with certain tracks that I know very well.

Can anyone report on the quality of voice calls over this set? I'm lookin for a good bluetooth headset to listen to music and take calls from my home office on.

Call quality is pretty okay. Voices can be a bit more muffled/nasal than usual even after modding because this headphone doesn't seem to have a lot of upper midrange. But that means reduced listening fatigue... so...

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #100 of 644
get the sony pulse , is the king of sub bass trust me , the bass impact will shake your head so bad is almost unbelivable , v moda m100 is a joke in comparison

I had the pulse elites, they were fun but heavy, battery life not so great. I still would like to know between the mdr1r1 bt mk2 and the xbr950bt who has better bass? I loved my ue9000 for that reason and prior to that my vmoda m100 were my go to.i guess I like that fun energetic sound but still warm.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #101 of 644
According to Amazon these have aptx which I have on all my phones and tablets as well as my bluetooth dongles so I can use any headphone I want that. Personally I notice a difference in the way my headphones sound(not these because I haven't ordered them yet). When I connect to a non-aptx device there is a big difference keeping everything else the same. My question is, how many of the people are using them with an aptX source to truly hear how they are supposed to sound. Maybe the people that liked them less didn't. It would be nice if previous reviewers can repost their review if they had an aptX source. Future reviewers should state if they are using an aptX source or not. Thanks.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #102 of 644
I had the pulse elites, they were fun but heavy, battery life not so great. I still would like to know between the mdr1r1 bt mk2 and the xbr950bt who has better bass? I loved my ue9000 for that reason and prior to that my vmoda m100 were my go to.i guess I like that fun energetic sound but still warm.

I have both the mdr1rbtmk2 and 950bt. The mdr1rbtmk2 have better mids and highs. Bass is accurate but isn't strong enough for hip hop or edm. I love the opened sound of the mk2, the 950bt are not as open. Wish the mk2 had more bass. I use them for jazz music or music at low volume levels. I been using the 950bt much more then the mk2 since I purchased them. If the Mk2 had a bass button they would be AWESOME. You won't be disappointed with the 950bt. Sound comes close very close to the mk2.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #103 of 644
According to Amazon these have aptx which I have on all my phones and tablets as well as my bluetooth dongles so I can use any headphone I want that. Personally I notice a difference in the way my headphones sound(not these because I haven't ordered them yet). When I connect to a non-aptx device there is a big difference keeping everything else the same. My question is, how many of the people are using them with an aptX source to truly hear how they are supposed to sound. Maybe the people that liked them less didn't. It would be nice if previous reviewers can repost their review if they had an aptX source. Future reviewers should state if they are using an aptX source or not. Thanks.

I have Note 3 and Tab S both have Aptx. Both sound really good (crisp, clear and I do hear sounds I didn't realize were there before).

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #104 of 644
Thats good news, I really like thick juicy bass, I'm in best buy right now picking them up! Lol! I hope they are at least the level of the logitec ue 9000.

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #105 of 644

I would love details on how to dissemble the headphone to do this mod. I have some dynamat here at home and would love to see if I can improve the bass from stock. I am currently burning my pair in before I do an A/B shootout between them and the MDR10RBT. For the price I paid I think these would be a fun modder headphone and if I can get them to sound as good as the 10R or better I will be ecstatic as I love their build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back