Sony MDR xb1000? NEw? OMG
Jan 26, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #211 of 505

Quote:
Traditionally "XB Series", width characteristic vibration of the diaphragm, pressure-resistant performance while ensuring, by significantly improving the mobility of the diaphragm to achieve the scale and realism play bass.

Google translate works as good as usual but sounds like they might have improved the mobility of the diagram so it moves more with the bass like a subwoofer. :p

Quote:
Closed (open back) Dynamic (type earpiece)

Sounds like it still have the bassports at back which is a requirement to get the bass XB series have.

106dB sensitivity and 24 ohm for a 70mm driver, that's... interesting. I think it will probably benefit significantly by amping still though.

They seem to be proud of the XB1000 to have it already set as a picture representing headphones category in products category selection. :p

Oh and there's even an own site for the XB series now which japanese sony site hasn't had before http://www.sony.jp/headphone/special/xb/lineup/index.html

Here's the product page with google translate http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-XB1000/index.html

Nice with 2m cord length now too.

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #212 of 505
Considering that the 62k yen ($735) of the MDR Z1000 ended up at around $500 online, I expect the 30k yen xb1000 to be found at slighty more than $200.

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #213 of 505

Quote:
Considering that the 62k yen ($735) of the MDR Z1000 ended up at around $500 online, I expect the 30k yen xb1000 to be found at slighty more than $200.

Yea same altough I'd expect maybe $249 / 200 EUR or so perhaps at launch. Then it would be competiting with the Denon D2000 even (very tough competitor :p), hopefully it's worth the pricetag. I'm sure it'll drop as times passes by like XB500/700 price has been cut in near half over time. Sony store still lists XB700 for $129 MSRP. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #214 of 505
The prices of some key Japanese goods have been walloped a bit as of late.

Look at the MSRP for the 2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 ($9400), now look at the MSRP for the 2011 Suzuki GSX-R600 ($11,600).

That is a 7.3% average annual increase in price. 23.4% in three years, 30.3% in four years.
------------------------------------------------
I'm not that surprised by the low impedance and high sensitivity. I mean, it has over THREE TIMES the radiating area that my Shure 840s have. When I was a boy my father was big into hi-fi. He had massive speakers by Klipsch and by Altec-Lansing (each the size of a dresser) that could be driven loudly by miniscule amps.

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #215 of 505
Darn... I can't buy headphones for 375$... I was actually excited it was worth LESS than the xb700
Oh well... any good headphones for bass under 150$ ?
Kinda feels weird buying the xb700s now with the xb1000 coming out soon...

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #216 of 505
^Wait for a while and get a XB1000 used. For some reason i think its bass will be dominating. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #217 of 505
what a price change!
frown.gif
I hope this is a mistake and it turns out to be $150 tops. For that kind of money I would go for a Denon. The xb series is suppossed to be a mass consumer product I think, going expensive is not good for Sony IMO. those headphones are no fashion statement for sure, I don't think anyone would be sporting them for style but who knows
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #218 of 505

Quote:
But I understand it is still fun and improves some things. If you have a balanced amp, why not for a few bucks and some laughs? Once I get a balanced amp, I am going to balance my Koss KSC35 clip-ons after I mod them extensively. Try to stop me! ;P 

This is head-fi. If you get something you like, you should maximize that special something, IMO, even if it is not strictly "worth it." High end audio (at least the headphone side) has pretty bad return on investment. This is not crazy at all when you see the things people do, like spend huge amounts on interconnects, as you mentioned. 

Haven't read the whole thread so pardon if I repeat someone. One of the main benefits of balancing is tighter bass. Something that extends really low can benefit from a tightened bass. I felt tempted to buy an xb700 and balancing it to see just how good the bass would be, and I had little doubts that it would have superior bass to my pro 900 if given the right upstream gear. I never did though, main reason was when I demoed it at walmart I had a nosebleed. I don't get nosebleeds often, usually from too much physical exertion... er.

People seem turned off by this headphone, but I think sony made a product in the perfect price range. It most likely will crush any skullcandy headphones, and by word of mouth it will likely take a chunk out of sales of dr dre and skullcandy headphones, which, at the end of the day, should be every conscientious audiophiles' dream :).

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #219 of 505
Quote:
People seem turned off by this headphone, but I think sony made a product in the perfect price range. It most likely will crush any skullcandy headphones, and by word of mouth it will likely take a chunk out of sales of dr dre and skullcandy headphones, which, at the end of the day, should be every conscientious audiophiles' dream :).

Ha, you have clearly never heard how powerful the untamed and wild bass of a pair of skullcandy skullcrusher is.

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #220 of 505
Talking about Skullcrushers, for those who didn't check headphone.com's frequency response chart on the skullcrushers....

LOL holy rollercoaster batman! Sony may have big boost in the lows but the rest of the frequency range makes much more sense too. :)

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #222 of 505
If they are really going to be sold at that price then it may bode well for the sound quality.  At that price I won't be rushing out to buy them sight unseen/sound unheard though.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #223 of 505

Quote:
Quote:

Ha, you have clearly never heard how powerful the untamed and wild bass of a pair of skullcandy skullcrusher is.

Skullcandies emphasize just midbass for a (sort of) pleasant booming droning, they don't use good enough drivers to do real sub-bass or give bass definition beyond a repetitive boom.

I would remind people that a few studies suggest that too much bass may not be all that healthy for your brain :p. I have felt tempted to test the xb700 on animals but figured it was inhumane to test on animals for the benefit of the usual teenage consumer who likely wouldn't even care if told it was not that healthy. I may disapprove of bass headphones, but Sony is certainly the lesser of two evils when it comes to headphones with bass boost. I'd say dr dre and skullcandy are 90% marketing 10% product, whereas sony is ~20% marketing with at least 40% in r&d+product.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #224 of 505

Quote:
Quote:

I had the Skullcrushers, and the sound is not pretty. You have the most bloated bass imaginable, which was fun. But there were terrible problems like distorting and crackling even in simple songs, and a total lack of clarity. The bass is not that great at all. It hardly goes below 50-60hz, which is horrible for a bass headphone. I could not groove to songs with really low bass, because there was none audible in the headphone. Finally, the bass would make certain songs unlistenable because the bass would pick up on some bass that was supposed to be low in the mix and emphasize it. Almost all you would hear on Linkin Park's Session, for example, was a BLEEEHHHHHHH or OOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM almost the whole time. 

I did had fun with the Skullcrushers. They actually broke in a few months, which I am grateful now, and Skullcandy honored their warranty and sent me a new pair, which I promptly sold on Ebay and bought some IEMs which actually sounded a lot like music. I have tried the Sony XB500s, and with a little EQ you can get the Skullcrusher sound. With a lot of EQ, you can get a decent sounding headphone with really good bass. They actually did not have enough low bass for me, so if I get an XB headphone, it will be the 700s. 

I hope this helps put things into perspective here. I am not flaming you, just relating my experience. Skullcandy is apparently coming out with better products now, some of which are bound to satisfy bass junkies in this thread. Their new price points concern me, however. We will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back