sony mdr x500 vs Monster - Beats by Dr.Dre whats better?
Aug 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gordesky1

New Head-Fier
Theres a deal for the beats by dr dre on newegg for 350$ but you get a zune hd 16gb free, at first i thought it was a good deal sense i do need a new mp3 player sense my old 30gb first gen zune hdd died, And my ipod touch 2g battery is on its way out.

Than for around the same price i can get the sonys mdr x500 which is 79$ at my local best buy and than a zune hd 32gb at my local walmart for 230, so the price would be aorund the same.

And im wondering how is the sony mdr x500 vs the beats studios?

They mainly gona be powerd from my zune hd , and maybe on my computer in games sometimes.

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for that thread:) Had a good read on it.  And next day went and got the xb500s with the zune 32gb at bestbuy.

They also had the beats studios there too and had a listen too both of them and well the studios sounded pretty good but the sonys has more bass punch too it but not over welming as i thought But ya the studios are over price for being over 300+ because the sonys sound just as good or even better, And much more comfortable lol

I could keep theses on all day and it seems like they not even on my head and they really light they look heavy by pics lol

But ya so far im liking them had them for about 2 days and i cant keep them off my head lol

(..also is there a break period  i should do for them?...)

Oh i also might get a small portable amp for it later on sense it seems like the zune hd is not powering them 100% Because when i hook them up too my desktop sound blaster 7.1 card which is pretty much a cheepy, It was like 2 times louder, But it still sounds really good on the zune hd.

Is there any small cheep amps you would recommend? pretty much under 50$, i was looking at this one   fiio E5 which i saw at amazon for 22$ but not sure if its good or not but reviews are good on it.

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 10
I would go through the FS/T forums and look for a cheap CMOY build (or maybe build it yourself if you want to experiment with some DIY). Also, check ebay for some CMOYs They're about the cheapest OK amp to get (from what I hear).

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #6 of 10
Hmm ya i saw couple of thoes cmoys amps on ebay, But you had too build them your self which im not very good with sodering or have the right sodering iron for that small of stuff.. But i see if i could find a aready built one.

But if i cant how is the one i listed? heres the link http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001P9EQH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280920279&sr=8-1 

Oh also what about the break in period? I herd leaving them  playing music threw them right threw for 50hours or so.

ya ony thing about the iltrasones is the price which is over 100$ and the wire is too long for me for portable use. The xb500s wire is just right and i really like how the wire is flat so far it didint tangle or get caught on anything like my earbuds allways did.. Thats the last time im using earbuds.. underpowerd and they break easy and not conformable...

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 10
Congratulations on you new headphones! I think you made the right decision, one that your wallet likes as well.

About the break in, If you've been using them for about 50hrs, I would say that is enough for those. By enough, I'm not saying they will 'improve' more later, I'm just saying about 40hrs is standard for many kinds of headphones. Just keep using them like you normally do, because the best thing is to just keep putting time through them.

Remember, if the bass is too much at a flat EQ, which it usually is for me, you can always bump up the mids, so the vocals clear up. These phones are highly EQ(able), so you are able to make many different sound signatures just by trying different EQ settings.

Quote:
wind016 said:

Ultrasone HFI 580 are better

And they're 3x as much...

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 10
I wish we could have told you earlier to get something like Audio Technica M-50's or AD700's. And even if you didn't want to go with those, and wanted the XB700's you could have got them on Amazon for $30. Anyways be happy with your purchase as I know you will enjoy them. 

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I wish we could have told you earlier to get something like Audio Technica M-50's or AD700's. And even if you didn't want to go with those, and wanted the XB700's you could have got them on Amazon for $30. Anyways be happy with your purchase as I know you will enjoy them. 

Guess its a little too late...
Anyways, enjoy your headphones and when you decide to upgrade, let us know! 

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 10
I problee have like under 5hours into them heck problee under 3 hours lol

For the  audio technica m-50 or the ad700s isint the wire over 5 foot big on thoses? I really like the wire on the sonys because they just the right size under 4foot and seems too not tangle.

Hmm i couldint find the xb700s on amazon for 30$, ony for  76$, But they also a bit too big too wear on the go, The xb500s are pretty big already but do able lol

But ya im pretty happy with them:)

(Anyways, enjoy your headphones and when you  decide to upgrade, let us know! )

Will do!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back