Sony MDR-V700DJ vs. Sennheiser HD-590
Nov 7, 2002 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Pace

100+ Head-Fier
My friend has told me that those are the best headphones available, and I was thinking that are they really better than Sennheiser HD-590's.

Nov 7, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 32
...umm...here's what i said in another post about someone asking about the same hp:

Quote:

before you ask more about the sony 700 crapphones and hell breaks loose, just search this forum. you can find a number of threads

that should give you an idea. so do some research and see for yourself..

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 32
I don't think the 700's are worthy enough to be in the same sentence as the hd590's.....
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 32
I second kinetix's advice

Soundwise... the 590's have the v700's beaten by a wide margin. The v700's look kinda cool though, if you're into that techy-dj look.

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 32
Have mercy on a newbie...
biggrin.gif

I did a search, but weren't satisfied with the results... there really wasn't too much head to head comparison between the two.

Okay, now it's proven; my friend appears to know nothing of headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 32
Theyy arent the best around but they are nowhere near as bad as they are made out to be by some people on this board. I just got rid of a MDRV700DJ and I now use the MDR-7509 on a daily basis. (they have the same speakers and to me sound the same) They sound great out of my minidiscs without needing an amplifier, and with my 'portable' amp being larger than many pizzas this is an advantage. It also sound good out of the mixer. I wouldnt say they're bad, just different.

Nov 7, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 32
yeah, but they are horribly, horribly, horribly overpriced. if you really do love bass and isolation, your best option could be the beyerdynamic dt-770s. these are rated as the king of bass phones, and totally crush those sony's in every aspect. plus, they can even be had for less than what the sony's sell for ($140 shipped at meier-audio!!!).

Nov 7, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by kin3tix
yeah, but they are horribly, horribly, horribly overpriced. if you really do love bass and isolation, your best option could be the beyerdynamic dt-770s. these are rated as the king of bass phones, and totally crush those sony's in every aspect. plus, they can even be had for less than what the sony's sell for ($140 shipped at meier-audio!!!).

Unfortunately, there are people who want big, closed headphones for use on unamped portables - and those particular Beyers are a poor match for such units, since they require an amp. Not to mention that the don't fold up for easy portability.

Going back to the V700DJ vs. HD590 debate:
The V700DJ has big, boomy mid-bass with strangely little low-bass extension, and lacks detail across the audible spectrum. The HD590 has fairly tight bass and slightly bright highs - maybe a bit too bright with contemporary recordings (many of which are crap to begin with).

Nov 7, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Unfortunately, there are people who want big, closed headphones for use on unamped portables - and those particular Beyers are a poor match for such units, since they require an amp. Not to mention that the don't fold up for easy portability.

Going back to the V700DJ vs. HD590 debate:
The V700DJ has big, boomy mid-bass with strangely little low-bass extension, and lacks detail across the audible spectrum. The HD590 has fairly tight bass and slightly bright highs - maybe a bit too bright with contemporary recordings (many of which are crap to begin with).

Wrong! The V700's resolve nearly as deep as, if not as deep as, the HD280 as far as the ear is concerned. Surprised? I was... After reading Eagle_Driver's mantras for so long, even I was beginning to think so. But no.

The lack of detail is also subjective... Put it next to a Beyer DT250-80 (as I could, and you probably didn't) - a much more expensive phone - and you won't be so sure, although it definitely sounds a little scratchier.

The balooned midbass is disconcerting with some music - but definitely not for most of what I listen to.

Bottom line. I had the V700 (and will have it back again soon) alongside the HD280, the DT250 and numerous other headphones that don't have the unjustified rep here like the V700's. How many of you auditioned the V700's for extended periods alongside the other lauded phones here? None, I'll bet...

Nov 8, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 32
Getting your v700's back magicthyse? what'd you have to do? i hope it didn't involve anything too abrupt...

but magic, how do the v700's compare against the hd590's? i value your opinion very much when it comes to the v700's because i know you have extensive listening with them and also with other quality phones (that is, of course, with a grain of salt -- of course we are all biased about our headphones in one way or another).

Nov 8, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 32
I've enacted many great evils in my long life on this earth. Many times have great evils been brought upon me as consequence or as retribution for those I have done. And never have I ever been made to endure the torture of listening to V700s for extended periods. I guess you have me beat.

Nov 8, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 32
Well, Magicthyse has never owned - or heard - the HD590's.
tongue.gif
In fact, he actually uses the HD600 in his home rig right now, along with the Grado RS-1. And yeah, I'd expect Magicthyse to say that the V700DJ 'sucks' in comparison to the HD600 or the RS-1. But 'sucks' may be the wrong word to use here. You're really comparing apples and oranges when you compare a $150 closed headphone and a $450-$700 open headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back