Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones review
Oct 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

roksraka

New Head-Fier
Before you read any further, I must warn you, this is not a professional review. This is being written by a 15 year-old boy. And I'm from Slovenia, so please forgive my grammar mistakes.

First, some basic facts about these headphones.
- dynamic, closed
- 50 mm drivers
- coiled 1- 3 m cable, which connects only to the left ear-cup
- 1/8 inch gold plated connector with a screw-on 1/4 inch adaptor (also gold plated)
- supra-aural

I got these headphones yesterday, and a like them A LOT! They have a powerful bass, but still the highs, lows etc. are in perfect balance. The sound is very full. They isolate sound really well! They are a bit tight on the head and also the ears, but that's not such a problem - they are still quite comfortable. Slightly overpriced - probably not the best headphones for the money. They do seem slightly fragile though...

PROS:
- great sound
- comfortable (although a little tight on the head and ears)
- great isolation
- cable connects to only one ear-cup
- carrying pouch included
- foldable
- design - not the best looking headphones on the market, but still very nice

CONS:
- price - 140 euros (in Slovenia)... a bit overpriced (but still worth the money)
- quality - I only have them for 2 days, so they aren't broken yet. But they look slightly fragile...
- weight - 300g is quite a load...
- the padding is quite thin, resulting in pressure on ears as well as on the head

CONCLUSION:
I'm really satisfied with these headphones, thus I recommend these to everybody. But they are not suited for all kinds of music. As they are DJ headphones, their performance is best with electronic, hip-hop and bass-heavy music. Still performs well with rock music.

If you have any question, feel free to leave a reply. =)

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 12
i definitely am!
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

This is being written by a 15 year-old boy. And I'm from Slovenia, so please forgive my grammar mistakes

Your English is excellent for a 15 year boy old from Slovenia, great review!

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 12
I have one and I love it to death since it's my first professional headset and I don't about the fragile part. Sure they feel kinda cheap, but I always find myself treating it badly yet it is still in good shape.

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 12
I had these back in high school and loved em. A friend had them as well. We both loved the bass they had. I liked that the cups could flip outward. What neither one of us liked is the fact that both of our phones broke right around a year of use. The plastic pivot joints just didn't hold up very well. If those joints were of better quality I'm sure I would still have them today. Also, your English is perfectly fine. I hope you continue to enjoy your phones.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I had these back in high school and loved em. A friend had them as well. We both loved the bass they had. I liked that the cups could flip outward. What neither one of us liked is the fact that both of our phones broke right around a year of use. The plastic pivot joints just didn't hold up very well. If those joints were of better quality I'm sure I would still have them today. Also, your English is perfectly fine. I hope you continue to enjoy your phones.

Yea I heard a lot abut the pivot joints breaking for the v700s. I think it's one of the major problems that the headphones have even though it hasn't happen to me yet.

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 12
Damn, hadn't thought about these headphones in a good bit. The headphones I do think of when I listen to underground breakbeat DJs. I, too, had these when I was in high school, after testing my friend's pair, who was a DJ. I immediately fell in love with the bass--it was so damn fun to listen to, and probably was the catalyst for charging me onto the path of audiophilia/headphonia. Before that, I only listened to music with the EQ running ear-piercingly hot on the treble. These phones brought in the fun factor of bass for me. This was probably six or seven years ago. Now, the EQ of all the components in my system remains untouched in the middle. Since reading this thread, I'm thinking of picking up a pair just for the fun of it. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 12
I've  had a pair for two years now, recently running with an E11 the cans seriously start shaking quite heavily at mod/high volumes on some tracks, not just the speaker 'the whole assembly'  I used  this very pair of V700's for long  listening sessions sometimes 12 hours (yes that long) they simply soak it up without question! Using the low gain switch I can turn my E11 past 6.5 happily with plenty of juice on stand by, they simply won't distort easily. I'm not game to go any higher. I'm pretty sure this is NOT healthy for ones ears you would try this at your own risk. They're the kind of headphone that scream for high volume for their own personal punishing  pleasure. I have found the highs lack a little at low volumes, which gives me more reason to turn them up louder. I'm not sure how loud they will actually go but one day I'm going to find out. Really great for a buzz! 
atsmile.gif

The build quality:  They are somewhat fragile especially around the hinges, that's where you'll have problems, also the pads become very stiff if stored for sometime. You can find replacement pads on ebay cheap enough, apart from those minor problems I've not had any bad luck with them. They're there to be punished!

Nice review dude - made me give my V700's a good tearing with some dubstep.

Cheers! 

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
I've  had a pair for two years now, recently running with an E11 the cans seriously start shaking quite heavily at mod/high volumes on some tracks, not just the speaker 'the whole assembly'  I used  this very pair of V700's for long  listening sessions sometimes 12 hours (yes that long) they simply soak it up without question! Using the low gain switch I can turn my E11 past 6.5 happily with plenty of juice on stand by, they simply won't distort easily. I'm not game to go any higher. I'm pretty sure this is NOT healthy for ones ears you would try this at your own risk. They're the kind of headphone that scream for high volume for their own personal punishing  pleasure. I have found the highs lack a little at low volumes, which gives me more reason to turn them up louder. I'm not sure how loud they will actually go but one day I'm going to find out. Really great for a buzz! 
atsmile.gif

The build quality:  They are somewhat fragile especially around the hinges, that's where you'll have problems, also the pads become very stiff if stored for sometime. You can find replacement pads on ebay cheap enough, apart from those minor problems I've not had any bad luck with them. They're there to be punished!

Nice review dude - made me give my V700's a good tearing with some dubstep.

Cheers! 

I run my v700s with the FiiO E11 too 
beerchug.gif
 and yes the headphones do shake a lot more then without it, especially with the EQ at 2. Also I listened to the headphones at the highest volume and not only does it hurt your head, but you can hear your ears getting damaged. What pads did you use to replace the original one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back