Sony MDR-V600 - Thoughts and General Info???
Jul 8, 2018 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

AriGibson

Head-Fier
Hi!

So these headphones popped up on Craigslist for $40. Online it looks like they go for $895 (Amazon, CNET), but eBay has them used for $60 and lots of Newegg and audioreview reviewers say they got them for $100. They must be the least documented headphones ever, I can't seem to find a single good review or anything.

Obviously, I just care about price to see if I'm actually getting an amazing pair of cans for the price. I would go try them myself, but I'm out of town for the next month and I don't know the sellers flexibility.

Does anyone know the actually price or have experience with these?

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 29
Not familiar with them, but a quick Google search turns up many negative reviews. Personally, I'd pass.
Thanks for the reply! That sounds like a smart idea... I did see some of the negative reviews, but that's factoring in price. If they're 2 star headphones at $900, then I'd say 4.5 star at $40.

Anyway, I can make a new post for this topic, but have you used Sennheiser's Momentum 2.0, HD 650, or HD 598? Any thoughts on those? I mean I know that HD 650 are pretty great, but I wanted to see how those stack up to the other options. Thanks!

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 29
I did a little bit of digging...it seems like they were intended to be a replacement/successor to the V6/7506 line...maybe? But they look cheaply built, whereas the 7506 are built like a tank.
All things considered, I'd probably pass....if nothing else because they have a funky cup shape and so replacement pads won't be easily had.

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 29
I did a little bit of digging...it seems like they were intended to be a replacement/successor to the V6/7506 line...maybe? But they look cheaply built, whereas the 7506 are built like a tank.
All things considered, I'd probably pass....if nothing else because they have a funky cup shape and so replacement pads won't be easily had.
Yeah, I saw the V6 and V7506 results pop up too. I think I'll skip it. Here are some other options. Leaving out prices. Same question for you, have you used Sennheiser's Momentum 2.0, HD 650, or HD 598?

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 29
Yeah, I saw the V6 and V7506 results pop up too. I think I'll. skip it. Here are some other options. Leaving out prices. Same question for you, have you used Sennheiser's Momentum 2.0, HD 650, or HD 598?
I haven't had any experience with those unfortunately....of the bunch the HD650 is clearly the best, most talked about and respected etc. If you can get them for less than $200 it's a good deal. I think the Momentum line looks cool, but it's a closed back and not my preferred sound signature...598 ...not a fan of the Ivory and brown, never considered them for that reason alone.

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 29
I haven't had any experience with those unfortunately....of the bunch the HD650 is clearly the best, most talked about and respected etc. If you can get them for less than $200 it's a good deal. I think the Momentum line looks cool, but it's a closed back and not my preferred sound signature...598 ...not a fan of the Ivory and brown, never considered them for that reason alone.

Well, price time. Had found everything I ever wanted earlier on Craigslist. HD 650 and originally $275 FiiO E18 Kunlan Portable DAC AMP Combo for $130! Until, after the deal was completely worked out and confirmed, the seller's main pair of headphones broke and they needed the HD 650 as backup. Today I found the HD 589 for $40. I'm happy with it, but I was just hoping for something with a little more sound quality, even if the price was significantly worse. I mean, the HD 589 and E18 would still likely put me over $100. Super annoyed at that whole situation...

The Momentums were like $150 I think. Nice, but not what I'm looking for. They're Bluetooth, noise cancelling, foldable, etc. I already have a pair of decent ($70) Samson Z35 for portable use, and I was looking for a nice, open-backed hi-fi experience at home. Well, the search continues. Thanks for the input!

And yeah, I'm not a fan of the ivory version either. Couldn't care less though, they're probably never leaving my headphone stand.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 29
are you saying you got an HD650 plus a fiio E18 for $130?

Edit.
I went back and re-read, the deal fell through, that's a bummer...but an 598 for $40 is still a good deal.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 29
Can't speak to the other 'phones, but I have the HD 650 and they are very good headphones. A very warm, inviting sound. Compared to other headphones in their MSRP bracket, maybe not the last word in detail or dynamics, but in my opinion this is really splitting hairs. If they're your first pair of HiFi cans, I think you'll find in general they're a very competent all-rounder. But if you listen to a lot of aggressive rock they may not suit your needs. They do require some amping, but that E18 is probably enough to get you started.
Too bad the seller reneged on their offer. Ask them to keep you in mind if they decide to sell. That is an absolutely stellar price (assuming they're in fair condition, of course).

It looks like the MDR-V600 originally retailed for about $100, but are out of production. For some reason sellers on Amazon take this as license to mark things up to whatever price they want. I can't imagine anybody is fooled by that, but it keeps happening, so maybe I'm wrong. From a little bit of reading it looks like the V600 was a re-tuning of the V6/7506 as a DJ headphone, not necessarily as a replacement.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 29
Yes, I kind of figured your last deal may have been too good to be true.

Enjoy whatever you get. Keep your head up. Stuff falls from the sky at times.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 29
are you saying you got an HD650 plus a fiio E18 for $130?

Edit.
I went back and re-read, the deal fell through, that's a bummer...but an 598 for $40 is still a good deal.
Yeah... not going to pretend that I'm not super disappointed. I was out of town, and he agreed to put it on hold and everything... To add to my frustration, earlier he said he'd sell the E18 for just $50. Now he's saying $75.

Can't speak to the other 'phones, but I have the HD 650 and they are very good headphones. A very warm, inviting sound. Compared to other headphones in their MSRP bracket, maybe not the last word in detail or dynamics, but in my opinion this is really splitting hairs. If they're your first pair of HiFi cans, I think you'll find in general they're a very competent all-rounder. But if you listen to a lot of aggressive rock they may not suit your needs. They do require some amping, but that E18 is probably enough to get you started.
Too bad the seller reneged on their offer. Ask them to keep you in mind if they decide to sell. That is an absolutely stellar price (assuming they're in fair condition, of course).

It looks like the MDR-V600 originally retailed for about $100, but are out of production. For some reason sellers on Amazon take this as license to mark things up to whatever price they want. I can't imagine anybody is fooled by that, but it keeps happening, so maybe I'm wrong. From a little bit of reading it looks like the V600 was a re-tuning of the V6/7506 as a DJ headphone, not necessarily as a replacement.

Mostly hip hop and rap, so the sound signature would be great... I've heard so much good about Massdrop's Sennheiser/AKG partnerships, but I don't know budget-wise. The HD6XX would be amazing, but I just don't know if I want to spend that much. I Craiglist/eBay auction everything these days, so it feels really weird to pay that much for cans. I paid $200 (same price as HD6XX) for my $1300+ PC and $30 my 75 Hz monitors. Same story for the AKG K7XX. As far as the HD 58X Jubilee ($100), I'm really looking for something less entry level than that. And, I'd much rather pay even $100 for the HD 589.

Yes, I kind of figured your last deal may have been too good to be true.

Enjoy whatever you get. Keep your head up. Stuff falls from the sky at times.

Oh hey! :blush::stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, it was a little too good to be true. Expect it was true... not like I was being scammed or something.
Well, I've never been looking out for deals more. I get email notifications any time anyone posts something on Craigslist with "headphones" in it. I've been filtering through ~800 post on CL for Beats, cheap earbuds, and no name brands to get to the high quality stuff. None of the prices match up though. The HD 650 package was once-in-a-lifetime :sob:

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 29
Yeah, I understand. Headphones definitely get expensive, and it seems like they're just getting more expensive, unfortunately. Before I bought my HD 650, I thought anything above about $150 -$200 was outlandish. In a way, I still do. It's astonishing to me that so many people are willing to drop more than a grand on a pair of headphones, seemingly without even thinking twice about it.

Regarding searching CL, do you know about their search operators? They can really help with filtering out the stuff you don't want and finding the stuff you do. You can also combine some of the tricks shown on that page, for instance:
Code:
( headphon* | "head phon*" )( sennheiser | b*yerdynamic) -beats
would turn up results for ["headphone" / "headphones" OR "head phone" / "head phones"] AND ["sennheiser" OR "beyerdynamic" / any misspelling where the second letter is incorrect (E.G., "bayerdynamic")] but EXCLUDING "beats."

Jul 15, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 29
Yeah, I understand. Headphones definitely get expensive, and it seems like they're just getting more expensive, unfortunately. Before I bought my HD 650, I thought anything above about $150 -$200 was outlandish. In a way, I still do. It's astonishing to me that so many people are willing to drop more than a grand on a pair of headphones, seemingly without even thinking twice about it.

Regarding searching CL, do you know about their search operators? They can really help with filtering out the stuff you don't want and finding the stuff you do. You can also combine some of the tricks shown on that page, for instance:
Code:
( headphon* | "head phon*" )( sennheiser | b*yerdynamic) -beats
would turn up results for ["headphone" / "headphones" OR "head phone" / "head phones"] AND ["sennheiser" OR "beyerdynamic" / any misspelling where the second letter is incorrect (E.G., "bayerdynamic")] but EXCLUDING "beats."

Sorry for the late response...

That's a thing??? Wow! That's amazing. Had no clue. Well, I'll never give up searching now. Previously, I would go brand-by-brand searching for things. Now I can just either exclude "beats" and "earbuds" and search for Sennheiser, AKG, Sony, Shure, Beyerdynamic, etc. all at the same time. Honestly blanking on other good (common) audiophile brands. Any others you can think of that are worth searching?

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #15 of 29
Oppo, Fostex, Audeze, HiFiMan, Mr. Speakers, Campfire... Just look around the forums for different names! I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of.

Yeah, those search operators are a life changer for CL. They can make hunting downright addictive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back