Sony MDR-V6
May 25, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 9
If the velour pads take the top edge down on the Sonys, then they are worth it. Is that why you will be changing the pads?

My experience of the V6 (and 7506) is that they are very top focused and shrill.

May 25, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 9
Oh, I see. Sorry, I thought that perhaps you were looking to tame the highs by changing the pads. I'd love to pull that top end down a bit and if the velours did it, I would definitely change - it's just finding out what they'd do I guess.

The standard pads are quite fiddly to get back on again since they fit into a groove on the V6 so I don't really want another battle with them if other pads didn't work out.

I did try some velours a while back - not sure what make. The sound went incredibly thin so I went straight back to standards again and so had this mini battle getting the old pads back on!!

May 25, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 9
I would personally stay stock for a while until you get a 'feel' for their sound. If you're unhappy with it, then move over to the DT250 pads, I guess.

I'm not certain that the pads will really improve them, unless you just want to change for comfort.

The DT250 pads will take the drivers further away from your ears so I am wondering what they do to the bass.

Thing is, you don't want to change a headphone unless you don't like the sound really. It might be an idea to stick with stock for a little while and then, at least you'll notice any changes of sound with new pads.

May 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
So what is the difference between the Sony MDR-V6 and the MDR-7506?

It's not anything large. They are both very close in sound imo. I think perhaps the V6 is a tad smoother, but it's tiny. I'm not sure, but I think they have same drivers - makes you wonder why Sony went to the trouble - same body, same drivers?

The V6 is a weird headphone in that there are times when I listen and I think that it sounds really griity and thin and on other things, it can sound incredibly lifelike. (Although still pretty toppy)

It has a raised bass which kind of counteracts the sharp top end so you do hear some deep bass but it can be dominated by the fierce treble.

As you can see - no massive difference in FR according to Tyll:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m45/iancraig10/1_zps454dd0ad.png[/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back