Sony MDR-V6
Nov 30, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #46 of 109
Going with Beyer would make sense. Since I was going to purchase the replacement pads
biggrin.gif
. I don't think Sennheiser is for me something about them just doesn't rub me right. I do like the looks and what the grado's have to offer. I will look into the Beyer's.

*EDIT* I like the looks of the Beyer's but the impedance looks crazy. I have seen on the RockBox forums that the higher impedance headphones you have that the lower bass and treble response you have on the iPod. Grado still seems like a good option, since it seems even if I buy a $80 pair of Grado's that they will be awesome.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #47 of 109
The 80 ohm dt-250's are fine out of an ipod. Something about the grados rubs me the wrong way, though the only one's I've heard are the sr-80's. Then again, I hate too much treble.

You will need a very quiet environment to listen with open headphones or you'll either be unable to hear the music well or you'll damage your ears from excessive volume. Even things like fans cause too much noise.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #48 of 109
OHHHHHHHHHh. I didn't see the 80ohm version. I do like it and I do like the price. Is the bass a little heavy on them? From the pictures I have seen it looks like they are pretty well built, are they? What is the difference in price from the 80ohm and the 250ohm? Is that just it the impedance? 80ohm I could deal with, 250? No. So I guess it comes down to Grado or BeyerDynamic. Grado is still here because they seem to be so highly rated.

*EDIT*
Kind of a side not but the BeyerDynamics look SOOOOOOOOO comfortable. Are they as good as they look?

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #49 of 109
I haven't heard the 250 ohm dt-250, and I've read conflicting reports over the differences. I enjoy the 80-ohm model immensely.

Bass isn't super heavy, though they have nice low bass extension. They respond well to EQ if you want to tweak it. They respond very well to eq, actually.

They will sound nothing like the sr-80's - you can take a look at the response curves at headphone.com: Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

They should be taken with a grain of salt, and the measurements for IEMS are all wrong in the bass registers, but it is as ok a way as any to compare headphones you haven't heard. The grados will have a lot more treble and upper midrange, and many people find that sound a lot of fun. If there is any way for you to hear them, or order from a store with a return policy, I'd go that route.

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #50 of 109
Thanks for the link Ph0rk, that will come in handy. I believe the BeyerDynamics are for me. I am not sure they will be great on my iPod but I am honestly excited to see how they will be on my computer and other equipment. Anyone have any comments about the Beyer DT 250-80?

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #51 of 109
I am actually getting a pair of Beyer DT150s for myself this Christmas. Might want to take a look at that model as well.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #52 of 109
Looks like you are getting things resolved, but I have to pry anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Spanky- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I don't get and what is holding me back from pursuing another brand is why are the Sony cans rated greatly (5 star) and the other ones mentioned in this thread they have mixed reviews? I am looking into the Grado ones now. Are the SR60's good or should I spend a bit more on something. I am hoping to have about $200 to spend.

1. Where are you going for reviews? Amazon? CNET? Pshhh. This place is more relevant and thorough. Just takes some digging through old threads using the search function.

2. Do you have any sort of reasonable, factual basis for disliking Sennheiser? Have you ever used any of their products? I think most people would agree that they make great products and I wouldn't dismiss them so easily.

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #54 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Spanky- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have anything wrong with sennheiser but nothing really appeals to me about them. Nothing pops out at me. Does anyone have anything negative to say about the DT250-80? Thanks for everyones help.

In no way do I mean for this to be offensive, but which Sennheiser pairs have you tried? Or are you just talking about the company in general?

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #55 of 109
I have not tried any headphones. That is why I came here for advice. I really can't try them out. The closest thing we have here is 30 miles away and we have a Walmart, Staples and a small computer store. I doubt they would let me start opening packages of headphones, let alone have the ones I would be interested in. I'm not saying Sennheisers are bad but theres just nothing about them that wow me.

I know someone out there has something bad to say about the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80... Show yourself. Otherwise, any comments about them would be appreciated since I am really liking them now.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #57 of 109
I think that no matter what, those Beyer's are going to need more power than what the iPod can supply alone. They'll probably never sound as good as they can without an amp IMO.

Secondly, I used to own the V6's.. I miss them, a lot. For some reason, (cord perhaps) one side just gave out and I wound up wrecking them stupidly enough. However, I really enjoyed them a lot and found them to have very nice bass response (not bloated or mushy) and fairly neutral mids and slightly emphasized highs, that would smooth out over time. People have claimed them to be harsh or sibilant, and perhaps it's my old age/ears (35) but I didn't find that to be true at all.

The soundstage is fair. Not huge, nor minuscule. But the presentation is fairly up front, especially compared to the Beyer's IMO. The Beyer's are a bit more smooth, laid back in presentation. Both are detailed, but I'd say that the V6 is a bit more analytical. Not nearly as analytical as the Sennheiser HD 280's though.. which is good.

I think that the V6's are a great bargain. And... I'll tell you what:

I have the Beyer pads. I used them like one or two times before the V6's crapped out. I have a deal for you... You can have them free of charge (given that you live in the U.S.) and... If you find that you don't like the V6's after time (you should give them time to settle in on you psychologically speaking), I'll buy them from you.

How's that ?

P.S. I'll give you the pads whether or not you keep the V 6's. I hope you wind up liking them actually, and you probably will. I personally really want some AKG K240's.

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #58 of 109
That sounds like a hell of a deal. Couple questions. Why would I sell them to you and just not return them to the online store that I purchased them from? How much would you offer? I would be very likely to do this so that I could start out a bit cheaper and then if I decide I want more or think that I want more I can upgrade. Do you want to talk over e-mail? My e-mail is natenkiki2004@yahoo.com I look forward to hearing from ya
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back