SONY MDR V6 or 7506????????????
Nov 7, 2002 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

mberlin74

New Head-Fier
I have read countless reviews and still am at a loss. Some say they are the same phone and others say they are not. I would like to stay under 100.00 and these have peaked my interest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Nov 7, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 43
They're the same. There are relatively few posts on this board that claim they're different in whatever slight way -- they're not, according to the vast majority of posts.

Only differences are in the labelling, packaging, color of the sticker, the plug, and the waranty.

kerely

Nov 7, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 43
I don't think there's ever an official source claiming that they are indeed the same phone. Though it's widely believed that they are the same. V6 is long discontinued by Sony, but somehow they're still available online. I cannot find them in local stores, so I bought a 7506. I got it at a pretty good price after all.

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 43
There was a post here that showed a Sony with an MDR-V6 earcup on one side and a 7506 earcup on the other side... I thought that for me showed once and for all that these are one and the same except for the gold vs nickel plated headphone jack...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 7, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
There was a post here that showed a Sony with an MDR-V6 earcup on one side and a 7506 earcup on the other side... I thought that for me showed once and for all that these are one and the same except for the gold vs nickel plated headphone jack...

...for me it showed once and for all that the manufacturer goofed up....
wink.gif

Well, you're probably right that they're the same.

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
Does the V6 come with a 'pleather' carrying pouch like the 7506?

Mine did... yes
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #9 of 43
7506 comes with a service manual, does V6 comes with one as well? By comparing the parts list, we should be able to tell if there's any difference between the 2 headphones.

Nov 9, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 43
You'll never find a press release from Sony touting that two headphones that are priced so differently are the same thing
wink.gif

But you should really do a search on this topic. You'll find confirmation from "official" sources (i.e., Sony employees).

And the V6 aren't exactly discontinued. Sony doesn't list them as a "current" model, but I was told that there's so much demand for them that since they're made on the same lines as the 7506, every once in a while they just make a run of V6. After all, they're exactly the same headphone
wink.gif

P.S. Gergor, the parts lists are identical except for the miniplug (which is a different color) and the circular earcup attachment (since one says 7506 and one says V6).

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
And the V6 aren't exactly discontinued. Sony doesn't list them as a "current" model, but I was told that there's so much demand for them that since they're made on the same lines as the 7506, every once in a while they just make a run of V6. After all, they're exactly the same headphone
wink.gif

Wouldn't Sony make more money by simply discontinue V6, so we're all "forced" to buy the more expensive 7506 or even V600?
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 43
Didn't some people think that perhaps the 7506 has better matching between drivers?

Why shouldn't Sony keep making the V6? They've done the research to make them, have a production facility capible of making them, and don't have to spend anything on marketing or fancy packaging. The V6 is aimed at a different audience, so I don't think that they are loosing much money to it. I mean, part of what makes the V6 good is its price.

Nov 9, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
Didn't some people think that perhaps the 7506 has better matching between drivers?

Some people do think that... but they're wrong
wink.gif

I have to laugh, because every couple months this exact same discussion happens. The most recent one, from a month or so ago, was probably the best. If I can find it, I'll link to it.

EDIT: Found it...
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=16872

Nov 9, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
The V600 isn't even remotely the same 'phone as the V6 or 7506!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I know that, but Sony purposefully make V600 more available. It looks as if sony is making V600 a "replacement" of V6 on its product line. Then why still make V6 at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back