Sony MDR-V6 for studio use and casual listening?
Aug 2, 2011 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Reach

New Head-Fier
Any thoughts? Would It be good for making House oriented music on FL Studio and for casually listening to music (House/RnB/ Dubstep/ Drum & Bass/ Electro.) Also If anyone else have and other recommendations for some cans that would also be very nice.

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 10
Yes Yes Yes!!! I'm listening to my Sony mp3 player with those right now and they are amazing. Hi's, mids and lows are all even and clear. The bass is nice and tight; I listen to alot of hip hop and on most of the songs with deep bass the headphones vibrate my ears a lotl. I love them! I'm about to start doing music production with them also and I think they'll be great for that.

Good luck!

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 10
X1000

but they need a good amount of power. If your source if powered you'll be fine. Any good portable source, Sansa, Cowon, (not ipod) will power them great. PC beware.

Great can for anything as long as you can toss it some power. But not a big deal.

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 10
My experience:

I used them when working as a video editor. They are AWESOME for working with voices since they emphasize frequencies that hold human voices. There is a reason why so many radio DJs use them (and if you watch Howard TV, you'll notice that its their go-to can).

Unfortunately, their emphasis on these frequencies makes them quite harsh and sibilant for casual music listening. This is not something that some good EQ cant take care of, but its there. Naturally, your mileage may vary, there are many people who use them for casual listening and are happy with them.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 10
Casual listening.

The V6 has its charms but for studio use 'these charms' are not usable in my humble opinion. For studio use just try some headphones and choose what you like. If you still like the V6 the most the V6 it is. 

The problem with the V6 is that compared to other headphones certain characteristics of it are revealed. The Pioneer Monitor 10 was more open in the midrange for instance. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
X1000

but they need a good amount of power. If your source if powered you'll be fine. Any good portable source, Sansa, Cowon, (not ipod) will power them great. PC beware.

Great can for anything as long as you can toss it some power. But not a big deal.

I have no problems with ipod powering these. V6 are very sensitive phones (107 dB).

Not sure of the "PC beware" part.

They are fantastic for electronic music and drums IMHO, but also good for general listening.
Disclamer: I'm not audiphile or snob.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 10
I agree with the previous poster, I haven't experienced any advantages to amping the MDR-7506 over just running them from any source. They are extremely easy to drive and their sound doesn't change with amping. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 10
I guess I should get my 7506 back from limbo and try them out, but memory (> 5 years ago) tells me that though I got a lot of full-spectrum detail from them unamped through my iPod 4G, they had added dimension, dynamics, and all-around oomph/energy from powered sources like my Firebox.  Enjoyable, but not required for what these cans do.

They are great (for their price, especially the V6) for casual listening if you like an analytical headphone.  And apparently there's that harsh treble characteristic that many speak of, mentioned a few posts above.  I don't remember that.  These things were on my head 8-12 hours a day on most days and because they showed me love, I loved them right back.

I've heard much better headphones since I last wore the 7506.  I am anxious to try them again.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 10
I'm thinking of buying MDR-V6 or SRH840. They are not available to try in our local store so I really have no idea which one is more suitable for me.

I usually listen to rock and electronica, sometimes dance music and hiphop. I'm bass lover. I'm happy with powerful and solid bass sound. I want my new headphones can produce high volume with portable player too. Please give me some comments. Thanks in advance.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I'm thinking of buying MDR-V6 or SRH840. They are not available to try in our local store so I really have no idea which one is more suitable for me.

I usually listen to rock and electronica, sometimes dance music and hiphop. I'm bass lover. I'm happy with powerful and solid bass sound. I want my new headphones can produce high volume with portable player too. Please give me some comments. Thanks in advance.

First of all - there is a pretty big price gap between these two (100$), so what is your budget? The Shure will most definitely be a more refined can than the Sony, it is simply better made and the price backs this up. Moreover, frequency response charts show that the Shure has way more bass than the Sony.

You might also consider Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and KRK Systems KNS 8400. Both these cans are closed studio-type cans and they both have great bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back