Sony MDR-V6 driver Myth
Apr 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Catharsis

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

A lot of discussion tends to ensue regarding the differences between the MDR-V6 and the MDR-7506 and the common answers based on part numbers between both models have been:

a) the outer earcups are embossed with either V6 w/ red "for digital" sticker, or 7506 w/ blue "professional" sticker
b) the V6 terminates in a nickel 1/8" plug and the 7506 a gold 1/8" plug.  Both have screw-on 1/4" adapters.

However, there seems to be some argument that despite identical driver part numbers, that the V6 uses a samarium cobalt magnet (slightly weaker) versus the 7506 which uses a modern neodymium magnet.  While historically, this may have been true, as of today, both devices use identical neodymium magnets which would explain their identical part numbers.  It is for this reason, that unless you believe a nickel vs gold plug will provide a marked difference in sound, that the two headphones are identical aside from the cosmetic differences on the cups. 

Evidence provided by Sony themselves (under the specifications tab):

http://store.sony.com/p/DJ-headphones/en/p/MDRV6#specifications

Also, for those into graphs and whatnot, the Sony is one of the most neutral headphones at the price point.  Subjectively comparing it to my DT880s in terms of overall balance, I would have to agree. Here's a comparison to the K701 that illustrates a very similar tonal balance despite the soundstage advantage of the K701.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 3
I wish they didn't have that deep "U" from ~150-400Hz.  I'd probably still have mine if it weren't for that.  I found it makes guitar tones sound thin and lacking cabinet resonance.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 3
That's the one disadvantage of closed headphones that I typically see.  Good quality open cans have a round / smooth response from 1khz downward, whereas closed headphones (even good ones) will have some suckouts and humps even if slightly minor. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back