SONY MDR-V6 DETACHABLE CABLE MOD
Jun 26, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #32 of 61
Trying to post my own MDR 7506 thread but so far I've been blocked. Please unblock me, I think people will like my design and work.

If memory serves, I believe the forum software enforces a minimum post count before a new member is permitted to start a thread. It's not huge.

Anyway, welcome to Head Fi
:wink:

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #33 of 61
Jul 14, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #34 of 61
Here's the album:

Sony MDR 7506 Bluetooth + Detachable Cable + Beyerdynamics Pads Mod

http://imgur.com/a/lORBc

Pictures in random order.

Time it took me alltogether: 4 hours.
Average soldering skills required, used a 3$ soldering iron from the Dollar store. Make sure to use flux, it makes everything easier!
Female aux from B&H Electronics in NYC for 3$
Beyerdynamics from same store for 23$. Turns out Amazon with shipping is often more expensive! Buy locally and support biz where you live!
All cables from old 3.5mm aux cable.
Drilled holes with drill nad drilling machine.
Used this bluetooth adaptor and took it apart: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-USB-Bluetooth-Wireless-Receiver-Audio-Music-Adapter-Car-Home-AUX-Speaker-/201210654465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed916ef01

Listening time: Around 6 hours. Could take a larger battery as there is much more space but I don't really mind, I charge them every night when I go to bed.

Sound quality: I sealed any possible holes with glue. Blind test of right/left with a couple of my friends, nobody could tell the difference. Can't tell the difference myself, bass/treble sounds exactly the same to me.

Definitely worth it. Bluetooth headphones are so much more comfortable to wear, now I really loathe cables. And the beyerdynamics mod ... of course...

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #35 of 61
Granted, I'm not a very experienced audiophile, although I prefer my music in .ogg or .wav format. I also use these for DJing, so I left the detachable cable mod and soldered a male aux connector to the original coiled cable which I now use for DJing. The bluetooth module has a microphone built in and theoretically once could use it for phone calls etc. but the location of it isn't the best and the person you're talking to wouldn't be able to hear you clearly. Instead i bought this cable http://v-moda.com/1-button-speakeasy-cable/ which I connect to the headphones and thus use them as a headset. If you really want to go out of your way you could solder the small mic (seen in picture 4 on the left: round and golden, connects to underside of PCB) to a longer cable and run that cable to the outside of the headphones/closer to the wearer's mouth.

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #36 of 61
Also, the range of the bluetooth module is EXCELLENT. I forgot my phone in my room, walked to the kitchen with my headphones on (through a door, down a 30 feet hallway, around the corner and through another door) and only then did the sound cut/did I realize that I left my phone.

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #37 of 61
Here's the album:

Average soldering skills required, used a 3$ soldering iron from the Dollar store. Make sure to use flux, it makes everything easier!

Beyerdynamics from same store for 23$. Turns out Amazon with shipping is often more expensive! Buy locally and support biz where you live!
Used this bluetooth adaptor and took it apart: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-USB-Bluetooth-Wireless-Receiver-Audio-Music-Adapter-Car-Home-AUX-Speaker-/201210654465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed916ef01

Listening time: Around 6 hours. Could take a larger battery as there is much more space but I don't really mind, I charge them every night when I go to bed.

Sound quality: I sealed any possible holes with glue. Blind test of right/left with a couple of my friends, nobody could tell the difference. Can't tell the difference myself, bass/treble sounds exactly the same to me.

Definitely worth it. Bluetooth headphones are so much more comfortable to wear, now I really loathe cables. And the beyerdynamics mod ... of course...

That's awesome! You're a freaking artist. I share your dual loves of velour pads and bluetooth receivers. I use this receiver:
http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Mpow-Streambot-Streaming-Smartphones/dp/B00MJMV0GU/ref=pd_sim_107_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0K816EM8C12ZXDXY7YF9
daisy chained to a fiio e6, and double sided taped to the side of the cans. Oh, and they're m50's instead of v6's, but both cans' measurements are really close to each other. I'm really impressed with what you did there. How tight is the fit between the guts and the driver? it looks like you've got like 1 or 2 mm at best. Did you have to remove any internal padding or anything like that?

Also, would you mind drawing out a diagram of how you wired it all together? I'm curious to see how you integrated the bluetooth receiver with the female jack.

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #38 of 61
Yeah, cool! Wanted the bluetooth mod but didn't want to have big adapters/receivers/amps strapped to the side of my head. The bluetooth module is fairly thin, there should be around 2-3 mm bw the driver and the module. Bw the female jack and the driver there's around 1mm distance.
Volume is OK, not much quieter than with cord. I use them mainly with my phone and VLC media player and can adjust the EQ and cancel out a few of the MDR7506s imperfections. This bluetooth module is loud enough to be used without an amp.

Drawing skills aren't the best but this should help:

I could've soldered the wires directly from the BT receiver to the driver and thus used shorter cables but decided to solder them to the female jack. Trial and error and i connected the right ones to the right connections. from there i had cables soldered to the driver already.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #39 of 61
So I just spent an hour or two working on a detachable mod for my pair of mdr-cd900st.  Basically what i did was:

1) Cut the wire inside cup with about half an inch extra cable pulled in to wire to a 1/8" jack I bought (adjust to how much cable length you think you need)

2) Use a reamer to expand the cable exit hole for the female jack and to fit inside smoothly.

2) Tape around the square raised plastic surround the cable exit on the outside of the ear cup and file it down level flush to the ear cup.  (Most time consuming part)

3) Strip the wires of the freshly cut cable end and solder it to the plug (be careful with wires as the wires connected to the back of the drivers break easily)

4) Place the plug in the cable exit hole and secure with the included nut on the outside.

http://www.markertek.com/product/30-493a/calrad-30-493a-stereo-3-5mm-panel-mount-jack-mounts-in-1-4in-hole

This mod just costs about $1.59, ignoring tools costs if you already have them.  It requires the tools below
  1. small file
  2. Soldering iron
  3. Solder
  4. reamer
  5. 1/8 calrad female jack

Note after the mod, since the original cable exit hole is used, thin-styled 1/8 plug are required.  ex) both ends of the stock mdr-7520 coil cable work, but a switchcraft locking 1/8 plug's nut is too big for the small plug clearance

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #41 of 61

As you can see there is barely any clearance for even average size plugs.  For sure a switchcraft locking plug will not fit, since the locking nut is way too big.  It's probably a good idea to replace the internal wires between the jack and driver, since those are so thin.  I actually broke both white and red wires, so I had to strip and solder them back on.

May 23, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #42 of 61
  Here's the album:

Nice post I would like to know all the wire connections and how you fit the beyerdynamics pads.

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #43 of 61
I actually did a write-up on a very similar process for my MDR-7506. My goal was to add the detachable cable so I could use a Beats iPhone cable that has a mic, volume, and the other standard iPhone controls. It worked beautifully. I didn't even realize this post was here when I did the original mod. Probably would've been helpful. :) You can check out the mod here. I even put a time-lapse video of the mod on YouTube. I've done a bunch of these for friends and even thought about selling the service at one point. It never gained enough traction for me to really consider it.

However, I now own an iPhone without a headphone jack, so I needed something different. I didn't want to use Apple's stupid dongle, or a bluetooth adapter, and didn't feel like modding my 7506 further... I like my 7506 just as they are. I spent a lot of time looking around and testing wireless headphones assuming I'd have to go with something I didn't really want (I love my 7506). I eventually found the Sony MDR-ZX770BT. I went through the specs and read several comments about the drivers in these headphones, from what I can tell (and from what other people are saying), they use the same drivers as the V6 - which are (nearly) identical to the 7506. I found a pair of these BT cans for $59 via Amazon Warehouse Deals - no damage to the headphones, just the box. 17 hours of bluetooth, built-in microphone for taking calls, and the same (mostly) drivers I've come to love... I felt vindicated and no longer cared about Apple's stupid dongle.

I've only had them for a few days, so I haven't had time to "break-in" the drivers, but I'm satisfied so far... especially for the price. Bluetooth isn't wired, but at least these aren't Beats. Bleh. There is a more expensive option beyond this too. Sony makes a bluetooth & noise-canceling version of these (again, using the same driver as the V6) but they're significantly more expensive: $200+ everywhere I looked. They have the ability to use a wired or a bluetooth connection - you'll always get better audio quality via a wired connection. Since I didn't care about the noise canceling, and I already have the 7506, I couldn't justify paying the higher price.

Maybe at some point, I'll open up these new bluetooth cans and add a 1/8 inch audio jack. LOL. If there's room, that would be way cheaper than bumping up to the noise-canceling version.

I'm not sure why I hadn't seen or heard of these bluetooth options previously. They're really hard to find online outside of Amazon. It doesn't seem like many stores carry either version. Very weird. I haven't found any information about Sony discontinuing them or bad reviews listing defects or problems... no news is good news, right? That said, if you're actually interested in these, I'd suggest you head over to Amazon and snag one of the warehouse deals before they're gone. You're not gonna find a better pair of bluetooth headphones for that price.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #44 of 61
I have just completed my own V6 detachable cable mod... I didn't feel like grinding the cable exit hole down so I have just used epoxy to hold the 3.5mm jack in.. pretty ~easy mod  ... a little fiddly no major problems here..   makes these much more portable ..

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #45 of 61
  I have just completed my own V6 detachable cable mod... I didn't feel like grinding the cable exit hole down so I have just used epoxy to hold the 3.5mm jack in.. pretty ~easy mod  ... a little fiddly no major problems here..   makes these much more portable ..

That looks great... what part/number did you use for the 3.5mm jack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back