Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #347 of 517
V6 is like a dream headphone for modders. It's capabilities are amazing. Currently, my V6 sounds like a SE846 with treble filters(with little less bass). The best part? The clarity of the original V6 remains, so it remains ultra clear and warm. Try modding these. They are nearly impossible to break, so they're easy to mod too!

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #348 of 517
Q-Tip mod?

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #351 of 517
Looks like V6 packaging was changed for year 2014 (not fake, right?)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/B34AAOSwFAZTty4T/$_57.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/vx4AAOSwirZTty4o/$_57.JPG

Genuine.  New packaging and price $108 is new retail.

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #352 of 517
  No. Pad modding(i don't think anyone has done what I've done), air vent(drilled a hole), and foam.

Hmmm, I am intrigued in your modding and want to subscribe to your newsletters.  Angling the pads maybe?

Also chiming in as an Owner of:

MDR-7506
MDR-V6 (no longer in possession of however)
MDR-ZX700 (I consider them the logical successors to the V6s)
MDR-V900HD

That I happen to like V900HDs over the 7506.  Yes, there are variants like me that exist.  It sounds less harsh and slightly less boomy compared the 7506s.  It just sounds right to my ears on more sources than the 7509s.  Likewise, the ZX700s are the more refined and smoother version of 7506.  I might be the only one that's saying this, and if that's the case... Can I have your V900HDs?

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #353 of 517
  Hmmm, I am intrigued in your modding and want to subscribe to your newsletters.  Angling the pads maybe?

Also chiming in as an Owner of:

MDR-7506
MDR-V6 (no longer in possession of however)
MDR-ZX700 (I consider them the logical successors to the V6s)
MDR-V900HD

That I happen to like V900HDs over the 7506.  Yes, there are variants like me that exist.  It sounds less harsh and slightly less boomy compared the 7506s.  It just sounds right to my ears on more sources than the 7509s.  Likewise, the ZX700s are the more refined and smoother version of 7506.  I might be the only one that's saying this, and if that's the case... Can I have your V900HDs?

I pretty much cut out the foam, so there was only pads. I'll try more modding later and post the best result.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #354 of 517
A bunch of [fellow] crazed modders tinker with these little gems?  I was right to pick them up.

Official ATH-M30 pads are the same dimensions as stock V6/7506 pads but have a smoother inner side that helps improve bass response.  Even soundstaging a pinch.  The inner dimensions are smaller, though, resulting mildly boosted bass, too.
I like HM5 pads best on V6 and 7506.  The whole sound improves with the HM5 pads; clearer and tighter bass and treble; cleaner and smoother, bit more fleshed out mids; improved soundstaging, but you get increased upper mids boost a bit.  I need more pairs of these pads, though, as I have to take them off of my M50 to use, lol!  The stock pads sound like they suffocate the drivers versus HM5s.
Edit: yes, the HM5 pads fit without being very loose or having a bunch of material sticking out way past the edge of the baffle.  It is just barely right.  Plus, I use the regular HM5 pads, not the newer version with improved foam stuffing.  I'll get around to trying the newer version later.

Although I prefer the Sony stock pair personally, I have tried the Beyerdynamic DT250 velour pads and didn't care for the fit. There seemed to be too much extra material around the edges of the pads IMHO. These are the velour replacements that get suggested most for the V6/7506 around the net, but I bought the Auray Velour Pads from B&H and thought they had a much nicer look and way better fit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886945-REG/Auray_epd_mdr7506_Deluxe_Velour_Earpads_Pair.html

Agreed about the lack of isolation (can notice that immediately after swapping them out) but any velour pads are very comfortable, so it's a personal choice thing there.

I put the stock pads back on and just keep the velour pads around anyway, I can wear these headphones for 5-6 hours plus with the stock pads and have no comfort issues.

How was the sound with those Auray pads?  I quick search through this thread and people mentioning velour pads say little about how the sound changes with them.  They don't become shrill/fatiguing/sibilant?   Uber bright?  Loss of subbass?

On an unrelated note, anyone tinkered with V55?  I put HM3 pads on one, they are firmer and deeper with much bigger inner dimensions versus their stock pads, and V55 became pretty amazing in sound versus what it was before, but I also got +26dB mountains centered at ~2kHz, ~5kHz, and ~11kHz.  I can't use V55 without EQ that way, but I have no idea how to tame all that treble and upper midrange without killing the rest of the sound.  Got rid of 'em, lol.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #355 of 517
How was the sound with those Auray pads?  I quick search through this thread and people mentioning velour pads say little about how the sound changes with them.  They don't become shrill/fatiguing/sibilant?   Uber bright?  Loss of subbass?

When I tried out the pearstone velour pads, I noticed a loss of isolation. I went with auray sheepskin pads and am very happy with them.

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #356 of 517
Not to be mean, but that doesn't even come close to answering my question.

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #357 of 517
I'll elaborate... I did a lot of A-B testing with the original pads and velour pads, like setting up tones that alternate from left to right that I could listen to with one of each pad on.

In the end I found that the velours leaked in outside sounds in the mid range. I could turn the volume up enough to compensate for that leakage, and it created the perception of more bass, and a little more very high range frequencies.

-- hope that helps a little, or at least keeps the thread awake.

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #358 of 517
I own the V-55, V6, V2 and the CD900ST. I was also lucky enough to track down a V3 and a V4 recently. If anyone is interest I'll do a strip down of the V2, V3 and V4 when I get the two latest finds through the post.

Here is a website that has the specifications of the CD700, the CD900 and others in the series. It's In Japanese but should be still be understandable.
http://audio-heritage.jp/SONY-ESPRIT/etc/index3.html

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #359 of 517
Sorry for taking so long with images, I didn't realise the V4s would take so long to arrive. I received them today and was given an unpleasant suprise. The pads, which I'm assuming are original, had melted. The pleather outer leaves a sticky black residue on anything it touches and in foam inside has disintegrated all over the drivers inside. They looked fine in the seller's photographs, so I'm assuming that they were left somewhere warm during transit. I've condensed the photographs into one image for convenience and for those with a slower connection.

http://imgur.com/qi0lufL

01 shows the pads on the V4. Cleaning these is going to give me hours of amusement.
02 shows the V3 cup
03 shows the V4 cup
04 shows a comparison of headbands. From the bottom it's V4, V3, V2, V6 and finally CD900ST
05 shows the V2 cup

The V2, V3 and V4 all use 30mm drivers. The V4 has a metal guard covering it's driver, similar to what is found on the V6 and CD900ST, this is lacking on the V2 and V3.
None of them have the folding hinges of the V6.
The cable on the V2 and V3 is double sided, non-coiled and ends in a rubber encased 3.5mm jack with a screw on 6.4mm adaptor. The cable on the V4 is identicle to what is found on the V6 with the same jack.
I can't confirm that these are unmolested examples, so take this information as you will.
How do they sound? I don't really know. The first thing I did when I removed the headphones from their packaging was discard the old pads. It's difficult to form a solid opinion on sound if I can't listen to them as intended. I would welcome suggestions for replacement pads. I'm assuming that pads from the MDR-ZX100 would fit and be close enough to what was available from Sony in the 80s.

If anyone wants me to take anymore photographs or answer anymore questions, I'll see what I can do. I will be taking them apart at some point in the future to get these three back to their best.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #360 of 517
Measure the baffle diameter in millimeters and search up equivalent-sized pads on fleaBay.

Cut out the dust screens if you want, they might, though unlikely, be needed on the new pads.  Also, HM5 pads are worth a go.  Great results on V6, they will probably help bring out more of CD900ST's goodness, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back