Sony MDR-SA5000 Cable "Repair" Rant
Feb 27, 2006 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mrdon

500+ Head-Fier
Three months ago, a Channel imbalance had developed in the right headphone and I sent them to Sony for repair. After a great deal of runarond with Sony concerning their warranty, they agreed to fix them if I pay for labor. Last week, I just received my SA5k's back from Sony repair after three months! Yes, three months. I really love these phones and I was overjoyed to have them back. I listened to them for about two days and guess what...the right channel issue reappeared. I read through some threads that others have experienced a similar issue and the fix is to replace the rather cheap cord. How cheap is it? Well, just take a look at this picture.
SA5Krepair.jpg

If you unscrew the little connector piece you will find a spliced wire on a pair of $400 headphones! IMHO, this is absolutely unacceptable. (I wish there was a way to let Sony know just to keep them and myself honest.)
biggrin.gif

Seeing that I have to replace it myself (which I should have done in the first place), I have ordered a 12ft. length of Mogami W2893 Miniature Quad Mic Cable and a gold Neutrik 1/4 plug from redco.com.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant.

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I agree.
The impressive external look and feel mixed with cutting corners at the innards is a bad move.
The whole cable is total crap.Unnecessarily microphonic and lots of reported failures at the Y part where the cable splits.On top of that it's not easily replaceable.Looks expensive but it's just flawed engineering.

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 7
I don't want to make light of your misfortune, I feel for you, but this thread made me smile. I had a pending trade/audition period with thrice's pair and the cable failed on me. I also responded to your ad for a trade of those headphones and yours also failed. So either way I would have been dealing with a defective SA5000 cable had I traded with you or thrice.

What are the chances of that?

Oh well, I'm not interested in those headphones anymore and I am now getting the drarthurwells approved AKG K701's
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Oh well, I'm not interested in those headphones anymore and I am now getting the drarthurwells approved AKG K701's
icon10.gif

Once you replace the cable the problem is done and dusted though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back