Nov 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
Are these any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826159052

sonyheadphones.jpg

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Theyre much cheaper from B&H.

I've read a lot of stuff about them (preparing myself for a possible purchase).
Opinions on them are HEAVILY divided.

Some say theyre way too bassy, some say there isnt enough bass, some say theyre neutral, some say they have very bright treble (seems quite consistent) some say that the brightness of the treble is overrated.

The only real consistency I've seen is they are a. fast and b. detailed. Of course, there are even people who post that they arent as detailed as they seem because its just their frequency sponse making them sound detailed.

They were recommended to me in a thread where I was looking for a sound similar to the ER4S, however what I have read about them (just about every post here) leaves me with very little idea of what they actually sound like.

subscribing to thread.

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 11
depends. If you want detail... then there probably isn't a headphone better then these. If you want a nice warm smooth sound. You probably better off with some other headphone.

(basicly the 2 camps pro and con)

Btw i'm also looking in buying this or the sa3000. I cannot imagine that the leather pads are responsible for the weaker bass in the sa3000... but it seems to be the case.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 11
humm I don't like a warm sound, I want it as detailed as can be and not bass heavy at all..but not monitoring-like when you hear the glitches more than the music.

Do they isolate a bit from the outside noise?

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:::Are these any good?

The only way you will get to know these phones is to try them,I have a balanced pair and love them,but I am partial to the Sony sound.
Yes,they can be very bright depending on the recording,but this is a small trade off for the speed and detail not to mention the tight bass.
These are one phone that I will allways have,they are very easy to drive but like a good source.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 11
Most of the time I do search the posts and learn about stuff. Just thought this way would be more current in relation to the other headphones that just came out. Thx.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plently of reviews and comparisons here. Do ya research.

Theres two or three reviews that I can remember. Then theres about 500 different comparisons with things that seem to describe completely different headphones.

The most useful thread I read was one about a guy selling his sa5k for a qualia

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
humm I don't like a warm sound, I want it as detailed as can be and not bass heavy at all..but not monitoring-like when you hear the glitches more than the music.

Do they isolate a bit from the outside noise?

graphCompare.php

^^^

Also, most of what I have read about this headphone suggests that its most definitely a 'warts and all' headphone.

If you're wondering about frequency response graphs, most of them I have seen put it at roughly the same balance as an AD700.

Of course, if I finally buy these I'll post lots of impressions [:

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep my pc noise is going to be an issue, so I am planning to just get a laptop with a spdif.

noise can ofcourse be digitized :p i know that the earlier versions of the soundblaster live where so poorly build that static was digitized and heard over the digital output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back