Sony MDR-SA3000
Sep 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kirr45

New Head-Fier
What do you guys think about Sony headphones? I'm lookin for new headphones since I broke my Bose Triports. Any suggestions? I was looking at this sony mode and don't know what to make of it. What do you think of Shure SRH550DJ? Does it have a good frequency range? I might get that depending on what people say. Also, does it need an amp?

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 15
I just unboxed mine and compared it to the big brother the SA5000.

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 15
Can I have your empty box?

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 15
i always wanted to buy one of these sony's and compare them to my 240DF's and pioneer monitor 10. just haven't had the money lately to give them a try.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 15
You should, I just got one to compare to the K702.

i plan on to later on. hopefully in couple of weeks. how much are you enjoying your pair?

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 15
I need to receive my pair first, maybe in a week or two I'll have some impression.

alrighty then. my fault. i must of read you wrong then.well, can't wait for the impressions when you get them.

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 15
      Quote:
What do you guys think about Sony headphones? I'm lookin for new headphones since I broke my Bose Triports. Any suggestions? I was looking at this sony mode and don't know what to make of it. What do you think of Shure SRH550DJ? Does it have a good frequency range? I might get that depending on what people say. Also, does it need an amp?

I have the SA5000s. The 3000s use the same driver with a cheaper frame and non-leather pads. I've heard people say the 3000s don't have as much bass without the leather pads that provide you with a better seal. The frequency response is a bit funky and I've heard they can sound cold and bright (they don't on my setup). They are Grado-ish in a way with nice bass punch, a midrange bump, and treble peaks. Not as open sounding as Grados, but also much better behaved and refined (doesn't sound like something is trying to jam a screwdriver into your head). I have no idea how the Bose Triports sound like, so I can't give you a reference. For sure the Sonys will sound faster, more lively, and more detailed.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 15
I heard it on the Phonitor in Jaben...oh dear the treble nearly killed me. They were like swords, what a bad match :p The sound stage and details were really amazing on the SA3000.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
      Quote:

I have the SA5000s. The 3000s use the same driver with a cheaper frame and non-leather pads. I've heard people say the 3000s don't have as much bass without the leather pads that provide you with a better seal. The frequency response is a bit funky and I've heard they can sound cold and bright (they don't on my setup). They are Grado-ish in a way with nice bass punch, a midrange bump, and treble peaks. Not as open sounding as Grados, but also much better behaved and refined (doesn't sound like something is trying to jam a screwdriver into your head). I have no idea how the Bose Triports sound like, so I can't give you a reference. For sure the Sonys will sound faster, more lively, and more detailed.

I was wondering how the treble of the 5K compare to the HD800 on your system?

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #12 of 15
FWIW in my system (VDA-2>Auditor) when i had both, the SA5k's treble response was more linear than the HD800's, I didn't notice any obvious peaks but it was just a tad too much present but also very smooth and extended. I also don't hear the midrange hump that purrin notes (and measured) so we obviously hear things not quite the same.

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
FWIW in my system (VDA-2>Auditor) when i had both, the SA5k's treble response was more linear than the HD800's, I didn't notice any obvious peaks but it was just a tad too much present but also very smooth and extended. I also don't hear the midrange hump that purrin notes (and measured) so we obviously hear things not quite the same.

I had the same experience with the Qualia 010 and the HD-800, The Sony treble response extended above the the 800's and is smoother. I was disappointed with the HD-800 and the Auditor combo. On the other hand the K702 and the Auditor combo was excellent, but I also found out the Auditor do emphasize the low mid's on the K702.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
I was wondering how the treble of the 5K compare to the HD800 on your system?

The HD800 treble is hotter overall. The SA5000 treble actually sounds less cutting (the dip in the middle treble helps) but tends to have certain sizzly spots (not too serious) depending on the musical material. I've been listening to the SA5000s for the past few days.
smile.gif

EDIT: I'm running with HD800 mods too. The differences are not huge. I can only imagine the HD800 without the mods.

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
What do you think of Shure SRH550DJ? Does it have a good frequency range? I might get that depending on what people say. Also, does it need an amp?

Been trying it out the past few days, sound like kind of a Grado flavored SRH840. So leaner and flatter under 1K, shouty midrange, little more treble. Not bad at all for a $100 set, but you'll need the 750DJs pads for it.

Unamped though you might want to spend a little more and get a srh840, these are kind of pushing what an ipod can handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back