Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Aug 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #196 of 1,172
No, it wasn't much at all.  There was really nothing he could do because the case itself is wood, so punching a hole in that would have been worse.  Not only that, but the inside plush cover itself is attached all around to the wooden cover.  The inside cover is mint.  At any rate, it looks better than before, even though will not pass muster as mint example, as far as the case is concerned.  But the phones and the inside cover is mint and that's what matters most, considering the price paid.

So, in the end, I'm still happy with the deal. Perhaps somebody will put up a sale an original case I can buy where the headphones themselves have been damaged or destroyed.  Until then, it will protect the R10s, just like it did before.  It is, what it is.

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #197 of 1,172
ah, this R10 is so sex...like a deluxe cd3k
nico54.gif

nice to see the shipping went fine coz I read some guy on google saying that the pressure in airplanes compartments might damage the BC diaphragms...I just got a cd1700 shipped overseas so it got me a bit worried.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #198 of 1,172
The more and more I read about the manufacturing process in the user manual (which is also mint), the more I'm impressed by the effort that went into producing these.  When they claim they lost money on each R10 produced, I actually start believing this claim to be true.

I'm sure they have made sure that travel in a pressurized compartment would not harm the bio-cellulose dome diaphragms, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to distribute them worldwide very easily.  This particular unit belonged to the SONY Europe Arts Director, who carried it to a bunch of demo sessions for awhile, I'd think.  That's why the exterior cover banged up but the phones themselves show no detectable wear.  I always vince whenever I see a work of art like this mistreated in any way, but I'm glad to have one of these anyway.  I would not have been able to afford a unit in perfectly mint condition.

They are amazing in that they are so light and comfortable given their size.  I need to get a decent amp now, the Raptor is just not cutting it anymore.  Not with these kinds of cans.

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #200 of 1,172
I think that the patchwork repair job has character, like the rest of the case which is a bit beat up. You wouldn't want a patch that looked better than the rest of the case, that would be a bit weird.

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #201 of 1,172
Honestly the case looks better than it functions.  The cheap velvet spray on flocked plastic interior is too tight, and will likely cause rub marks on the paint of the magnesium hangers over time if you use the case all the time. 

The case might look nice to travel with, but it's unnecessarily heavy and the leather covering is a very cheap grade and fragile. 

I would've much preferred a more functional case like the ones that Stax Omega II's come with. 

Anyways, it's the headphones themselves that count. 

-Ed

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #202 of 1,172
x2, the Stax flight case is light years ahead of the R10s.

The only other option would have been to totally strip the entire outer lining and leather and refinish it from top to bottom.  Aside from the probable astronomical costs, it still wouldn't have been authentic.

Patching it up like the did on the other hand prevented the wood panel being exposed to outside air and rotting, which would have been the case eventually.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #203 of 1,172

Quote:
I think that the patchwork repair job has character, like the rest of the case which is a bit beat up. You wouldn't want a patch that looked better than the rest of the case, that would be a bit weird.

I agree. Hopefully, if you do resell it in the future, you can explain and convince the buyer that it only further makes this particular headphone unique and is part of its story (the whole big-wig walking around Europe with it and banging it around). Or just make up something that sounds intriguing 
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #204 of 1,172
I'll be sure to pass that along, although, I'd like to keep this baby for a while.  There are fewer and fewer of them showing up for sale.  There was one the other day at Amazon.co.jp for about $6K, no word on condition or serial number.  Looks like that's the base price these days, so even with the battle-tested case exterior, I'd like to believe it was still worthwhile to jump into it.

Of course, now I need to get a better amp and here we go again...
deadhorse.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #205 of 1,172

Quote:
i would have just payed with cc then after he shipped disputed in paypal to keep the funds in paypal then if they arrive and every thing is good just close the dispute
smily_headphones1.gif

NOTE to Self:   Put this guy on your "Do not do business with" List.

Really Classy work there Sport!

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #206 of 1,172

I'll bet that is TRUE!  I never get disputes, why ya suppose that is?  And you get one EVERY WEEK??!!

Quote:

people dispute me over $25 at least once a week b/c they have no idea what they are doing and dont even bother to email me for a refund.

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #209 of 1,172

Quote:

I'll bet that is TRUE!  I never get disputes, why ya suppose that is?  And you get one EVERY WEEK??!!

well my fathers website which is dedicated to helping adopted kids find there parents or vice versa and a lot of these people dont know how paypal works and hit the pay button  3-4 times then notice this panic and dispute me so then i refund the excess money they sent me happens every week almost so realistically i get 3-4 a week. he charges 2.95-25 per month for access to about 800million names. i help him run the website do refunds answer emails and so forth b/c hes in his late 60s. but he wont let me touch the website its self.

sorry if i dont like giving $160+ to paypal for 2 small transactions maybe you guys like throwing away your money.

http://davidgrayspeoplefinder.com/ is his website

Users who are viewing this thread

Back