Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
May 20, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #826 of 1,150
That’s great to hear! I am surprised by the 4.4mm jack however. How well does the R10 pair with your DAPs, etc?
It sounds awesome with my Ibasso DX220 Max and Sony WM-NW1A/Z.

Aug 15, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #827 of 1,150
Iam listening to Tina Turner Simply the best CD with my bass heavy R10s With My Modded Cary 300Sei
With WE300Bs / Vt231tubes it doesn't,get better then this
Source Lampizator Big seven /EMMlabs CDSD transport

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #828 of 1,150
6C3EE79E-5A66-40CA-AF78-AEFB611C5A98.jpeg

New MDR R-10 owner 🤩 serial n.20 in fantastic condition,i couldn’t be happier

Oct 29, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #830 of 1,150
A few impressions about these magnificent headphones

I tried and owned many TOTL closed back,stellia,9200,820 and many others.
But this one is simply totally different.
I’ve literally never heard a special sound like mdr r-10 can play.
Also i’ve never experienced this special soundstage with any other phones.
My model have serial number n.0132,so this model il bass light,maybe the “only defect”.
The sound is so expanded and well distribuite,i heard all the necessary details without sacrifice musicality;the mids,expecially the voices blown me away;never heard a sibilance,just perfect tonality,accompanied by perfect higs well extended and fatigue free.
But what really outstanding my young 28 years ears is the holographic stage.
Is not expanded like hd800,not too far,at all...but the depth...the deep..the precision,what reproduce this natural sound...i..i don’t have words for this 1989 Sony miracle..i feel very very lucky to ereditate this jewel hand crafted by sony.
Hands down for my little experience,this is the best headphone i’ve ever tried.
It’r really a legend

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #831 of 1,150
Thanks for your impression. I wish Sony just resurrect the R10, and bump up the bass quantity a notch or so…..they would have a perfect headphones.

Totally agreed on the soundstage and sense of realism. The depth cues and layering are second only to the Qualia. The Qualia doesn’t have the tonal correctness of the R10 though.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #832 of 1,150
I think qualia is the rarest headphone!I would be curios to try it.
However I need your help for some advice.
I want to extract the maximum potential from the headphone, so I want to make a recable, but without modifying the headphone by inserting a termination, just connect the new balanced cable directly to the driver.
First question; is this kind of work okay? is it not invasive?
second question, which cable with balanced termination can I put in it? at this point I no longer have a budget, the best quality cable possible, and that have the best sinergy to the mdr 10.
third question, I start to get ahead by preventing; I can buy a cd 3000 to 600.00 €,which I would use as a spare driver to put on the mdr r10 .. can you give me confirms that the drivers are exactly the same?
fourth question, sorry for the questionnaire lol
i want to use the headphones on the go, obviously at home, which dac and portable amplifier can i give it? i am almost certain that the wm1a will act as a bottleneck.
last question but not least .. my headset is almost new, but in the left cups the black textile that covers the driver has slightly detached, showing me the yellow ring, which I am sure that also if is new it will be exposed to deterioration.
know what material it is? is it available around? if not, is there an alternative material?

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #833 of 1,150
Hope you are enjoying your R10!

Some people have had their R10s recabled to be balanced. I personally would never do it: risk (R10s have very thin voice coils so gotta be careful) and tampering with a classic lol (not to mention hit on resale value).

CD3000 drivers are not exactly the same as R10 drivers (there is speculation that later in its lifecycle R10/CD3000 drivers were unified in design and the later R10s used them but never actually heard this confirmed from SONY). There were spare R10 drivers for sale way back when (super expensive). Seem to be all gone now though.

I found the R10 sounds good out of everything even a phone lol because it is easy to drive, fairly low impedance, fairly high sensitivity.

The driver covering is some fabric. Not exactly sure of its specifics. Just to be clear, it's a pretty common misconception that the biocellulose drivers "rot" over time. I don't actually believe this to be the case. The biocellulose drivers are some composite material, they aren't just going to rot in normal conditions. The foam around them might though.

Nov 1, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #834 of 1,150
Hope you are enjoying your R10!

Some people have had their R10s recabled to be balanced. I personally would never do it: risk (R10s have very thin voice coils so gotta be careful) and tampering with a classic lol (not to mention hit on resale value).

CD3000 drivers are not exactly the same as R10 drivers (there is speculation that later in its lifecycle R10/CD3000 drivers were unified in design and the later R10s used them but never actually heard this confirmed from SONY). There were spare R10 drivers for sale way back when (super expensive). Seem to be all gone now though.

I found the R10 sounds good out of everything even a phone lol because it is easy to drive, fairly low impedance, fairly high sensitivity.

The driver covering is some fabric. Not exactly sure of its specifics. Just to be clear, it's a pretty common misconception that the biocellulose drivers "rot" over time. I don't actually believe this to be the case. The biocellulose drivers are some composite material, they aren't just going to rot in normal conditions. The foam around them might though.
I recabled my R10 to balance, and trust me it does not worth it lol

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #835 of 1,150
I don’t know about you guys but I much preferred my R10 in a balanced form. I had my cable basically reterminated to 4 pin XLR and later switched to 4.4 mm Balanced jack by Furutech. Of course, not all amplifiers are created equal and some single-end topologies are better than a balanced one. In general, I have found the R10 to sound better out of a a balanced output. The best I have heard my R10 sound is out of the ECP L3, ECP DSHA4 Ravenswood, and Audio-technical HA-5050H….and an old Single Power SDS-XLR. The R10 does sounds very good out of a portable source such as the Sony NW-WM1Z as well.

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #836 of 1,150
O my god,i dunno what have to do lol
I would like to use my mdr r10 in a portable way in home,so smaller devices like dac,dap or portable amplifiers I think they work better with a balanced cable 4.4
And obviously improve sound signature with a better cable.
Personally I don’t think i’ll sell them,As for me they are “sound Sony cultural story”.
I would be much happier if the biocellulose driver,As @tabness said,will not be deteriorating with the time.
However,If i’ll recable my r10,which cable do you suggest me?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #837 of 1,150
I don’t know about you guys but I much preferred my R10 in a balanced form. I had my cable basically reterminated to 4 pin XLR and later switched to 4.4 mm Balanced jack by Furutech. Of course, not all amplifiers are created equal and some single-end topologies are better than a balanced one. In general, I have found the R10 to sound better out of a a balanced output. The best I have heard my R10 sound is out of the ECP L3, ECP DSHA4 Ravenswood, and Audio-technical HA-5050H….and an old Single Power SDS-XLR. The R10 does sounds very good out of a portable source such as the Sony NW-WM1Z as well.
Oh I mean it dont worth it on a price prospective as non modded r10 generally sale for a higher price, but i am perfectly satisfy with the sonic performance.
I am using Furutech Carbon Plug as well, those plug are awesome.
I cant wait for their NCF version of 4.4 balance.

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #838 of 1,150
Oh I mean it dont worth it on a price prospective as non modded r10 generally sale for a higher price, but i am perfectly satisfy with the sonic performance.
I am using Furutech Carbon Plug as well, those plug are awesome.
I cant wait for their NCF version of 4.4 balance.
I don’t think reterminating with the 4.4 mm will cause the drop in value. There are so many good DAPs now that can really compliment the R10. I am glad that I put the Furutech 4.4 mm on mine.

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #839 of 1,150
I lost any words for describe this headphone..more time I spent with my r10,more I fall in love.
I had the opportunity to hear in the same time the same track with my r10 and with zmf closed back..the r10 for my tastes literally destroy the zmf,different presentation,much much cleaner and top tier resolution,I can’t believe what I felt with the zmf...flat and veiled sound;of course, I understand that a project like the r10 is 32 yo;and the technology sound go far,I admit the r10 lacks and weakness;seem it miss a physical frequency ooonf between 30 and 250 hz...but guys,this legend continue to blown me against newest generation headphones,I also compare with the raal,ok,this one is unique in his way,in detail retrieval eat the r10 day and night;but if I’ve to choose,not because I’m a r10 owner,but objectively I’ll chose them without esitation;we’re talking about the best musically headphone I think in the world,you’re inside the music thanks his vast soundstage,and my god..the voices..no Diana ,no raal,no utopia,NO zmf..any headphone I tried cannot match the voices presentation that r10 give.
As I’m an Italian guy I also love italian artists;now I’m listening “nessun dorma-Pavarotti”..just try to listen..we’re no more talking about high resolution,we’re talking about a real life sound simulation.
This r10 worth each euro I paid.
Pure Art;from the zelkova wood,from his incredible comfort,for his outstanding natural presentation sound,from his incredible height vaste ,accurate soundstage.
I’m enjoy this piece of art?
Yes,I am
P.s sorry for my English,I decided to write without translate to improve my skills lol

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #840 of 1,150
Thank you for your mini review. The R10’s musical presentation can’t be understated. Voices and sound staging prowess are second to none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back