Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,891 of 2,677
can you recommend some hard case that the MA900 will fit? Thanks!

I unfortunately couldn't tell ya as I use these at my home exclusively, thus don't ever have any need for transporting them.

Perhaps someone who does transport them in a case can chime in here and help you out.

May 15, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #1,892 of 2,677
I am thinking about buying these headphones off of amazon japan and I wanted to know if anyone here uses a portable amp with them? I know they aren't portable due to the open the design, I just meant for walking around the house in. My understanding is that these are a great all rounder which is exactly what I am looking for. 

May 15, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,893 of 2,677
  I am thinking about buying these headphones off of amazon japan and I wanted to know if anyone here uses a portable amp with them? I know they aren't portable due to the open the design, I just meant for walking around the house in. My understanding is that these are a great all rounder which is exactly what I am looking for. 

I use the Fiio E10K (not exactly a conventional portable amp, more a portable USB powered Amp/DAC) sometimes with the MA900 and they sell great. I actually just use it straight out of my Macbook Air most of the time as they sound great unamped, but a portable amp definitely wouldn't hurt if you already have one around. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a portable amp JUST for the MA900 though.

May 15, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #1,894 of 2,677

I use the Fiio E10K (not exactly a conventional portable amp, more a portable USB powered Amp/DAC) sometimes with the MA900 and they sell great. I actually just use it straight out of my Macbook Air most of the time as they sound great unamped, but a portable amp definitely wouldn't hurt if you already have one around. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a portable amp JUST for the MA900 though.

The E10K can be used with just an ipod right? Do you use the bass boost with the MA900?

May 16, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,895 of 2,677
The E10K can be used with just an ipod right? Do you use the bass boost with the MA900?

I've never tried to use it with the ipod, and I don't think that's possible as this is designed to be used with computers only (you need to have it powered through its usb somehow), but I've heard of people use Fulla with iphones so maybe its possible with this too... Couldn't tell you for myself though.

I also nearly never use the bass boost with the E10K and don't think its necessary at all with MA900, but the bass boost switch is subtle and well done IMO.

May 17, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #1,896 of 2,677
I pulled the trigger. I ordered through Amazon but it is being imported. Headphones were $189 + $24 for express air mail. I expect to get them this Friday. I hope I don't have to return them.

May 17, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,897 of 2,677
  I pulled the trigger. I ordered through Amazon but it is being imported. Headphones were $189 + $24 for express air mail. I expect to get them this Friday. I hope I don't have to return them.

Why do you even think you're going to return them? For defect?
I really don't think you will like them, but if you do, congratulations.

They don't have the best extension and resolution but i really like them

May 17, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,899 of 2,677

They don't have the best extension and resolution but i really like them

I was disappointed in the detail of mine at first, but then I realized how important ear placement is on them.  

There's still something about the sound that is strange to me, but I haven't figured out what it is.  Maybe it's the truly open back part having an effect.  Or maybe I need more depth in the soundstage.  (It's plenty wide.)  

They're very good overall, there's just something different about the sound I can't describe yet.

May 17, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,900 of 2,677
I plan to build a DAC out of a raspberry pi this summer 
smily_headphones1.gif
 that should be a fun project

May 25, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #1,902 of 2,677
My MA900s just arrived in the mail today and they are awesome! Do you guys believe that these headphones have a burn in or no?

May 27, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #1,904 of 2,677
Very little effect tbh. Sound may get fuller when fully burned in or that just may have been my imagination at the time. 

May 27, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #1,905 of 2,677

I was disappointed in the detail of mine at first, but then I realized how important ear placement is on them.  

There's still something about the sound that is strange to me, but I haven't figured out what it is.  Maybe it's the truly open back part having an effect.  Or maybe I need more depth in the soundstage.  (It's plenty wide.)  

They're very good overall, there's just something different about the sound I can't describe yet.

That strange is likely the "bass lens" It is designed to focus the lows on a more specific part of the diaphragm (central) which is why it lacks sub bass without an eq boost and it is sensitive to overpowering. Before the Z7 employed a metallic coating to use a 70mm for all freq's they used a bass lens. As explained to me by a Sony man here in Japan it was supposed to limit the effects of low freq resonance on the outer parts of the diaphragm which usually is where the cause of slow recovery for the large diaphragm occurs. 1Hz is still measured in the same way with portable audio as home audio. A rise a fall and return to stationary being 3 events that are a Hz.

Having a bass lens speeds up the cycle but takes away the slowest movements which are in the sub-bass. For that trade off you get a huge stage and I think the depth is great if the source and file were mastered in such a way. The highs can be a bit Lo-Fi ish at high volume but the mids are amazing and the sound is around you.

I almost tried to off load these today but came to my senses. These are keepers for many reasons. I think the thing that is getting you is basic to a very unique concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back